Search
Register
GM goes under. gonna get bought the govmt
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

mortalthoughts
LAME KID

Perhaps you don't know much about the UAW? Some of the laziest douches in the world, and the most corrupt. I am in no way saying that everyone in the UAW is a piece of trash. But there are a lot of blemishes.

.[/quote]

WOW thanks for offending half of my family bro(not all line workers but thats irleavent)
if i could get an assembly line job with 100% promised benifits after 30 years fuck yea id do it
you wouldnt?
who wouldnt?

like you said it isnt just the unions fault but still it falls on the big 3 also for caving under pressure for the UAW

they serve a great purpose but the car companies should have said enough is enough at some point leading up to this

the unions in this instance got to powerfull and had nobody to put them in check till now imho
Post Wed May 20, 2009 11:33 am
Dr Sagacious

If I offended half of your family, than I offended half of mine as well. I offended half of almost everyone's family. Do I rescend my opinion? No. Do I care that I offended someone? No. Because it's the damn truth.

Most of the UAW's perks and payments are gorgeous, yet there are people who make a douche out of the whole organization by being crooked.
Post Wed May 20, 2009 12:59 pm
Jesse

But you guys they make CARS. CARS. The profits on that are fucking astronomical. The pensions and bennies didn't tank shit without enormous corporate bloat and zillionaire payouts and shit. Like, how do you feel about pro sports salaries? Shouldn't stuff like that be to some extent commensurate to the income generated? The money is ridiculous. It's CARS!!
Post Wed May 20, 2009 5:16 pm
Dr Sagacious

Cars! Caarrrs! Here in my car! Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrr.

Soz.

Yeah, I agree with you though Jesse. There's a lot of shit that went down, that could've been avoidable. The protection of the greedy in Unions is one of them.
Post Wed May 20, 2009 5:42 pm
redball

American auto manufacturers lose money on small cars and make money on SUVs where they can charge more because Americans think bigger=more expensive. The premium brands were so far behind that they had to spend billions catching up and by the time they did they lost all the markup possible because they had to offer incentives to get people to buy them. I won't go into all the reasons why but it wasn't due to quality concerns, at least not for Cadillac.

The profit margin on automobiles has never been high enough to sustain the 30 and out policy. Not when you could potentially live 50 years after.
Post Wed May 20, 2009 8:01 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

And... GM files for chapter 11.
Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:41 am
redball

I think they'll shed the pensions, bust the union a little, sell or kill a couple divisions, and be back by next year at the latest.
Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:43 am
jakethesnake

redball wrote:
I think they'll shed the pensions, bust the union a little, sell or kill a couple divisions, and be back by next year at the latest.

Would it be too much to hope they focus on hybrids/electrics and drop their SUV lines?
Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:44 am
redball

The SUVs that are selling right now are the unibody "crossover" ones anyway. By selling I mean leaving the lot, not production. No one wanted a truck, they wanted a minivan but they didn't want the stigma. Crossover SUVs are essentially a minivan variant in that they are just a tall wagon that is based on a car platform.

The only positive news out of GM in the last year has been the Volt. Look for that to be really blown up. They'll probably come out with another hybrid or two in other lines via a deal with a Japanese manufacturer.
Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:52 am
redball

I also don't foresee the manufacturing or lending parts of GM being "bought" or taken over by the government. They'll restructure under the bankruptcy, but that's not the same at all.

It should be noted that Chrysler is already trying to come out of bankruptcy.
Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:00 am
the mean
Certified O.G.

mortalthoughts wrote:
Perhaps you don't know much about the UAW? Some of the laziest douches in the world, and the most corrupt. I am in no way saying that everyone in the UAW is a piece of trash. But there are a lot of blemishes.

Let's not forget that the UAW is a big umbrella. I'm a member. None of my coworkers are lazy douches.
Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:11 am
Dr Sagacious

I said that, not Mortal Thoughts.

Anyway, I doubt GM will bounce back from this. If they do, HUZZAH! If they don't, sucks.

They need to shrink their product line, and work with some of the Japanese who originally offered to work with them only to have GM laugh in their face.
Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:39 pm
The Count

Quote:

like you said it isnt just the unions fault but still it falls on the big 3 also for caving under pressure for the UAW

they serve a great purpose but the car companies should have said enough is enough at some point leading up to this

the unions in this instance got to powerfull and had nobody to put them in check till now imho

Wait, I'm not following you. So it's the companies' fault that the union wages and benefits were absurd?
Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:53 pm
jakethesnake

The Count wrote:

Quote:

Wait, I'm not following you. So it's the companies' fault that the union wages and benefits were absurd?

Especially because they don't throw hissy fits and rage strike every time they don't get what they want. Not a factor at all, right?
Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:56 pm
Dr Sagacious

My buddy's dad went into one of the assembly plants, and the workers were bitching about walking to hit a button on a wall. Then they complained that they didn't want to fit the styrofoam or whatever onto the car.

It's like, "WTF are you complaining about!? It's your job! Quit it, or just fake an injury and get full benefits and 90% of your wage."

No one gets 90% of their pay from workmen's comp. No one but UAW. Fuck. I'd love to sit on an assembly line. I'd love to get their benefits.

I will say this one more time, and then I'm done with it. The UAW helped kill the American car company. The UAW helped convince American car company to build abroad. The UAW isn't all to blame, but that doesn't mean they aren't exempt at all.

Buy American? No thanks. Keep forcing that shit down people's throats, and everyone will drive a Toyota.
Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:53 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next