Search
Register
What is your experience buying a used car from a dealership?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

WeDueThis

What is your experience buying a used car from a dealership?  Reply with quote  

Im in the market for a car. I see alot of cars on craigslist from dealerships and i usually just write them off. Ive heard bad things and some of the prices seems to good for the low miles and nice look of the vehicle.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:40 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I had QUITE the experience buying a used van from a dealership.

FUCK YOU HERB CONNOLLY in Framingham, Ma!!!

part 1:
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=580251&sid=5b20c117f65c2bfc11ab88a863297d87

part 2:
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=581716&sid=5eff38b288bb95ebfdce0acfc3c0f1fd

part 3 is yet to be written, but there are actual developments on this fuck crap story.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:45 pm
WeDueThis

Holy crap so many quotables hahahahah.

"The truck won't start, John."
"My name is Paul. What do you mean the truck won't start? You mean my van won't start?"

Im sorry sage. It seems you pretty much feel they are not to be trusted. They are livin up to the hype.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:53 pm
Dj Mayonnaise

Your values will loosely be based off of this:

http://www.nadaguides.com/usedcars.aspx?LI=1-21-0-5002-844-923-59881&l=1&w=21&p=1&f=5004

There are definitely some shady ass dealers out there, but most are good. Do your homework regarding interest rates as well. Don't let them mark up your rate.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:55 pm
mzehe916

I bought a used Toyota Tacoma from a dealership. The truck is great, but I could have found a better deal if I bought from a private owner. Banks will lend to you if you buy from a private owner, understand this. Dealers will try to sell you on some pretty shit that fills their pockets...not to mention their interest rates can be beat, most often.

Now that the economy is falling I bet you can find a deal at a dealership. But you set the rules. Fuck, I don't know if you can negotiate, but you better fucking learn. You make the rules, you walk when they balk. They'll call you, if not that day, begging for you to come back. But if you show weakness, these sharks will jump all over you.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:01 pm
WeDueThis

Sage is that van still runnin well?

As for me im trying to go in and just pay it all in full, no payments or bullshit like that so im assuming interest rates and shit wont apply to me right? Im only lookin to spend like 2500 tops. Im not gonna be able to go to a big time dealership, just some shitty one on a corner.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:01 pm
mzehe916

WeDueThis wrote:
Im not gonna be able to go to a big time dealership, just some shitty one on a corner.

oh, then expect to get screwed and a car that will most likely show signs of abuse after the first 500 miles off of the lot.

I'd buy from a private owner if you are only looking to drop 2500. If you go to a dealer with that money you're better off buying a radical bicycle and a bus pass, because that's what you'll be using in the looooong run.

They take shortcuts, not saying they all do, but they all do. I delivered auto parts, and I'll say that I would never buy a car off of any of the small auto dealers that I delivered to.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:05 pm
WeDueThis

Basically this is one of the cars i think looks to sharp for the price:

$1500

Frost beige metallic with beige leather interior. Power moonroof. Aluminum wheels. 3.0L 6-Cylinder. Automatic Transmission. Bose sound system. Power windows, door locks, mirrors and drivers seat. Runs great. Needs front bumper painted and grill. Good transportation. 193,000 miles. Call Minnehan Car Company (586)296-9150.

and

$1799

95 mazda 929
4 dr auto
leather interior
sunroof
runs and drives good
loaded
sport wheels
call jamie@313 893-6050 after hours call gary@248 885-0254

A few more things that turn me off with private dealers is when they cant even spell the name of the cars they sell "lincon towncar" or when i start to notice the same phone number for a few different cars. Am i wrong to be wary of things like that?
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:09 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Fucking van.

Anyone on that tour can tell you the nightmare of driving with no air conditioning through the desert of Arizona while HEAT blasted out of the vents.

Yeah. That fucking happened for one whole trip across the country.

Also the breaks gave out.

We had to get a quick fix somewhere in Florida and this place left the van worse off somehow.

Finally it got fixed at a dealership where all of us spent the full day in a waiting room entertaining three kids with jokes, magic tricks and dances. That was fun though.

But...the fucking van.

It got us all home safe. It was running really well toward the tail end of the tour until I got home. I let a friend borrow the van for his band's tour because it was a short tour. I THINK he got a speeding ticket during that tour and I never knew about it. Eventually my license was suspended, which I didn't know about til I let another friend borrow the van and they got pulled over. So the van was impounded, I had to pay for the towing and a couple hundred dollars to get it back, and the plates were removed.

So does it run ok now? I'm not sure. Because I can't drive it. It sits in my driveway and it is used as storage space.

OH wait...and I recently received a note in the mail from the dealership saying that I need to bring it back to their dealership because there is a recall on the SHIFT. haha. There's a recall on the fucking thing. And to be honest, I can't be bothered to go through this. I can't even be bothered to go through the process of reinstating my license. I will eventually, but I need to improve my blood pressure before my heart explodes.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:11 pm
WeDueThis

Sage Francis wrote:
Fucking van.

Anyone on that tour can tell you the nightmare of driving with no air conditioning through the desert of Arizona while HEAT blasted out of the vents.

Yeah. That fucking happened for one whole trip across the country.

Also the breaks gave out.

We had to get a quick fix somewhere in Florida and this place left the van worse off somehow.

Finally it got fixed at a dealership where all of us spent the full day in a waiting room entertaining three kids with jokes, magic tricks and dances. That was fun though.

But...the fucking van.

It got us all home safe. It was running really well toward the tail end of the tour until I got home. I let a friend borrow the van for his band's tour because it was a short tour. I THINK he got a speeding ticket during that tour and I never knew about it. Eventually my license was suspended, which I didn't know about til I let another friend borrow the van and they got pulled over. So the van was impounded, I had to pay for the towing and a couple hundred dollars to get it back, and the plates were removed.

So does it run ok now? I'm not sure. Because I can't drive it. It sits in my driveway and it is used as storage space.

OH wait...and I recently received a note in the mail from the dealership saying that I need to bring it back to their dealership because there is a recall on the SHIFT. haha. There's a recall on the fucking thing. And to be honest, I can't be bothered to go through this. I can't even be bothered to go through the process of reinstating my license. I will eventually, but I need to improve my blood pressure before my heart explodes.

Oh shit. You got me worried. I caught 2 speeding tickets in a half hour in that wide ass state we call pennsylvania. I ignored them for a few years now and i received something in the mail which i think was telling me they let me off the hook. I didnt understand it so i didnt wanna call them. Ive called places in the past to get clarification and they end up on some "oh thanks for pointing out our mistake, you actually do owe us money".
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:16 pm
AP1732

For that money, I wouldn't suggest anything with a sunroof, premium sound, special wheels, leather or anything real special. Just raises up the prices. I would go with a real 'bare' car that runs better and longer.

You also need to get the car checked out by your mechanic before you buy it. When I was looking for a car, I did it with a car priced around 3,000 and my mechanic found a ton of things wrong with it that the dealership never said (like no dashboard lights!). I said I wouldn't buy it until they took care of the major things. They declined, waiting for an unsuspecting fool. This is also something Court tv shows have stressed.

Last edited by AP1732 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:18 pm
Dj Mayonnaise

WeDueThis wrote:

As for me im trying to go in and just pay it all in full, no payments or bullshit like that so im assuming interest rates and shit wont apply to me right? Im only lookin to spend like 2500 tops. Im not gonna be able to go to a big time dealership, just some shitty one on a corner.

Yeah, if you pay the whole thing in cash then you don't have to worry about that. You just have to worry about the shady ass dealers you're going to go to. That shit you're posting is sketchy as fuck.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:20 pm
WeDueThis

Dj Mayonnaise wrote:
WeDueThis wrote:

Yeah, if you pay the whole thing in cash then you don't have to worry about that. You just have to worry about the shady ass dealers you're going to go to. That shit you're posting is sketchy as fuck.

Yea thats what im saying. Them whips look to fly for the price and the ammentities. That mazda looks like a poor mans late ninties Lexus.

Fuck it. Im gonna have to just stick to private owners. I like to make sure if i buy i get to meet them at there crib. I want to know they are confident enough in the vehicle that i can see where they live.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:35 pm
theodora

Not that sketchy. That first car has 193,000 miles on it. That's why it's so cheap. It's been driven to shit.

Some musts: Yes, as someone said above, check the NADA value. Also get the vin number and Carfax it (if the dealer hasn't already carfaxed it for you). HAVE EVERYTHING CHECKED BY A NON-DEALER AFFILIATED MECHANIC BEFORE YOU BUY. I can't stress this enough. Yes, it will cost you money, but it's oh-so-worth it.

DON'T let the dealer see emotion. Poker face it the whole way. Once they know you have an attachment to the car, they can take advantage of it. When they tell you the price, WINCE. Tell them that's an awful lot. Dealers are there to haggle, they know the drill. You say you're going to pay all at once? Cool. If you decide to do the payment thing, then be sure not to do anything beyond 36 months. If you have to do a 60 month plan to afford the car, it means you cannot afford the car. And unless your credit particularly sucks, I wouldn't pay an interest rate above 7 or 8%.

For 2500 your best bet is a 10+ year old car with at least 100k miles, which is too bad because it is really not recommended that you buy a used car with anything over 60k miles. But, times bein times, is you have to spend 2500 look for something with less than 140k miles. Check for more reliable brands: Toyota, Honda, Subaru, maybe Nissan. Avoid the shitty bottom-shelf American cars like Ford-Mercury, Chevrolet, Dodge. They really do not endure, and Ford-Mercury especially are prone to myriad electric problems/multiple leaks once they hit a decade.

What about a '94 Corolla with 140,000 miles and 0 luxury features? That should be about 2500. Happy hunting.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:38 pm
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

when you go thru a dealer you still have to pay tax on the vehicle depending on the price of the car that could add another $1K in tax alone. Also, never pay the "asking price" of a used car. And if they offer an extended warranty do not pay the first price they offer you, if you really want a warranty negotiate the price.

For $2500 you will be able to get much more value out of your car thru a private seller.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next