Search
Register
4 "Pirate Bay" members recieve 1 year in prison.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Alright... because I can count on 2 hands the number of illegal things I've downloaded and most of them were things that I couldn't find anywhere like documentaries or TV movies.
Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:36 pm
Coffee Black

I'm torn over it. Those guys shouldn't be sent to jail. The site should be shut down. Wait... I used it to download a copy of The Colour Of Magic mini-series for my friend for Christmas because it wasn't released in the US. Oh and I got that Smoke City cd off of it because the lowest price I found was on ebay at $86.

If anything happens as far as torrent search engines go I think that there will be a bit more restriction on what the creators allow to be put up. However, this is easily fixed by intentional spelling errors. D3@dw00d instead of Deadwood, shit like that. Internet leet speak will take over torrent sites !!

I think the aftermath of all of this is going to be far more interesting and troubling than the present goings on. I can see a Napster repeat in the future for TPB. Doesn't really matter though, a new site will pop-up and be around for a long while until it too gets dragged through a courtroom.
Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:32 pm
Embryo

It's really too bad that simply by making use of Sweden's relatively sane copyright laws, TPB has caused those laws to be corrupted by the influx of industry attention. We're running out of havens for piracy. It's coming to the point where we might actually have to do something about copyright in the United States. Right now we're just exporting our problems to other countries, just like the war on drugs.
Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:08 pm
z-spot22

pardon my intranet ignorance but how will this affect other sites such as btjunkie, isohunt, mininova, scrapetorrent etc etc etc..........

i am guilty of downloading from time to time however most of the time i end up buying the downloaded item from the actual distributor or some other store...i think its nice to get a taste before buying ya know? or is that more ignorant than just downloading?

i dont know the rules or morals to this issue, to me its kinda like decriminalizing grass but still arresting for possession which i still dont get either
Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:24 pm
Majawala

i doubt its gonna effect much. torrents are so decentralized its gonna be impossible to stop it all.
Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:30 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

obviously.
Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:32 pm
Coffee Black

As far as I understand , there are no set rules/laws at the moment ( this is probably wrong.) The morals of it vary by person, I suppose. I understand the sampling bit though you can usually do that with myspace/last.fm/playlist.com etc these days. I have been known to download stuff I own because it is faster/easier than ripping to my comp or because the disc is in the car or I only have it on vinyl and don't feel like going through the process of transferring that to the comp.
Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:34 pm
Majawala

itd be great if all musicians and movie makers all had a pay pal. i dont have money now but once i get some i want to make up for all the dls. but the only way i know how to do it is buy the cd or movie. id like it way more if the money went to the right people and not the corporate ass hats.
Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:39 pm
WeDueThis

Sage do you attribute any of your relative popularity to that of the internet/downloading revolution? I personally know me and alot of my friends wouldn't have bought yours or many other indie rappers, rockers and metal bands if it wasn't for discovering you on kazaa, soulseek or what not. The only people from my perspective who seem to get hit the hardest are the big time major label acts.

Not that im trying to rob you of all the hardwork you've put in touring and building a name your damn self but i just feel i still never would have heard of you or bought some of your shit if i didnt get to feel it out first.
Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:49 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

Embryo wrote:
Right now we're just exporting our problems to other countries, just like the war on drugs.

Heh.

The war on torrents will get really stupid when joint RIAA/FCC covert operations in the jungles of Sweden come to light in the liberal press and we start getting commercials back home about deathly skinny, nerdy kids saying "This is your sense of entitlement...on downloads" and then they smash an MP3 player with a frying pan. Oh and PSAs about how downloads fund cyber-terrorism.

Such nonsense.
Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:51 pm
redball

We don't do business like that. We enforce our intellectual property laws view the WTO and trade agreements.

Basically, every trade agreement for the last 30 years has been this: "We'll sell out our working class in order to union bust so long as you will enact similar or worse intellectual property laws than we have." The other country sees value in this and complies. The WTO keeps tabs on this and dictates when it's fare to impose sanctions on the countries that don't play along.

There are a ton of laws regulating sites like TPB. They are pioneered here and then spread all over the world. When they are spread the boundaries are pushed, and then any expansion of those boundaries is brought back here with the reasoning that we have to "keep up."

The weaknees of torrents is that the trackers are centralized. The way it was originally conceived (for this particular use, the technology wasn't originally conceived to aid infringement) the tracker sites would be immune. The solution to that was legislation that declares enablers, linkers, and disseminators of information as criminals equally guilty of the crimes as the uploaders are. So it was a short lived defensive concept.

So, yeah... if TPB is shut down the result will be a shift to another similar site in a legal environment that hasn't been swayed by the Copyright industry. Until that eventually runs out, at which point it will probably become somewhat less convenient but not much less prevalent or available. Something will happen to further decentralize it.

My guess would be that one of the botnets will eventually host the trackers.
Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:43 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

For a while TPB was trying to buy Sealand to use it as a base of operations. That would've been something.
Post Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:57 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

An article about what happens to good people/products when everyone steals it:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/04/demigod-hit-by-massive-piracy-review-scores-take-beating.ars
Post Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:41 am
Embryo

breakreep wrote:
Embryo wrote:
Right now we're just exporting our problems to other countries, just like the war on drugs.

Heh.

The war on torrents will get really stupid when joint RIAA/FCC covert operations in the jungles of Sweden come to light in the liberal press and we start getting commercials back home about deathly skinny, nerdy kids saying "This is your sense of entitlement...on downloads" and then they smash an MP3 player with a frying pan. Oh and PSAs about how downloads fund cyber-terrorism.

Such nonsense.

it certainly is when you put words in my mouth, yes. could have actually just read what i wrote, but you didn't.
Post Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:33 am
Embryo

jakethesnake wrote:
An article about what happens to good people/products when everyone steals it:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/04/demigod-hit-by-massive-piracy-review-scores-take-beating.ars

anyone who starts a paid online game service and has no ability to verify that its clients are legit is asking for this to happen. that's just silliness.
Post Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:36 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next