Search
Register
911 is a joke
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

redball

Yes. I think we need zero tolerance of abuse of power or gross neglect of duties among officers. People's lives are at stake. We should treat misconduct like this the same as drunk driving. Maybe he didn't take a life this time, but he could next time.
Post Fri May 08, 2009 7:39 am
cakes

i can't watch the video, but i'm with redball.

this is emergency medicine. it's not always about being polite. however, a dispatcher's job is to get the information, and as captiv8 says, calm those involved if they can. further aggravating the caller does nothing and obviously shows poor judgement. the ones i know are used to getting yelled at, just like er nurses who get shit all the time, and whose job is basically to be nice and take the brunt force. there is some relief when emergency personnel arrive, but waiting is hell.

i just read more and realized an officer was answering the call. i have to watch it before i really comment on that specific situation.
Post Fri May 08, 2009 7:58 am
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

cakes wrote:
i can't watch the video, but i'm with redball.
Post Sun May 10, 2009 7:44 pm
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

I'm under the assumption that people calling into 911 are going to be stressed the fuck out, flipping out, highly irratic and in a frenzied state. I wouldn't want to do that job. In alot of cases people are going to be going thru things that are new to them and there is no telling how they will react to the situation there in. So, hearing this cops behavior is indefensible and he should be reprimanded without pay for a few weeks. His actions are totally unacceptable. Yes I know I made several spelling errors..tough shit.
Post Tue May 12, 2009 1:14 am
Captiv8

PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG wrote:
I'm under the assumption that people calling into 911 are going to be stressed the fuck out, flipping out, highly irratic and in a frenzied state. I wouldn't want to do that job. In alot of cases people are going to be going thru things that are new to them and there is no telling how they will react to the situation there in. So, hearing this cops behavior is indefensible and he should be reprimanded without pay for a few weeks. His actions are totally unacceptable. Yes I know I made several spelling errors..tough shit.

Phil, he was put of two weeks suspension without pay. There's no telling where exactly it will go from there (though I'm guessing nothing will happen). Imagine the officer will be forced into a desk job until he says fuck it and retires.
Post Tue May 12, 2009 6:54 am
cakes

i'm such a slug and never remember to watch videos once i'm home, but did his actions clearly compromise the emergency or patient care? simply curious because i can see how this would affect the reprocussion.
Post Tue May 12, 2009 7:09 am
Captiv8

cakes wrote:
i'm such a slug and never remember to watch videos once i'm home, but did his actions clearly compromise the emergency or patient care? simply curious because i can see how this would affect the reprocussion.

Yes, they did. The officer first told the girl to stop swearing, which she was only doing because she finally made it through on her third attempt. I can imagine how, if my father was on the ground in a seizure, this would frustrate and scare me too. Then he hung up on her. Three times. Not once did he actually take the time to find out what her problem was. So then she goes down to the police station personally only to be arrested and detained for erroneous charges. The whole thing was garbage, and the her father's life was in jeopardy at every point.
Post Tue May 12, 2009 7:32 am
cakes

Captiv8 wrote:
Then he hung up on her. Three times. Not once did he actually take the time to find out what her problem was. So then she goes down to the police station personally only to be arrested and detained for erroneous charges. The whole thing was garbage, and the her father's life was in jeopardy at every point.
that is beyond fucked up. i'll have to ask my fire/emt family members what they think would happen in their dept if someone did that. i know my step-brother would be ripshit and require serious restraint not to beat him up. i'd be talking to lawyers that day. because no matter how the woman acted, the patient is the one who received the lack of care.
Post Tue May 12, 2009 8:09 am
Captiv8

What is ripshit?
Post Tue May 12, 2009 8:22 am
redball

If we're describing it to someone who hasn't watched/listened I think it's important to note that the person on the other end of the call handled it about as poorly as possible. There was a disturbing lack of attempts by either party to actually convey information. It's just that the dispatcher's actions and attitude can affect an entire town whereas the caller's actions and attitude will only ever affect her and those immediately around her.
Post Tue May 12, 2009 8:23 am
Captiv8

redball wrote:
If we're describing it to someone who hasn't watched/listened I think it's important to note that the person on the other end of the call handled it about as poorly as possible. There was a disturbing lack of attempts by either party to actually convey information. It's just that the dispatcher's actions and attitude can affect an entire town whereas the caller's actions and attitude will only ever affect her and those immediately around her.

True, but ultimately irrelevant given the nature of the dispatcher's job. It's their role to be calm and collected, not the caller's.
Post Tue May 12, 2009 8:29 am
cakes

Captiv8 wrote:
What is ripshit?
really? it means thrilled, and by that i mean very very angry. he has no patience for anything that gets in the way of an emergency, or anything that could potentially cause one. and it's not that his priority is your feelings and he thinks everyone needs to be nice all the time, it's that his priority is your life and there is no room for trivial, bullshit conversation.

edit: and now that i think about it, i bet he'd be less pissed at the dude for being a dick, and more pissed at him for getting in the way of the emergency personnel's job, making it that much harder for them to handle the situation.
Post Tue May 12, 2009 8:50 am
cakes

redball wrote:

now that i've watched it, i don't agree. the first minute was the most important. if my dad is unconscious and i'm 17 and i don't know what to do, i'm going to swear, yes. save for a swear (not at him), the first thing she said was her address relatively calmly and that she needed an ambulance. sounded way more calm than it could have been. she was not inaudible at all. i've delt with hysterical people on the phone. that was not all hysterical, and i was expecting hysterical from the start. she could have been a lot worse.

he didn't dispatch people till almost 10 minutes later, and apparently she just called a relative and had them call. i couldn't watch all of it because i honestly feel ill.
10 minutes is a big deal.

i'll leave this be now. i need to study. fuck that guy.
Post Tue May 12, 2009 6:16 pm
redball

Well, you've read my other posts, so you know that I don't think the caller is to blame or anything. I think that she let herself get sucked into his petty bullshit and during her repeat calls she was combative. At that point she was seeking his submission on the matter more than she was seeking help. It's understandable how that would happen because his behavior would upset me too.

I don't think she acted appropriately. She could have done better. Does she have a responsibility to do so? No. That doesn't mean we can't acknowledge that she was pretty snotty and confrontational during the calls.

Maybe if she'd been less confrontational he would have been more responsive. Sure, it's his job to be responsive regardless of her attitude. There's no harm in trying to help others help you, though.
Post Tue May 12, 2009 7:00 pm
cakes

redball wrote:
Maybe if she'd been less confrontational he would have been more responsive. Sure, it's his job to be responsive regardless of her attitude. There's no harm in trying to help others help you, though.
i do hear ya, and it's tough to access that customer services repression of negative emotion sometimes. it is always in your best interest to be polite and help others help you. not to let them get you going because it will only get worse. i do think that his first sentence more likely than not solidified how she'd respond, and her first full sentence wasn't hysterical yet, but did have a smart ass response, true. i know that you don't blame her, i'm just angry at that man for existing. i would want to slash off his hand holding the badge with a machete.
Post Wed May 13, 2009 8:53 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next