Search
Register
Dax Pierson awarded $18 million in lawsuit against Ford.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Ardamus315

good news. at the very least, he was blessed to get that money to pay for his medical expenses and etc.
Post Thu May 28, 2009 3:28 pm
it is yourself you seek

Great news! Dax is one of the nicest and most fun musicians I have had the pleasure of meeting. We took some awesome pictures with him in Eugene shortly before the accident and I remember being hit hard by the news. I still rock my Dax shirt around, even though I'm too chunky for it now.

I really hope this goes through.
Post Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Travadone

im trying to get some of that ford money.
Post Thu May 28, 2009 3:55 pm
anomaly
Loserface

damn, I remember way back when this happened.

I was more pulling for Dax to recover, but this is a good ending too.
Good to hear.
Post Thu May 28, 2009 4:29 pm
AdamBomb

Man...this is such a heartwrenching story. I hope this sticks and he can improve his quality of life. I couldn't imagine going through what he has gone through.
Post Thu May 28, 2009 6:14 pm
Storm Davis

Captiv8 wrote:
The amount seems a bit excessive, no? And how do you prove that a seat being sheared from its screws faulty manufacturing? I imagine quite a few things dislodge and break when a vehicle rolls two and a half times. I'm not on Ford's side here, and I think Dax Pierson is fantastic. I'm just sayin. He should at least get enough to cover his medical expenses, and a chunk after that, but $18 million seems way too high.

I don't know if its high enough. The only way to get corporations to make changes is to hit them in the pocket so hard that they don't want to have it happen again, for fear of suffering an additional financial loss.

So an effective judgment is one that makes it fiscally prudent for the automaker to fix the problem in the future. Because if they can just pay to make it go away on the occasions it does happen and continue to reap profits that offset that payment, they won't bother with any changes they don't absolutely have to make. The money is going to win out over human decency on every occasion that escapes the eye of the media, where bad publicity can lead to decreased revenue.

Also, if you do indeed think before you speak, you do a piss poor job of it.
Post Thu May 28, 2009 6:38 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mac Lethal
the one with the back hair

I'd be very interested in seeing how much money he actually gets. Ford will probably try to tangle this up in court for the next 15 years, via appeals and shit.

The idea that $18 million is "too much" or "a lot" of money in exchange for being paralyzed from the shoulders down, and in need of 24/7 care for the rest of his life is insane. $18 million is almost insulting.

Quadriplegia is very devastating. Besides the fact that Dax won't be able to walk again. He also will be very prone to diseases, infections, and viruses. That kind of physical inactivity is very destructive to the body and immune system. Bed sores, staph infections, all sorts of shit.

Captiv8 wrote:
The amount seems a bit excessive, no? And how do you prove that a seat being sheared from its screws faulty manufacturing? I imagine quite a few things dislodge and break when a vehicle rolls two and a half times. I'm not on Ford's side here, and I think Dax Pierson is fantastic. I'm just sayin. He should at least get enough to cover his medical expenses, and a chunk after that, but $18 million seems way too high.

Yeah, I suppose a parade and $350.00 in Ford vouchers would have sufficed.
Post Thu May 28, 2009 10:19 pm
tommi teardrop

Captiv8 wrote:
First off, without knowing any of the details of the case, I can assure that there were safety experts, biomechanical experts and engineers retained to explain to the jury exactly how Ford's negligence was a cause of his injuries. They don't just waltz into court and say "hey I got hurt. It must be Ford's fault."

Second, keep in mind that out of that 18 million, he will paying his attorneys close to 40%. Out of the remaining 60% he also has to pay all of the costs of litigation and trial, which in a case like this, could be enormous. You have experts working at several thousand dollars per hour. And for trial, things get pushed back and you end up paying those experts tens of thousands of dollars for sitting in the hall because the previous witness took longer than expected. You may be paying them for their travel time as well if they are not from the area. Copy charges alone would make you shit your pants in cases this big.

Then he also has to pay any medical liens that may exist, and those could be well over a million dollars. In addition to that, he will, in the future, need to pay for his medical care which is probably very, very expensive.

And he is being compensated for his past and future pain and suffering, past and future medical expenses and past and future loss of earning until his late 70s. All of a sudden that number doesn't seem so large.

Can you put a number on being able to walk or have children or the number of other things a person in this situation has had taken away from them?

And this is an amount that will have to suffice for the rest of his life.

In my opinion, it is not high, at all.

mean, what is the average wait on appeals to the supremes in CA these days?
Post Thu May 28, 2009 10:30 pm
Shinigami

wonderful news, best thing i've heard all day.
Post Thu May 28, 2009 10:32 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

tommi teardrop wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:
First off, without knowing any of the details of the case, I can assure that there were safety experts, biomechanical experts and engineers retained to explain to the jury exactly how Ford's negligence was a cause of his injuries. They don't just waltz into court and say "hey I got hurt. It must be Ford's fault."

Second, keep in mind that out of that 18 million, he will paying his attorneys close to 40%. Out of the remaining 60% he also has to pay all of the costs of litigation and trial, which in a case like this, could be enormous. You have experts working at several thousand dollars per hour. And for trial, things get pushed back and you end up paying those experts tens of thousands of dollars for sitting in the hall because the previous witness took longer than expected. You may be paying them for their travel time as well if they are not from the area. Copy charges alone would make you shit your pants in cases this big.

Then he also has to pay any medical liens that may exist, and those could be well over a million dollars. In addition to that, he will, in the future, need to pay for his medical care which is probably very, very expensive.

And he is being compensated for his past and future pain and suffering, past and future medical expenses and past and future loss of earning until his late 70s. All of a sudden that number doesn't seem so large.

Can you put a number on being able to walk or have children or the number of other things a person in this situation has had taken away from them?

And this is an amount that will have to suffice for the rest of his life.

In my opinion, it is not high, at all.

mean, what is the average wait on appeals to the supremes in CA these days?

yeah, but jeez...it's not like he deserved millions of dollars or anything. That's so greedy.
Post Thu May 28, 2009 10:34 pm
tommi teardrop

Yeah, at some point you just have to pull yourself up by the bootstraps and take responsibility for your own misfortune.

I just ain't the suin' type, you know?
Post Thu May 28, 2009 10:50 pm
Dr Sagacious

Good for him. If you get hurt on the job to any degree, your employer is entitled to help you out.

If this goes into appeals, this will give Ford a really bad image. Not that it doesn't already have one. They should let it go.
Post Fri May 29, 2009 12:08 am
jehu

mac & tommi are killin it. 18mil IS insulting. at least double & maybe it might be a good start. and thats a small maybe.
Post Fri May 29, 2009 12:12 am
mindtoast

WOAH it happened when the van was travelling at 35mph?? 58 km/h??

shit was defective dawg...don't care how many times it rolled.
Post Fri May 29, 2009 4:24 am
poisonfree

It's easy to say 18 million is "a bit much" when you can walk.

There isn't a $ amount that can give Dax what was taken from him. This is at least something, and at least holds accountable a company which most often gets away with this kind of shit.
Post Fri May 29, 2009 4:48 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next