Search
Register
Company Flow, Special Ed, Love Potion 5, & more updates
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

Jesse

Dan Shay wrote:
Def Jux didn't change shit around that time except the availability of baby tees, trucker caps and wife beaters with their logo on it.

Cold Vein and Labor days withstanding.
Who said Def Jux? Leaving aside that Labor Days is Aesop's worst album... I'm talking about before Def Jux existed. I fucking watched underground rap change from the mid to late 90s because of this shit. By the time Def Jux even existed the dust was settled. Cold Vein's an amazing record but it existed in a post-Rawkus, post-fondle 'em, post-solesides galaxy and it never could have been made before that (leaving aside El-P's involvement). Nobody would have put in the time to wrap their heads around the weird styles of two dudes from Atoms Fam - severely breaking their weird styles down to simple elements - if not for End To End Burners.

While the mainstream was shitting on DJs, innovative lyricists and crate diggers, the collectives I'm mentioning declared war on them using those things as a battlefield and fucking DID change underground rap.

Don't swallow this revisionist version of indie rap history. You either watched while rap changed or you weren't paying attention.
Post Mon May 04, 2009 3:50 pm
Dan Shay

I can't have a logical discussion with someobody who thinks labor days is worse than than a mumblefuck like bazooka tooth and is talking about the 'underground' like he's bootie brown in a verse from drop.
Post Mon May 04, 2009 4:25 pm
mancabbage

I admit i wasn't listening when co flow came out, i also would like to let it be known that i dont give a fuck. Ive been listening to it for years and I like it. fin.

but jesse. man, bazooka tooth better than labor days. you gotta be taking the piss?

trav iphantom or the first rjd2 record dont make your list? good shit

lookin fwd to when they release this guys new record

</object>
Post Mon May 04, 2009 7:28 pm
Jesse

Dan Shay wrote:
I can't have a logical discussion with someobody who thinks labor days is worse than than a mumblefuck like bazooka tooth and is talking about the 'underground' like he's bootie brown in a verse from drop.
Dude you just can't have a logical discussion, period. I have never seen it happen.

And this is a once-and-for-all statement: Bazooka Tooth is, by far and without a doubt, Aesop Rock's best album, as well as a strong contender for best rap album of 2003 - possibly the best year for rap in the oughts. It makes all of his previous records look like practise.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 10:14 am
sequence

Jesse wrote:

And this is a once-and-for-all statement: Bazooka Tooth is, by far and without a doubt, Aesop Rock's best album, as well as a strong contender for best rap album of 2003 - possibly the best year for rap in the oughts. It makes all of his previous records look like practise.

That's one of the craziest things I've heard in weeks. Really? That record is straight dookie.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 10:29 am
Jesse

sequence wrote:
That's one of the craziest things I've heard in weeks. Really? That record is straight dookie.
Everyone's entitled to their own critical estimation, of course. I just have zero comprehension or appreciation for that one in this case. It's the record on which he started making sense full time, and flexed styles practically no-one else can touch. The rhyme schemes get so fancy in some places that they make me want to blow my head off. The sentiments are genuine, the content personal, the swagger ungodly, the beats are a fresh time traveling accident.

The record gives me chills, even still.

Labor Days is sterile and mundane by comparison... and also kind of in general. Nah that's not fair, it's pretty good. But like, it's no Bazooka Tooth.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 10:59 am
sequence

Jesse wrote:
sequence wrote:
Everyone's entitled to their own critical estimation, of course. I just have zero comprehension or appreciation for that one in this case. It's the record on which he started making sense full time, and flexed styles practically no-one else can touch. The rhyme schemes get so fancy in some places that they make me want to blow my head off. The sentiments are genuine, the content personal, the swagger ungodly, the beats are a fresh time traveling accident.

The record gives me chills, even still.

Labor Days is sterile and mundane by comparison... and also kind of in general. Nah that's not fair, it's pretty good. But like, it's no Bazooka Tooth.

Bazooka Tooth SOUNDS like a record where baby got his hands on his first effects processor. I've never been able to get past that to listen to the album in earnest.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 11:12 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

you cant even compare bazooka tooth and labor days they are both entirely different albums different sound and all

with that said both are great albums

bazooka tooth is raw

i do enjoy labor days more awesome storytelling

the daylight ep is classic

none shall pass is very much slept on

float even though not on jux ,doesnt matter , is some of his best as well

fast cars fire danger and knives is a great piece too

its all great ok

all of it

argue all you want

its all great

Last edited by Neuro on Tue May 05, 2009 11:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Tue May 05, 2009 11:12 am
Jesse

sequence wrote:
Bazooka Tooth SOUNDS like a record where baby got his hands on his first effects processor. I've never been able to get past that to listen to the album in earnest.
I know what you mean, but I see that as a throwback to early new school records like MC EZ & Troup's "Get Retarded" or EPMD's first album or anything Marley produced that had big, overwhelming delays thrown on every punchline that just echoed behind the next two bars.

I think the sound that was achieved on that record was if the early 1980s actually was in the future instead of the past. It really bangs out on those terms, like a lot of El-P productions. I mean it's very derivative of El-P's production, and not as good (including the track El-P DID produce)... but taken as a whole, I think it's perfect.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 11:16 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

back on the SUBJECT of el-p and co-flow

ILL SLEEP WHEN YOU'RE DEAD is the BEST
Post Tue May 05, 2009 11:22 am
Brynjar

Neuro wrote:
back on the SUBJECT of el-p and co-flow

ILL SLEEP WHEN YOU'RE DEAD is the BEST

Best stuff El-P has done, yeah I can agree with that.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 11:25 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

and FANTASTIC DAMAGE will chop your head off and then let it grow back only for another chop, to the domepiece, and that process continues forever, and forever
Post Tue May 05, 2009 11:26 am
sequence

Jesse wrote:
sequence wrote:
I know what you mean, but I see that as a throwback to early new school records like MC EZ & Troup's "Get Retarded" or EPMD's first album or anything Marley produced that had big, overwhelming delays thrown on every punchline that just echoed behind the next two bars.

I think the sound that was achieved on that record was if the early 1980s actually was in the future instead of the past. It really bangs out on those terms, like a lot of El-P productions. I mean it's very derivative of El-P's production, and not as good (including the track El-P DID produce)... but taken as a whole, I think it's perfect.

I can see what you're saying--and I've certainly had those thoughts regarding the record--but my realization of the conceptual labors of the record has, as is often the case, in no way increased my desire to listen to it. And to be fair, when El's shit slides to far in the direction described here, I lose patience--so it isn't just this record.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 11:34 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

SFR Announcement: on the co-flow reissue is there the 6 bonus songs at the end of the cd or is that just the digital release from jux

also is there a dvd too?
Post Tue May 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

That is just for digital. Which I find to be very wack.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 12:29 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next