Search
Register
Michael A. Weiner aka Michael Savage banned from UK!!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

mzehe916

Michael A. Weiner aka Michael Savage banned from UK!!  Reply with quote  

Quote:

Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

NEW YORK (CNN) -- American radio talk-show host Michael Savage said he wants an apology from Britain's home secretary and his name removed from a list of people banned from entering the United Kingdom.
American radio talk-show host Michael Savage calls the British government's description of him "demented."

American radio talk-show host Michael Savage calls the British government's description of him "demented."

"I've heard from British attorneys who are salivating to set the record straight and win quite a large settlement should she not remove my name from the list," Savage said in an interview broadcast Thursday on CNN's "American Morning."

Savage was referring to Home Secretary Jacqui Smith, whose office recently excluded 22 people from entering the country because the government feels they have been "stirring up hatred."

The British government has cited Savage -- who is on the list under his real name, Michael Alan Weiner -- for "seeking to provoke others to serious criminal acts and fostering hatred which might lead to inter-community violence."

Savage has made controversial statements against homosexuality, illegal immigrants from Mexico and Islam. He said that "borders, language and culture is the real message of 'The Savage Nation,' " his radio talk show.

"I'm a patriotic American, and if that's a crime in England, God help us all," he said. Video Watch as Savage says he wants to clear his name

Savage's daily radio show does not air in Britain but is broadcast nationwide in the United States.
Don't Miss

* Americans on UK ban list lash out at British official
* UK publishes list of 'least wanted' people

Savage rejected the British government's description of him, calling it "a demented attitude."

"She lumped me in with known murderers and terrorists, people who have been in prison for killing people," Savage said of Smith. "I've been on the air for 15 years, three hours a day, five days a week. I have never, ever promoted violence. There has never been one violent incident attached to my show."

Smith has said she is determined to keep those who "spread extremism, hatred and violent messages" out of the country.

"Coming to the UK is a privilege, and I refuse to extend that privilege to individuals who abuse our standards and values to undermine our way of life," Smith said. "Therefore, I do not hesitate to name and shame those who foster extremist views, as I want them to know that they are not welcome here."

The Home Office has named 16 people on the list, saying it was not in the public interest to disclose the names of the other six.

Included on the list are:

# The Rev. Fred Phelps and his daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, for "engaging in unacceptable behavior and fostering hatred." Phelps and his followers at Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas, oppose homosexuality. They picket the funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq, saying their deaths are God's way of punishing the United States for supporting homosexuals. They have expressed similar views about the victims of the September 11, 2001, attacks and Hurricane Katrina.

# Former Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard Don Black, who established the white supremacist Web site Stormfront. The Home Office called it one of the oldest and largest hate group sites.

# Erich Gliebe, chairman of the National Alliance, one of the largest neo-Nazi groups in the U.S. The Home Office accused Gliebe of "justifying terrorist violence, provoking others to commit serious crime and fostering racial hatred."

# Samir al Quntar, a Lebanese man who spent three decades in prison for killing four Israeli soldiers and a 4-year-old girl in 1979. The Home Office lists al Quntar for "engaging in unacceptable behavior by seeking to foment, justify or glorify terrorist violence" to provoke terrorist acts.

# Nasr Javed, a leader of the Kashmiri militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba.

# Islamic clerics Abdul Ali Musa, Abdullah Qadri Al Ahdal, Amir Siddique, Yunis Al Astal and Safwat Hijazi.

# Wadgy Abd El Hamied Mohamed Ghoneim, whom the Home Office describes as a prolific writer and speaker. The Home Office said he has sought "to foment, justify or glory terrorist violence in furtherance of particular beliefs and to provoke others to commit terrorist acts."
advertisement

# Mike Guzofsky, the leader of a militant Jewish group with ties to Kahane Chai, a group that the U.S. State Department lists as a foreign terrorist organization.

# Russian skinheads Artur Ryno and Pavel Skachevsky, whom the Home Office said are "leaders of a violent gang that beat migrants and posted films of their attacks on the Internet."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/05/07/us.savage.banned/index.html

I hate paying 5 pounds for a beer, but I like this!
Post Thu May 07, 2009 10:26 am
zeem

5 pounds? Should have gone for the grolsch.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 10:30 am
mzehe916

haha I should have stayed out of Piccadilly Circus. And I was coming from the Irish countryside with an even dollar-euro exchange paying 2EUR for a pint of Murphy's. You live, you learn.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 10:35 am
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

too bad they didn't give examples of what he said. i hate that guy this doesn't seem fair.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 10:38 am
mindtoast

ahahahah he said this violates his "constitutional rights" bwahahahah as if american law applies in other nations ya fuckstick ahahahahaha
Post Thu May 07, 2009 10:53 am
Embryo

crash wrote:
too bad they didn't give examples of what he said. i hate that guy this doesn't seem fair.

If I had a country I wouldn't let him in it either.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 10:57 am
redball

At first I was against this because it seemed a little censoring. Then I thought about it a bit and realized that it's not like he's being thrown out of the country, he simply can't go there. Look at the rest of that list and you'll see a wide variety of extremists on all sides. Seems pretty fair to me.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 11:01 am
jstile

he wants to sue the government for this? haha good fucking luck pal, we barely have a bill of rights to call our own so i'd like to see how that turns out.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 11:03 am
Captiv8

How can you sue a foreign government anyway? And am I the only one that chuckled a bit when they found out his real last name? I'd like to see it hyphenated. The press should do that just to fuck with him.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 11:12 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Savage-Weiner.

Man, I remember a story he told...where he was going off about massages. Like...really pissed about massages. Told a story about him and his boys in a cabin somewhere getting a massage. And how it hurt and why would anyone want to do that to their body? And then someone inquires as to why it hurt and what the details were. Turns out him and his boys hired a male masseuse. Not that that is bad, but it's really funny to think about this guy and his friends getting a male masseuse to relax and see what this massage stuff is all about. "Why would I have a girl give me a massage? I'm MARRIED!"

right right right.

Well, good luck getting into the UK, Mr. Weiner.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 11:16 am
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

seems like everyone on the list in that article is explicitly calling for violence against particular ethnic groups. to my knowledge that's not what savage does.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 11:27 am
Captiv8

Would Savage even want to go to the UK in the first place? Seems to me he's arguing stupidly based on principle. And it occurs to me now that, even if he could somehow sue the UK, he wouldn't be able to demonstrate any harm done to him as a result of their decision. What a smug little man.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 11:38 am
mzehe916

The stories about him running around North Beach with Ginsberg are pretty funny. He seems to have been an alright guy, turned "opportunist." Or so his old friends say. I'm curious about the Ginsberg-Wiener correspondence. Was there an underlying "thing"?
Post Thu May 07, 2009 11:39 am
Captiv8

mzehe916 wrote:
The stories about him running around North Beach with Ginsberg are pretty funny. He seems to have been an alright guy, turned "opportunist." Or so his old friends say. I'm curious about the Ginsberg-Wiener correspondence. Was there an underlying "thing"?

Given the massage story, the possibility exists.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 11:40 am
mancabbage

jacqui smith the woman whos incharge of all this is a spanner. i want her gone, but fuck it seems this guys a prat too, whats lost. meh.

i dont think i've ever drunk in picadilly circus in my life. 5 quid a beer, the fuck. Dont think i ever will
Post Thu May 07, 2009 1:24 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next