Search
Register
Michael A. Weiner aka Michael Savage banned from UK!!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Jascha

A right wing politician from the netherlands got expelled from the UK as well.

Kinda interestng. Also a gross violation of diplomatic form, but the guy's a twat. ALso, has a shitty haircut. So whatevswhatevs.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 4:30 pm
TurnpikeGates

I heard this guy on the radio literally say "there are millions of muslims in the United States waiting to slit our throats." That quote might be possible to find on the internet, and if it's not stirring up hate, I don't know what is.

This article is kind of mind-blowing-- you won't believe his background:
http://www.eastbayexpress.com/news/savage_hate/Content?oid=291215

These people who came out of the New Left and are now on the totally insane fringe (mainstream?) of the right are fascinating to me in a weird way. For Savage, the psychology behind it seems almost textbook, but the David Horowitzes-- the people who seem to possess some amount of intelligence along with their insanity-- I don't know what to make of them.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 10:47 pm
shambhala

I've listened to this guy's show. If push came to shove and the political climate was right, he absolutely would be calling for public lynchings of certain groups. Free speech is free speech, but Rwanda showed pretty clearly that the media can be very powerful in inciting hatred and violence.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 10:53 pm
TurnpikeGates

shambhala wrote:
I've listened to this guy's show. If push came to shove and the political climate was right, he absolutely would be calling for public lynchings of certain groups. Free speech is free speech, but Rwanda showed pretty clearly that the media can be very powerful in inciting hatred and violence.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying-- Savage is sort of on another level. Even total jackasses like Rush Limbaugh don't seem to be seething, like polishing their pitchforks, the way Savage does. As John Lennon said: "One thing you can't hide, is when you're crippled inside."
Post Thu May 07, 2009 10:55 pm
poisonfree

crash wrote:
seems like everyone on the list in that article is explicitly calling for violence against particular ethnic groups. to my knowledge that's not what savage does.

I heard him once say on the radio "The cure for homosexuality is a bullet in the head" (or something similar) in regards to some talk show host whom he wasn't happy with. (either ellen or rosie can't remember)
Post Fri May 08, 2009 1:02 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jesse

TurnpikeGates wrote:
These people who came out of the New Left and are now on the totally insane fringe (mainstream?) of the right are fascinating to me in a weird way. For Savage, the psychology behind it seems almost textbook, but the David Horowitzes-- the people who seem to possess some amount of intelligence along with their insanity-- I don't know what to make of them.
Christopher Hitchens being another example?
Post Fri May 08, 2009 8:07 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Jesse wrote:
TurnpikeGates wrote:

Hitchens is not "on the right," let alone on the Michael Savage wing of it.
Post Fri May 08, 2009 8:08 am
Jesse

icarus502 wrote:
Hitchens is not "on the right," let alone on the Michael Savage wing of it.[/quote]He's certainly not on the Savage tip, but he certainly is on the right. He just isn't part of the religious right - he's a neocon.

Last edited by Jesse on Fri May 08, 2009 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri May 08, 2009 9:05 am
Embryo

yeah. my girlfriend pointed out to me yesterday that Ginsburg too was really boisterous and in-your-face and angry -- just had a different angle. Same techniques. Interesting to think about.
Post Fri May 08, 2009 9:25 am
Smurf Stomper

ha, oh shit I was so confused for a minute. I thought this was about Dan Savage, the guy who has that sex advice show.
Post Fri May 08, 2009 9:30 am
TurnpikeGates

Hitchens is an interesting case... I don't really know what to make of him. The explanation of his ideological shift that's on his Wikipedia entry is kind of interesting. It's kind of unhelpful to figure out if he's "on the right" or not-- he's obviously for pre-emptive war, and that's good enough for me to know he's not on my side, right or left.
Post Fri May 08, 2009 12:33 pm
outpatient

hitchens is pretty hawkish when it comes to terrorism. I think that's just about all he shares with the right wing.
Post Fri May 08, 2009 12:57 pm
Jesse

He describes himself as libertarian, which is the liberal right wing.

I know I called him a neocon, and he is one, but basically the hallmark of neoconservatism is being totally liberal and not conservative at all. Weird PR decision.
Post Fri May 08, 2009 1:26 pm
phataccino

I'm not entirely convinced that the whole Michael Savage character isn't just an act. You'd have to have a pretty radical transformation to go from the North Beach crowd he used to run with to the shit he says on his radio show now.
Post Fri May 08, 2009 2:25 pm
Jesse

phataccino wrote:
I'm not entirely convinced that the whole Michael Savage character isn't just an act. You'd have to have a pretty radical transformation to go from the North Beach crowd he used to run with to the shit he says on his radio show now.
It has the smack of opportunism to it, but I don't know how that matters. As far as the world is concerned, you pretty much are what you do.
Post Fri May 08, 2009 2:32 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next