Search
Register
DOOM on the topic of "Batty Boys"
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Jesse

DOOM on the topic of "Batty Boys"  Reply with quote  

From this interview on HipHopDX.com:

DX: On the new record "Batty Boys" you out Batman and Robin as homosexuals. What would you say to the accusation that that's a homophobic record?

DOOM: I don't know what I would say. It's not about homos. It's about Batman and them. They just happen to be homos. It's a story about Batman and it's like I got a personal beef with Batman, or I'll say the character DOOM, has a personal beef with Batman. Like remember the beef with DMX and Ja Rule [click to read]? The character DOOM is just in the realm of cartoons and comics, so his competition is Batman and these guys. And that nigga's a homo, so he's gonna say he's a homo. They ain't saying there's nothing wrong with being a homo. I'm not homophobic, I got friends that's homo. I'd say to the homos it's no big deal, I'm just teasing. I'm a nigga, how about that? You know how much shit I get? It's good to get conversations started like that. I did that [record] intentionally so we could start talking about these kind of things.

DX: I also read it as something a commentary on masculinity in Hip Hop as of late.

DOOM: How everything is tough guy shit?

DX: Actually I was thinking the opposite. It seems like, over the last few years things have gotten kind of... soft?

DOOM: Kinda bitchy? [Laughs] I look at it like, it's just a thing that's going on but there has to be people that speak to us too. We're men, so who's speaking for the men? So say you're not supposed to be like that and it becomes a style and everybody is dressing like this now. Your sexual orientation is a style now? For the youth that's growing up and they try to find their identity that could be a big mistake. So I'm just speaking from the side of a heterosexual male. I didn't try to over-tough-guy the shit, it's just regular shit. At the same time, notice in the song "Cellz," there's shit in there like "pull your pants up man." That's not appropriate for a man to be walking around with his pants all down, plus you'll get slammed like that, how you gonna get up? I'm a father too. I'm teaching, in a way, [to] my sons and anybody else that maybe don't have a father and they look up to the character. So I'm just on that side. DOOM is a beer-drinking guy, he's a responsible guy, but sometimes he might have weird opinions. The character could be homophobic. He could be, but he's not. It just happens that the niggas who he was fucking with at the time happened to be homos. "Them homo niggas took the money. So what you gonna do? You gotta go get 'em" whether he was a homo or not. He could be like "yeah that two-headed dude, he tried to rob me. You gotta go get 'em." Include everybody.

---

I don't know whether to be unimpressed at this kinda cop-out perspective where he bows out of taking into consideration that it's not just neutral, or impressed by the fact that he is a rapper who wants to make it clear that he is cool with gays. I guess both?

He addresses the DOOMpostor stuff candidly at the beginning of the interview, too, and I really wish the interviewer had made the point that it's not just that people didn't get HIM rapping when they went to the show, they didn't get ANYone rapping. They got a listening party with a lipsynch. In order for this shit to have any shred of validity, SOMEone would have to be performing for real.
Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:41 am
Reggie

Yeah, that's the answer that is not really an answer.
Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:46 am
Embryo

It's not a completely thoughtless or dismissive response, though, so I appreciate that. But clearly as much as Doom likes the idea of not being homophobic, he doesn't quite understand what it is to not be homophobic or at least heterocentric.

I think the concept of the song is fine. The execution isn't quite as clever as it sounds like Dumile thinks or hopes it is.
Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:36 am
ko-d

Maybe his response is more of a positive than the song was a negative?
Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:54 am
Bring that Beat Back

" It's not about homos. It's about Batman and them. They just happen to be homos. "

Sounds kinda negative. No?

I know someone's going to say ' that is just short for homosexual', but in my experience its almost always used in a derogatory way.

I don't know. sometimes the first word that pops out of your mouth says something.
Sometimes it doesn't. Not sure I care.
Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:05 am
dox

The album is terrible and his shtick is tired. The song was stupid and, yes, mildly homophobic... but mostly just awful.

edit: In reality, though, I care less about his "message" than I do the quality of his music these days, which is really sub-par.

Fuck this guy. Hopefully literally.
Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:10 am
Travadone

dox wrote:
The album is terrible and his shtick is tired. The song was stupid and, yes, mildly homophobic... but mostly just awful.

edit: In reality, though, I care less about his "message" than I do the quality of his music these days, which is really sub-par.

mf doom records were never good to listen to...neither was the kmd records...kmd fans jumped on the wagon years to late and did because it was the "cool" thing to do especially with the re release of black bastards...
Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:37 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

dox wrote:

Wait... what? You want to have sex with MF Doom?
Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:50 am
sequence

Travadone wrote:
dox wrote:

mf doom records were never good to listen to...neither was the kmd records...kmd fans jumped on the wagon years to late and did because it was the "cool" thing to do especially with the re release of black bastards...

Nah. Mr. Hood is the shit. Regardless. I agree about MOST Doom solo shit, though. And Black Bastards isn't nearly as good as Mr. Hood. Not even close.
Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:55 am
dox

icarus502 wrote:
dox wrote:

wait, you mean sexually? that's some homo shit.

and trav, I vaguely remember enjoying portions of madvillian.
Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:55 am
Jesse

ko-d wrote:
Maybe his response is more of a positive than the song was a negative?
Only if the response were to reach as many people as the song does, which is vanishingly unlikely. I guess it depends on whether you mean positive/negative with regard to his character or his effect on the world, though.

--
I'm surprised how much people are hating on this record. Not even hating... just meh-ing, even. I don't think it's perfect or up to VVVV or Madvillain but it's got some great moments. Doesn't it?
Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:56 am
Travadone

dox wrote:
icarus502 wrote:
dox wrote:

wait, you mean sexually? that's some homo shit.

and trav, I vaguely remember enjoying portions of madvillian.
you enjoying bits of madvilliany is like me saying poorly drawn people is good...
Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:59 am
Reggie

For a long time, I thought Black Bastards was mediocre, especially as compared to Mr. Hood. That's okay, since it's technically an "unfinished" album. Recently, though, meaning in the last six months, I've come to the opinion that it's a great record and, in some ways at least, better than Mr. Hood. The record picks up from "Stop Smoking That Shit" and never really cools down.

I do like the new record, though. I am still a fan of Doom's, though not an apologist by any means.
Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:08 pm
Jesse

Reggie wrote:
For a long time, I thought Black Bastards was mediocre, especially as compared to Mr. Hood. That's okay, since it's technically an "unfinished" album. Recently, though, meaning in the last six months, I've come to the opinion that it's a great record and, in some ways at least, better than Mr. Hood. The record picks up from "Stop Smoking That Shit" and never really cools down.
I think the beats are just unbelievable on Black Bastards, way beyond Mr Hood in general (although that's great, too).

Also some of the remixes and b-sides are even better. The remix of What A Nigga Know, Popcorn, all kinds of stuff. Crazy good.

I don't love every line of the rhymes, but I love the rhyme styles and energy displayed.

I only ever knew about them from Gas Face and occasionally hearing Peachfuzz or Hum Along played on Buck 65's show until Doomsday sparked the renaissance in interest, though, I'll fully cop to that.
Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:18 pm
dox

Travadone wrote:
poorly drawn people is good...

new ep, "motion not emotion," available now, sweetcheeks.
Post Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:28 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next