Search
Register
Taliban flogging women in Pakistan
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

shambhala

Wait, wait, what the hell is the argument even about at this point!?

We all agree, flogging women for having sex is bad. Some of us think that the punishment for doing so should be death for you and all who you hang out with. I think all of us, except for Ted at the beginning, probably realize that carpet bombing the tribal areas of Pakistan isn't going to A) happen B) help. So, what is the debate about at this point?

/thread (unless we're going to start talking about marriage in Pashtun communities. in which case carry on!)

<3
Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:18 pm
Jesse

WeDueThis wrote:
How am i fucking racist? Im a black gentlemen whos dating a white woman and ive dated girls of damn near every race.
This is one of those racist is as racist does things - the point is not that YOU ARE racist. The point is that IT IS racist for you to generalize the way you do about the middle east. Now, as to why it's racist instead of just plain culturally intolerant, that's a long story and it basically has to do with the cultural context we're steeping in. The cultural context doesn't come from YOU. It's not all about YOU.

Quote:

Also prop up? Really, i dont think we do that at all. I notice in little shit like a cartoon or tv show were its they show the male getting hit by the female but never ever ever show a female being hit by a male. Its just not acceptable here let alone being supported by some woman hating society.
I do agree that it is not popular to condone violence against women in our culture (that cartoon shit is a smokescreen though - the reason it's okay for the violence to go in that direction is because it's safe in general; proportionally way fewer dudes are brutalized by the opposite sex in real life than women), but I don't agree that this isn't a woman-hating society.

That's a whole other conversation, though.
Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:19 pm
shambhala

Before I duck out (and attend a presentation on Israeli human rights abuses at a bar, which should be even rowdier than this was), I want to just clear up what we are talking about when we say something like "shock and awe, imo."

wikipedia wrote:
Shock and awe, technically known as rapid dominance, is a military doctrine based on the use of overwhelming power, dominant battlefield awareness, dominant maneuvers, and spectacular displays of force to paralyze an adversary's perception of the battlefield and destroy its will to fight.

The phrase "shock and awe" quite literally means, bomb someone until they can't think straight and will do whatever you want. It is a stupid idea that probably went out of vogue with the war in Iraq.
Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:23 pm
WeDueThis

In summary i agree 90 percent with you guys. Beating women is bad and carpet bombing wont solve anything and isnt justified. My only disagreement is the level to which you guys think we support it in this country. In my personal life ive seen 0 support for it in any way.
Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:23 pm
erich

WeDueThis wrote:
Its just not acceptable here let alone being supported by some woman hating society.

are you the same guy who said the prostitute probably deserved getting beat by the sham-wow dude, and that you dont believe it was rape because she doesnt look appropriately upset about it and she didnt report it the way you expect her to?
Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:27 pm
mancabbage

Jesse wrote:
This is one of those racist is as racist does things - the point is not that YOU ARE racist. The point is that IT IS racist for you to generalize the way you do about the middle east. Now, as to why it's racist instead of just plain culturally intolerant, that's a long story and it basically has to do with the cultural context we're steeping in. The cultural context doesn't come from YOU. It's not all about YOU.

"raging racist" was a tad strong then no?
Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:31 pm
WeDueThis

erich wrote:
WeDueThis wrote:
Its just not acceptable here let alone being supported by some woman hating society.

are you the same guy who said the prostitute probably deserved getting beat by the sham-wow dude, and that you dont believe it was rape because she doesnt look appropriately upset about it and she didnt report it the way you expect her to?
I never once said she deserved to get beat. I just said i can understanding firing on someone who has my tongue in a kung-fu grip and im sorry i dont like to pull bullshit allegations out of thin air. Im not calling rape until its on a police report and documented. Im not gonna sit here and play backseat reporter and just make shit up to demonize people.
Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:39 pm
WeDueThis

If i wanted to be an ass i could go and stretch shit like some folks here like to do and say when you were attacking my grammar and spelling your really attacking the detroit school systems i was taught in and attacking the way black people run schools and teach their children. I could cry racist for days about that.
Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:43 pm
Jesse

mancabbage wrote:
"raging racist" was a tad strong then no?
Uh yeah hello it's called "backpedaling?"

Heh but no more like... the distinction between "being" and "behaving" wasn't very important until it got all "no I'm not" in here, so I wasn't very precise in the way I stated it.
Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:52 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

WeDueThis wrote:
Im losing steam and inspiration to be honest for all this.

Which is weird, because I think that the post this was in, the one right before it, and the ones after it are your best posts in this thread.

shambhala: This entire diversion was the product of my attempt to introduce the concept of moral relativism to, as well as illuminate what seemed like some fundamental inconsistencies in, weduethis's argument, which I (apparently, partially mistakenly) assumed was a revival of Ted's stance of "bomb them because of this particular crime of savagery". I have since engaged in a conversation with and learned a few things about weduethis, listened to some music, went shopping for groceries, and ultimately lost enough of my impetuses for arguing this out that now, finally, I can end my part in this cripplingly irrelevant distraction that, clearly, nobody else (and certainly not you) enjoyed. Now, it is your turn to answer my question from like THREE PAGES AGO, please, with your cryptically vague ass. <3
Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:19 pm
Travadone

Shamb,shut the fuck up...
Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:56 pm
shambhala

anyone check out the frontline episode about the Swat valley that was on tonight?

not trying to ressurect the gunfight, but it was interesting. the scene with the two girls talking about how they didn't want to wear the burkha broke my heart.
Post Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:03 pm
mzehe916

shambhala wrote:
anyone check out the frontline episode about the Swat valley that was on tonight?

not trying to ressurect the gunfight, but it was interesting. the scene with the two girls talking about how they didn't want to wear the burkha broke my heart.

I hadn't. I did read a story today about a couple that got caught as they were eloping and were executed by the Taliban in front of villagers. The girl didn't want to marry the man her family had arranged for her. Tragic. Love. Sad to hear.
Post Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:09 pm
shambhala

this is the clip i'm talking about.... it was a great episode, it'll probably be streaming online tomorrow.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/story/2009/04/where-women-are-flogged.html
Post Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:16 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

This thread is a nice rejoinder to the claim that opinion on this forum is so uniform and monotonous that we need the maintenance of regular buffoonery.
Post Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:39 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next