Register
uk paper: new Abu Ghraib photos depict rape/sexual assault
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

uk paper: new Abu Ghraib photos depict rape/sexual assault  Reply with quote  

Quote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/5395830/Abu-Ghraib-abuse-photos-show-rape.html

Abu Ghraib abuse photos 'show rape'
Photographs of alleged prisoner abuse which Barack Obama is attempting to censor include images of apparent rape and sexual abuse, it has emerged.

By Duncan Gardham, Security Correspondent and Paul Cruickshank
Last Updated: 11:52PM BST 27 May 2009

At least one picture shows an American soldier apparently raping a female prisoner while another is said to show a male translator raping a male detainee.

Further photographs are said to depict sexual assaults on prisoners with objects including a truncheon, wire and a phosphorescent tube.

Another apparently shows a female prisoner having her clothing forcibly removed to expose her breasts.

Detail of the content emerged from Major General Antonio Taguba, the former army officer who conducted an inquiry into the Abu Ghraib jail in Iraq.

Allegations of rape and abuse were included in his 2004 report but the fact there were photographs was never revealed. He has now confirmed their existence in an interview with the Daily Telegraph.

The graphic nature of some of the images may explain the US President’s attempts to block the release of an estimated 2,000 photographs from prisons in Iraq and Afghanistan despite an earlier promise to allow them to be published.

Maj Gen Taguba, who retired in January 2007, said he supported the President’s decision, adding: “These pictures show torture, abuse, rape and every indecency.

“I am not sure what purpose their release would serve other than a legal one and the consequence would be to imperil our troops, the only protectors of our foreign policy, when we most need them, and British troops who are trying to build security in Afghanistan.

“The mere description of these pictures is horrendous enough, take my word for it.”

In April, Mr Obama’s administration said the photographs would be released and it would be “pointless to appeal” against a court judgment in favour of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).

But after lobbying from senior military figures, Mr Obama changed his mind saying they could put the safety of troops at risk.

Earlier this month, he said: “The most direct consequence of releasing them, I believe, would be to inflame anti-American public opinion and to put our troops in greater danger.”

It was thought the images were similar to those leaked five years ago, which showed naked and bloody prisoners being intimidated by dogs, dragged around on a leash, piled into a human pyramid and hooded and attached to wires.

Mr Obama seemed to reinforce that view by adding: “I want to emphasise that these photos that were requested in this case are not particularly sensational, especially when compared to the painful images that we remember from Abu Ghraib.”

The latest photographs relate to 400 cases of alleged abuse between 2001 and 2005 in Abu Ghraib and six other prisons. Mr Obama said the individuals involved had been “identified, and appropriate actions” taken.

Maj Gen Taguba’s internal inquiry into the abuse at Abu Ghraib, included sworn statements by 13 detainees, which, he said in the report, he found “credible based on the clarity of their statements and supporting evidence provided by other witnesses.”

Among the graphic statements, which were later released under US freedom of information laws, is that of Kasim Mehaddi Hilas in which he says: “I saw [name of a translator] ******* a kid, his age would be about 15 to 18 years. The kid was hurting very bad and they covered all the doors with sheets. Then when I heard screaming I climbed the door because on top it wasn’t covered and I saw [name] who was wearing the military uniform, putting his **** in the little kid’s ***…. and the female soldier was taking pictures.”

The translator was an American Egyptian who is now the subject of a civil court case in the US.

Three detainees, including the alleged victim, refer to the use of a phosphorescent tube in the sexual abuse and another to the use of wire, while the victim also refers to part of a policeman’s “stick” all of which were apparently photographed.

Post Wed May 27, 2009 9:19 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

yikes.

yikes.
Post Wed May 27, 2009 9:50 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Jesus... I guess I understand Obama's position more now. If those Danish cartoons resulted in the dozens of deaths in the ensuing protests, can you imagine the outcry from photos of American troops sexually assaulting male and female prisoners? There's no denying that publishing those photos would put any number of people — the vast majority of them innocent of the crimes depicted— in harm's way.

But, obviously, you do it anyway.
Post Wed May 27, 2009 10:10 pm
firefly

Jesus ......

Sounds like hell on earth. And we're told that they're the monsters ....
Post Wed May 27, 2009 10:46 pm
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

I'm conflicted on this, assuming that it's true. i'm concerned about how these photos would affect troop safety, the perception of US policy, and anyone living in regions of islamic extremism or facing the direct threat of it. not to mention further damage it could do to the victims. I do think that the obama administration should 1: release the details of the extent of the abuse and 2: immediately begin a full investigation into the matter and prosecute those involved to the full extent of the law. that's something i expect to hear in the coming weeks if this story is true.
Post Wed May 27, 2009 10:52 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
shambhala

There is a reason these pictures have to see the light of day. It's not about protecting Americans, it's about giving some small measure of respect to the people who we mistreated like this. This shit falls squarely on Obama's lap.

You don't censor evidence of torture, period. Would we accept Slobodan Milosevic telling the Hague that he can't release pictures of dead Bosnians because it would "endanger Serbs?" What about Omar Bashir, would it be okay for him to say, "sorry, I can't release pictures of Arab militia raping Darfurian women because it would endanger Sudanese soldiers?" The point here, is that it would "endanger" the people responsible for handing down command decisions that created this kind of environment, and that is exactly the reason why they must be released.

Beyond that, the issue is simple respect for the victims. The practicality arguments that you're making are exactly the kind of "have it both ways" moral cowardice that Democrats are famous for, and in the end it's just as bad as the Republicans who pushed these policies because you're enabling them to do it again in the future. Those pictures being released increase the likelihood that there will be a day of reckoning for the US officials that are directly responsible for the rape of that woman.

If these were American soldiers raping an American woman, would you say, "we can't release the pictures because it would endanger American soldiers," even if by releasing them you knew that it would make it more likely that the rapist would be prosecuted? Because that's exactly the scenario we're talking about here, except that the rape victim is brown and in a country we were legally responsible for as occupying powers. This shit makes me so mad, still... Typical Democratic hand wringing. Do the right thing for christ's sake.

Last edited by shambhala on Wed May 27, 2009 11:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Wed May 27, 2009 11:02 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I say meh when I mean it. Would have said it there if I meant it.

The "Obama isn't all that I wanted him to be in the first few months of office so I'm going to disown him as my best friend" parade gets the meh.
Post Wed May 27, 2009 11:07 pm
shambhala

Quick on the draw, I erased that. No need for it.

I'm not disowning him, but I feel like I don't owe him blind allegiance. Not releasing those photos is a bad omen...in my opinion.
Post Wed May 27, 2009 11:16 pm
Jared Paul

Bandini wrote:
I'm conflicted on this, assuming that it's true. i'm concerned about how these photos would affect troop safety, the perception of US policy, and anyone living in regions of islamic extremism or facing the direct threat of it. not to mention further damage it could do to the victims. I do think that the obama administration should 1: release the details of the extent of the abuse and 2: immediately begin a full investigation into the matter and prosecute those involved to the full extent of the law. that's something i expect to hear in the coming weeks if this story is true.

Yeah, there's not nearly enough people going to jail across the board on this shit. Not for American military rapes and murders, not for the bail out shit, not from the Bush Administration.

The Obama Administration has played things disappointingly safe so far for my liking. Even in the context of him being a centrist Democrat.

Rape and torture- these cases need to be prosecuted. Further, he'd have the backing of nearly everyone. In the long run, not that it should matter, but it'd be politically safe.

If there can be special cases where congressional inquiries lead to investigators digging into whether or not the President of the United States had an affair with a secretary, there can be high profile special task forces assigned to nailing Bail Out criminals, war criminals, and american soliders/officers who conduct/allow/or ignore sexual assault and torture to prisoners (and let's not forget American female soldiers who are getting sexually assaulted by their own fellow mail soldiers left and right out there either.)

My blood is boiling.
Post Wed May 27, 2009 11:16 pm
shambhala

I'm sorry, but saying with a straight face that we're going to prosecute Khalid Sheikh Mohammed for war crimes in a military tribunal, and then saying that we can't release pictures of war crimes by US soldiers because it would endanger US policy in the middle east, is fairly typical American bullshit.
Post Wed May 27, 2009 11:22 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

shambhala wrote:
Quick on the draw, I erased that. No need for it.

I'm not disowning him, but I feel like I don't owe him blind allegiance. Not releasing those photos is a bad omen...in my opinion.

I don't endorse or support blind allegiance.
Post Wed May 27, 2009 11:41 pm
Lants

i am completely unable to understand this behavior.
i just cant understand how anyone could do this ever. in any situation. at all. i absolutely cannot understand it.
Post Thu May 28, 2009 1:40 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Most people can't. Yet, a lot of them support war.

Welp...welcome to war.
Post Thu May 28, 2009 1:50 am
Lants

but is this war? or is this a type of person? or does the situation make them see this as acceptable??

i just can't understand how a person can get to a point that this is what they should do.
Post Thu May 28, 2009 1:53 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Is this war?
Yeah. Unfortunately it is.
Post Thu May 28, 2009 1:59 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next