Search
Register
What is your experience buying a used car from a dealership?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

futuristxen

Why does that happen? Is there some context in which the dollar sign goes after the number that confuses people? I've heard you complain about that before, but I think that's the first I've actually seen it.
Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:04 am
redball

The dollar sign mistake happens when people
a) write as they would speak, instead of how they should write
b) are from different cultures where the sign comes after the amount
c) have incredibly poor training in written English

I hate transmission snobs. Fine, you like shifting your own gears, we get it. There is little advantage to the rest of us. Even the gas mileage advantage has disappeared in many new cars, flipping to give auto the edge. I have no issue with manual transmissions, just the people who think they're superior for their preference or insist on scolding everyone else to use them.
Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:50 am
AP1732

redball wrote:

I hate transmission snobs. Fine, you like shifting your own gears, we get it. There is little advantage to the rest of us. Even the gas mileage advantage has disappeared in many new cars, flipping to give auto the edge. I have no issue with manual transmissions, just the people who think they're superior for their preference or insist on scolding everyone else to use them.

Well, in this case there is an advantage. The poster isn't going to be getting a newer car with equal gas milage. Also, they are cheaper, too.

And they are more fun once you learn how to do it.
Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:24 am
futuristxen

AP1732 wrote:
redball wrote:

Well, in this case there is an advantage. The poster isn't going to be getting a newer car with equal gas milage. Also, they are cheaper, too.

My cars shift themselves.
Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:35 am
redball

AP1732 wrote:

The advantage only works if you really know what you're doing.

I would say on an old car you're likely to break even with your advantages vs. disadvantages. Automatics are a tad more complex, so they are more likely to break down given equal usage. The problem is that you can't guarantee equal usage, so you don't know if the person before you was flogging the thing in every gear or what. Sure, you can do some stupid stuff with an auto, but you're that much more inclined to do it with a stick.

Before someone says, "you'll feel it when you test drive the car." That's not true if someone is just learning to drive stick. Without experience and expectations they're not as likely to know what to look for. Any salesman with a lick of experience could convince them that it's their own fumbling, not the car.

Then, if you're adjusting to driving stick, you're now doing it driving an old vehicle with who-knows-how-old of a transmission and clutch. So your fumbling is that much more likely to break something. Of course, it's better to break something on an old cheaper car than a new expensive one, but it's also better not to break anything at all.

All of this assumes that the person is not acquainted with a manual transmission. We can make this assumption because it's the one scenario where the advice makes much sense. If the person has driven a stick then they likely know the pros and cons of it and will be looking for a vehicle accordingly, no advice necessary. If they haven't then maybe they should be pushed one way or another, though I feel that they shouldn't.

The "more fun" argument is always brought up. It is a subjective opinion. Not a fact. Manual transmissions are not more fun. They are more fun for you, and others who like them.
Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:11 am

I don't really have much to add but I figure I should put my .02 in.

I currently drive a '99 toyota tacoma. Let me tell you, this truck is the shit. When I bought it 5 years ago it had 120K miles on it and it had no prior mechanical problems. Here I am now, currently with 227K miles on the engine and still there has yet to be one problem with the truck whatsoever. It still runs great. AC still works excellent. It still gets good 22mi/gallon gas mileage. Plus with the 3.4L 6 cylinder it has some nice power too. Not to mention I live in PHX and even with the insane heat the truck has been phenomenal. Anyways just wanted to drop some input. Toyota Tacoma's are bad ass and will run forever.
Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:23 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

futuristxen wrote:
AP1732 wrote:
redball wrote:

I drive a shifter car. Do you know what that is?
Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:55 am
erich

Sage Francis wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
AP1732 wrote:
redball wrote:

I drive a shifter car. Do you know what that is?

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:27 am
Dr Sagacious

Making a note: Sage Francis drives Bumblebee.
Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:32 am
WeDueThis

I can drive stick. It was fun at work and fun with friends cars but its something i really dont want myself. Early in the morning im known to balance a coffee filled to the top, changing tracks on the CD player and fumbling with my phone. I cant handle a stick too.
Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:11 pm
O2K
SFF has a stalker.

i bought my 98 honda accord ex coupe from a dealer in 2003. it had 85,000 miles. Now it has 168,000 miles. i love it. it still drives nice.
Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:21 pm
Dj Mayonnaise

27 wrote:
I don't really have much to add but I figure I should put my .02 in.

I currently drive a '99 toyota tacoma. Let me tell you, this truck is the shit. When I bought it 5 years ago it had 120K miles on it and it had no prior mechanical problems. Here I am now, currently with 227K miles on the engine and still there has yet to be one problem with the truck whatsoever. It still runs great. AC still works excellent. It still gets good 22mi/gallon gas mileage. Plus with the 3.4L 6 cylinder it has some nice power too. Not to mention I live in PHX and even with the insane heat the truck has been phenomenal. Anyways just wanted to drop some input. Toyota Tacoma's are bad ass and will run forever.

Did you look into that frame corrosion issue they had w/ Tacomas? They were giving customer 150% of the value if there was damage. Worth looking into.
Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:31 pm
hexagone
n3wb 4 life

As a person who has bought 6 cars in the last year (made attempts to buy numerous others)- I would certainly say that for cars under 6k- do not even fathom of going to the dealer.

If you don't have the money, go to a credit union as you'll probably get something like 6% on a used rate (ideally, i think). Regardless though-

With dealerships, they need to make money, so they mark up prices. With a private owner, they always have a reason why they need to get rid of a car. Sometimes it's urgent, sometimes it's not. When it is, you can get a great deal. I love to lowball the shit out of people and see them bite.

Also, carfaxes tend to be almost worthless. The best thing you can have is to find a one owner car- from the original private owner. Or second perhaps. But at least with used private cars, there will be history in form of documentation and/or word of mouth.

Finally. Buy a Honda or Toyota or maybe a Nissan. They're extremely reliable, and my family swears by Honda. Not to mention- why do you think their resale values are so much higher than other cars. Point proven.
Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:43 pm
Dream Inspired

red and i can vouch for not buying a nissan. i've had nothing but troubles with my 2003 SER's electrical system, which sucks because i really really like my car. i've owned it since it was new and it has 60 thousand miles on it... i'll bet that i haven't gone ten thousand miles without some type of problem.
three of my favorite/dream cars are made by nissan and i will never ever buy another one. go with a honda. i've had three or four hondas and they've all been great. i'll bet that my integra went at least fifty thousand miles with no problems.
Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:12 pm
redball

I would suggest that you don't buy a sub $5k Nissan for another couple years. Nissan really was shit until Renault took charge.
Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:12 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next