Register
911 is a joke
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Jascha

TurnpikeGates wrote:
icarus502 wrote:
crash wrote:
that cop should be fired, but that girls a idiot too. she's taking the time to threaten to sue with her dad collapsed on the floor? that's just sad.

Seriously!

Yeah. It takes a real doozy to get past my "don't blame the victim" sensors, but this girl did not prioritize her dad's life. In that situation, you don't get all indignant, you just say "I'm sorry, my dad is unconscious, please send help." Fire him, but don't lionize her.

Or, maybe, she just tried to scare the cop into sending an ambulance?
When you're emotionally distressed, it's pretty easy to go into agro mode like that.

Not the smartest thing to do, no. But definitely understandable and pretty shitty to call her out on that, since she then ran to the police station, which means she clearly had her dads wellbeing in mind all the time.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 4:41 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Frankly, after 20 years at 14,000 calls a year, most of them people calling about a lost dog, or loud neighbors, or a broken toenail... someone calling and swearing over the phone probably wouldn't provoke any kind of sympathetic response from anyone. Both parties are at fault for being douches, and at the dad's expense, nonetheless. Here they are having a cussing match while the guy is seizing up on the ground!

After doing phone customer service for a few years I can't even imagine the kind of shit 911 operators have to deal with. It would take some infinite patience that I sure as fuck do not have to be able to do that day in, day out, then after like 300,000 calls, still have the reserves to deal with assholes on the phone. Especially ones demanding ambulances for a case of the hiccups or whatever else people call in for. It's no excuse, I know, and they should be treating every call like it's a real emergency, but seriously people when you call someone for serious help, don't start off by swearing at them.

Ok, I got off track there. The dude sounds like he needs to retire. He seems a bit burnt out.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 5:04 pm
firefly

jakethesnake wrote:
someone calling and swearing over the phone probably wouldn't provoke any kind of sympathetic response from anyone. Both parties are at fault for being douches, and at the dad's expense, nonetheless.

Woah ... first of all 911 agents have no right to play moral police about the type of language people use (it wasn't even as if she was swearing at him or even that much) so regardless is someone swears or is rude or what not, it's their job (and a very important one) to find out the situation first and then deal with it appropriate (putting personal bias aside). The fact that he gave her shit about her language before even asking what the situation was and then hung up on her before asking what was up is all anyone needs to put the blame solely on the doughnut eater.

Secondly I wasn't (and I don't think anyone else here was either) saying that it was her fault or that they both share the blame. I was just saying that it wasn't the most mature/effective way to get they help she needed.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 5:28 pm
xxdr. mad69xx

I hate pigs. This shit doesn't surprise me at all.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 5:31 pm
Plum Puddin'

Post Thu May 07, 2009 9:38 pm
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

jakethesnake wrote:
Frankly, after 20 years at 14,000 calls a year, most of them people calling about a lost dog, or loud neighbors, or a broken toenail... someone calling and swearing over the phone probably wouldn't provoke any kind of sympathetic response from anyone. Both parties are at fault for being douches, and at the dad's expense, nonetheless. Here they are having a cussing match while the guy is seizing up on the ground!

After doing phone customer service for a few years I can't even imagine the kind of shit 911 operators have to deal with. It would take some infinite patience that I sure as fuck do not have to be able to do that day in, day out, then after like 300,000 calls, still have the reserves to deal with assholes on the phone. Especially ones demanding ambulances for a case of the hiccups or whatever else people call in for. It's no excuse, I know, and they should be treating every call like it's a real emergency, but seriously people when you call someone for serious help, don't start off by swearing at them.

Ok, I got off track there. The dude sounds like he needs to retire. He seems a bit burnt out.

haha, despite myself I find I agree with you
Post Thu May 07, 2009 9:56 pm
Casey Carver

jakethesnake wrote:
someone calling and swearing over the phone probably wouldn't provoke any kind of sympathetic response from anyone.

its 2009, someone in distress dropping the f-bomb shouldn't phase a cop.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 10:15 pm
TurnpikeGates

Jascha: You're right, I didn't really take into account the state of mind that panic might have put her in. I put all the fault on the dispatcher, because honestly, the swearing is completely fucking irrelevant. I sympathize with the difficulty of being a dispatcher, but it goes with the territory that you have to deal with all kind of shit, and keep service and safety prioritized always. People with that job should be held to a higher standard than average joes, re: tolerance for swearing or whatever else.

I will say, though, that the lawsuit talk seemed like anger at the dispatcher eclipsing concern over her father. That part of the call seemed too controlled and vindictive to be pure panic. But point is, dude should have let her talk, and sent the ambulance. If it's a bogus call, that can be sorted out later.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 10:40 pm
jakethesnake

firefly wrote:
jakethesnake wrote:
someone calling and swearing over the phone probably wouldn't provoke any kind of sympathetic response from anyone. Both parties are at fault for being douches, and at the dad's expense, nonetheless.

Woah ... first of all 911 agents have no right to play moral police about the type of language people use (it wasn't even as if she was swearing at him or even that much) so regardless is someone swears or is rude or what not, it's their job (and a very important one) to find out the situation first and then deal with it appropriate (putting personal bias aside). The fact that he gave her shit about her language before even asking what the situation was and then hung up on her before asking what was up is all anyone needs to put the blame solely on the doughnut eater.

Secondly I wasn't (and I don't think anyone else here was either) saying that it was her fault or that they both share the blame. I was just saying that it wasn't the most mature/effective way to get they help she needed.

So did you just ignore the rest of my post where I said that or you wanted to reiterate it?

I am in NO WAY saying it's justified. I agree with you 100%. I'm saying he's probably past the point where he can deal with it anymore. I would be too. Would anyone here have the patience to take tens of thousands of 911 calls and still treat every single one as an emergency situation after thousands upon thousands are NOT emergencies? If so, I applaud you.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 10:46 pm
redball

The dispatcher is supposed to be trained to deal with those situations. That didn't happen.

The person on the other end of a 911 call does not get training on how to handle an emergency. If they did then they'd call and say, "send an ambulance to 16 spooner street, I've already done x, y, and z." They don't do that. They call in a panic and say stupid shit.

It's the dispatcher's job to talk them through the emergency. That includes calming them down, but not lecturing them on their manners.

That's the problem here. This guy lectured her on her manners, was combative, and never once tried to talk her through the emergency. That is gross and dangerous neglect of his duties.

Yes. The woman was a rude moron. Yes, she became combative back at him (from the tapes I believe that she started out frantic and he combative, leading to her responding in kind). And, yes, calling specifically to threaten a lawsuit was ridiculous.

She's not trained, though. She isn't the one who is supposed to be rational or respond correctly. No matter how much she does wrong on the call, if he's not doing what he should be doing [trying to collect information, calm the caller down, dispatch the proper response team] then he is at fault.

There is also a difference between working a call center and working as a dispatcher. If someone calls you because they can't figure out their capslock key then their life isn't on the line, and chances are the next caller's life won't be either. If you are a 911 dispatcher and you get burnt out so that you can't complete your duties then you quit, take a vacation, or something else. You don't continue to work. Someone could die from this sort of behavior. You may understand how he got to that point but once he's there he has no excuse to stay.

If these people don't respond to emergencies then they are worthless to us. If they're worthless then they should be fired.

I hope the settlement from that woman's lawsuit is enough for her to move to a different city. Maybe the city won't be able to afford that jackasses salary anymore.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 11:01 pm
jakethesnake

Sounds to me like if they are having officers answer the phones they already can't afford dispatchers.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 11:16 pm
Psycho-78

Guerilla S.Thompson wrote:

holy fuckin shit... is that sam jackson playing the "husband" in the first example?
Post Fri May 08, 2009 1:15 am
Captiv8

jakethesnake wrote:
Sounds to me like if they are having officers answer the phones they already can't afford dispatchers.

I was thinking this too. Why is a 20 year veteran sergeant answering the phones in the first place? I wonder if someone called in sick that day. I guess it doesn't really matter though. He was out of line, no question. Redball nailed it by saying the dispatcher's job is to calm down the caller and sort things out to a point that some kind of action can be made. The caller is obviously going to be in an altered frame of mind if there situation is seriously distressing. I wouldn't say the firing of this guy is necessary though. Give him a tidy desk job and force him to retire.
Post Fri May 08, 2009 7:08 am
redball

Well, a dispatcher's job isn't too far off from how an officer should respond on the scene. So with a tiny bit of training he should have been able to handle that. Instant dismissal.

If they are hurting for money that badly then they should look into setting up a county-wide dispatch center, or at least pool resources with other townships. Or they should still hold their officers to the same standards they should hold any 911 operator to.
Post Fri May 08, 2009 7:30 am
Captiv8

redball wrote:
Well, a dispatcher's job isn't too far off from how an officer should respond on the scene. So with a tiny bit of training he should have been able to handle that. Instant dismissal.

If they are hurting for money that badly then they should look into setting up a county-wide dispatch center, or at least pool resources with other townships. Or they should still hold their officers to the same standards they should hold any 911 operator to.

You really think dismissal is warranted for an officer who, by all accounts, never had so much as a small smudge on his record after 20 years? The guy was in the wrong, no doubt, but I don't think he should lose his job for one mistake after a long period of service. He's already been embarrassed and publicly chastised for his behavior.

As for the resources, the Detroit area police network is still reeling from the resources Kwame Kilpatrick squandered, stole, or otherwise misused. But you're right, the townships should take it upon themselves to set something up. Lord knows people in Michigan could use the jobs.
Post Fri May 08, 2009 7:35 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next