Search
Register
swine flu
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

shambhala

swine flu  Reply with quote  

sorta hard to keep tabs on where things are at from where i am right now, but it looks like this could wind up being a serious pandemic, no?

if not this, i am virtually certain that in our lifetimes we will see a global pandemic of a serious fatal disease, probably a new one. that's not sensationalism, it's simple math and science. most diseases with a high rate of fatality are essentially created by nature to thin herds. so, almost every species has a variation of the pox virus that doesn't affect any species but the one it kills. when herds get overpopulated and clustered together, it's literally inevitable that a pandemic will occur and bring things into balance. we've basically eliminated or cured all the serious naturally occuring herd-thinners for human beings, smallpox being the most stark example. eventually nature's going to bob and weave ... 10 billion people on the planet is not sustainable, period. of all the doomsday scenarios that get thrown around, this one seems realistic and entirely probable.

"swine flu." it even sounds like some 12 monkeys shit. it doesn't look like it's that serious, but it drives home the point...it's probably only a matter of time.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:47 am
Brynjar

it fucks you up

Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:04 am
mancabbage

fuck sake im just gettingover my bird flu
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:33 am
Ardamus315

Re: swine flu  Reply with quote  

shambhala wrote:
sorta hard to keep tabs on where things are at from where i am right now, but it looks like this could wind up being a serious pandemic, no?

if not this, i am virtually certain that in our lifetimes we will see a global pandemic of a serious fatal disease, probably a new one. that's not sensationalism, it's simple math and science. most diseases with a high rate of fatality are essentially created by nature to thin herds. so, almost every species has a variation of the pox virus that doesn't affect any species but the one it kills. when herds get overpopulated and clustered together, it's literally inevitable that a pandemic will occur and bring things into balance. we've basically eliminated or cured all the serious naturally occuring herd-thinners for human beings, smallpox being the most stark example. eventually nature's going to bob and weave ... 10 billion people on the planet is not sustainable, period. of all the doomsday scenarios that get thrown around, this one seems realistic and entirely probable.

"swine flu." it even sounds like some 12 monkeys shit. it doesn't look like it's that serious, but it drives home the point...it's probably only a matter of time.

the media has definitely splattered the headlines about this with scientists saying they'd have to wait and see what else develops out of this. sucks that from NYC to Mexico, it could be spread in the US quickly. this morning, in DC, i saw a dude drive around with one of those hospital masks on. gotta prepare for the worst. :?
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:36 am
Captiv8

mancabbage wrote:
fuck sake im just gettingover my bird flu

More or less my thoughts. It's probably due to the lingering SARS.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:51 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

shambhala wrote:

This is a really teleological reading of biology. "Nature" doesn't "create" viruses to thin herd. "Nature" doesn't "create" anything! As you said, it's simple math and science specifically, genetics and probability it's not some politicized response by Nature to return the human population to a sustainable state.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:03 am
BillyDistro

I just turned in my final English paper on vaccination and immunization.

This week we have to do oral presentations and have a mock panel, discussing our topic with people who wrote on the same subject. This shit is crazy and will be great for my class discussion.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:37 am
Astro

I leave for Mexico next week.
gulp
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:02 am
cakes

shambhala wrote:
if not this, i am virtually certain that in our lifetimes we will see a global pandemic of a serious fatal disease, probably a new one.
i think i agree. AIDS has been trying. an attempt of infectious diseases as weapons won't help and they'll just get nastier. the National Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratories (NEIDL) is to open on campus here... a level 4 lab, the highest level of containment. the place where they bring the nastiest shit to study... needless to say, the neighborhood's not too thrilled.

we've got murderers and deadly diseases that were brought voluntarily here at the medical center... how cool!!! ;)

Last edited by cakes on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:04 am
note1

I'm not sure whether to be annoyed that cable news has now added swine flu to the list of things my mom needlessly worries about, or if our overeposure of these illnesses like SARS leads to a quicker response and quarantine and is actually helpful.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:05 am
BillyDistro

Astro wrote:
I leave for Mexico next week.
gulp

I'm going in May, 2 weeks from tomorrow. I hope you don't have to change your plans or miss your trip, and that shit clears up when I go as well.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:16 am
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

My professor told us to stay away from people, this morning. She's an idiot.

The bottom line, currently, is "this might be the worst, or it might be absolutely nothing. LETS NOT PANIC UNTIL WE KNOW FOR SURE!" Which actually means "everyone should speculate on national television and create mass hysteria."

The students in Queens who have this flu had taken a trip to Mexico for spring break. The flu didn't travel through the US from Mexico to NYC, it literally flew on an airplane to the North East. I think its worth being cautious, but not flipping your lid over it until we know for sure. As for the you guys who are headed to Mexico, I wish you the best and hope this is all cleared up by your trips. The shit about people shutting themselves in down there is the most bananas part of this thing right now.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:03 am
neveragainlikesheep

10 billion people? Try 6.7 billion dude.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:09 am
zeem

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&ll=32.639375,-110.390625&spn=15.738151,25.488281&z=5

real time map.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:16 am
mzehe916

They shut down a school outside of Sacramento this week.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:18 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next