Search
Register
New SFR Gear.......Escape Artist & PFA T-Shirts
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Nah, I gotta use this SFR jet if I plan to justify owning one.
Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:56 pm
redball

I live in North East Jersey. Remind and Hercorama are further south, Perth Amboy or some shit.

I asked a relative question, though. As much as I'd welcome Sage to visit with measuring tape (or any tape, but not empty handed) it isn't needed to answer.
Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:01 pm
mzehe916

Sage Francis wrote:
How about we make this easy. Let me know where you live. I'll swing by and bring my measuring tape.

You'd do that for me? Fuck, I mean the SFR service is great, but this is going to be awesome.

I'll just wait til the Reno show, and then I'll unfold every shirt you have and try it on. Then after I try them all on I'll go buy a 2mex shirt. Then I can fanboy for 2mex while secretly desiring an Escape Artist shirt.

And I only ask this because every shirt you guys make seem to be from different shirt makers and I have a long torso. So I have some sfr halter tops and some shirts.

You could make it easier and open an SFR store in Sacramento. You can put it in between Pac Sun and Hot Topic.
Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:05 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Hot Topic carries my material sometimes.

Speaking of that, I should seriously hit them up and ask them to pick up our entire wardrobe.
Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:15 pm
firefly

MessiahCarey wrote:
[Nah, it's not just you. I've had this conversation with others. But generally speaking, yeah, I'd consider you a lefty. You're certainly more of a lefty than a righty, no? Regardless of what you ARE, I've yet to ever see you take a right-leaning position on anything.

I understand why you would think that I guess. But is believing in gun rights considered right wing? Or that the government shouldn't control education? I would of thought that those are both left wing stances. At least to me I think that those two issues are about the freedom to protect yourself and the distrust in the government. A lot of my left leaning friends think that my beliefs are conservative as well.

Quote:

To the point - the sexism of their ads is, still, slightly questionable. They are sexY ads, to be sure, but I'm not sure that the notion of their ads being sexIST is an open/shut case with me.

I don't consider all of their ads to be sexist but there are plenty that I find objectify women. I should scan all the ones that I find questionable and post them somewhere. They have a full back page ad on a popular weekly every week. I see gross ones a lot! But perhaps that is subjective.

Quote:

One of the other things that Bernard's research enumerated was some of the shadier unions that are dealt with in the garment industry - unions that companies like AA have done research and taken effort to avoid, while allowing other unions to do their thing with more approval than you're likely to get out of any other garment company. Basically...Dov Charney being a sexist pig (which is not in dispute, like the ads could be) isn't as harmful to as many people as the good that is done by his potentially industry-shaping business plan

I agree with some of this reasoning, I just feel that we should still demand better. By praising AA for their ethics we're either ignoring the other issues or saying that it doesn't matter. I'm not sure how down I am with the "their good outweighs the bad" reasoning. I mean I see your point, I just don't subscribe to that belief.
Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:19 pm
kese

firefly wrote:

I agree with some of this reasoning, I just feel that we should still demand better. By praising AA for their ethics we're either ignoring the other issues or saying that it doesn't matter. I'm not sure how down I am with the "their good outweighs the bad" reasoning. I mean I see your point, I just don't subscribe to that belief.

Just because the CEO's a slime ball doesn't mean it's not a good company.

American Apparel is leagues ahead of other manufacturers in so many aspects it's ridiculous.

The only other real choice for sweatshop free apparel is to go through NoSweat to get U.N.I.T.E. union made shirts. They're great too.. less fashion forward, but I feel their business practice has been antiquated by globalization.

--------------
Sage, there's of number of brands that make the thicker cotton tees that you like... NoSweat is one, Bayside is another that I've printed for SFR/ KnowMore, but haven't worn yet, they look/ feel thick and rugged though, then Gildan (which isn't ring spun, it's just a bit thinner) etc...

I usually prefer wearing those types of tees too... I will wear an AA shirt a size larger than usual if there's one hanging around though.
Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:52 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
firefly

kese wrote:
Just because the CEO's a slime ball doesn't mean it's not a good company

We've had this discussion sooooooooo many times, it's getting tired now.

If you don't think that the CEO of a company sexually harassing it's employees is bad example of how a company should be run, well I don't know what to say. Some people are under the belief that we should weigh the pros and the cons (and on a strictly business POV, that's the more ethically conscious decision I suppose) but if you're endorsing a company, praising it's ethics then I think that it's overlooking the negative aspects and I personally have a problem with that.

It's tricky finding ethical clothing in todays world. I understand that. But it doesn't make a company ethical just because they are BETTER then all the horrible ones. What if there were tons of clothing companies that are made in America/Canada/ETC with good paying wages and DIDN'T have sexually exploitive imagery in their ads and didn't have a CEO with three previous sexually harassment cases? How would AA look then?

Ethical by comparison? I'm not down with that logic.
Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:46 am
mzehe916

firefly wrote:

We've had this discussion sooooooooo many times, it's getting tired now.

Let's just roll with this idea(^^^^^), and put the focus back on the shirts that are for sale.
Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:11 am
Jesse

firefly wrote:
I understand why you would think that I guess. But is believing in gun rights considered right wing? Or that the government shouldn't control education? I would of thought that those are both left wing stances. At least to me I think that those two issues are about the freedom to protect yourself and the distrust in the government. A lot of my left leaning friends think that my beliefs are conservative as well.
Both of the explanations you describe are right wing / conservative (not the same thing, but these happen to be both).

Leftism is collectivism, which (in larger populations) tends to mean investing authority in a centralized body such as a state. Distrusting the government is not itself a typically leftist value - although leftists may distrust A given government without contradiction.

I'm not spouting ideology right now, although I do happen to be a collectivist who's against private gun ownership and in favour of state regulation of education. I'm just talking about what the distinction really is.

The axis of "conservative" to "liberal" has to do with how much power you wish to invest in an authoritative body, and the axis of "left" to "right" has (in a rough sense) to do with principles of collectivism versus individualism.

What most people mean when they describe themselves as "left" or "liberal" is "compassionate" or "progressive." It has almost nothing to do with what those terms mean or where they come from, though.

--

Anyway, AA is not the devil but I do kind of bristle at the notion of endorsing Charney in any way. Plus their sizing is on some body-hating shit, so I rarely fuck with them.

I work with printers who use Just Shirts - http://www.justshirts.ca - a garment co-op made up of Salvadorean single mothers who share profits equally. I guess they're anarcho-syndicalist? (That's leftist, sort of perversely, if you're keeping track.)

The printers I used for my last batch are called "Me to We Style" - http://www.metowestyle.com/ - and they not only use those shirts, they donate 50% of their profit to Free The Children - http://www.freethechildren.com.

It wasn't cheap but it assuages my soul a little when I wobble on my Coke boycott. I profit maybe half as much from those shirts as I would from dicier Gildan or AA or whatever (in US funds, I paid about $11 per shirt and I sell them for $15). I'm still on the lookout for a company that is anywhere near as ethical, plus makes garments to fit real humans, that I can actually make a living from... I may have a lead from my homeboy Ad-ver-sary - http://www.ad-ver-sary.com - but we'll see how that pans out.

--

Anyway, those are nice designs. I just finished reading [i]The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay[/url] so I'm very into ... escapism? ... at the moment. I might need to represent.

(It spares me the ignominy, as a rapper, of wearing another rapper's face on my body)
Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:12 am
mobe

Nobody's gonna jump on the Hot Topic mention? Pfft, fuggin sellouts.

This forum needs an FAQ.
Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:16 am
Jesse

mobe wrote:
Nobody's gonna jump on the Hot Topic mention? Pfft, fuggin sellouts.
Hot Topic is not punk rock, but if you don't give a shit about being punk rock in particular that doesn't really matter at all.
Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:17 am
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

Hot Topic is just a store. It is a store that sometimes carries shirts that I can't find at Graywhale. It is the only reason I ever go the mall. I go to the mall once every other year.
Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:56 am
Jesse

breakreep wrote:
Hot Topic is just a store. It is a store that sometimes carries shirts that I can't find at Graywhale. It is the only reason I ever go the mall. I go to the mall once every other year.
Ooooooh true mark of a sellout. You should be ashamed.

I don't even wear clothes, I'm keeping it pure like Troubleneck.
Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:58 am
kese

I definitely think SFR should get it merch into HotTopic.

Jesse, I also think you should charge more for your shirts.

Firefly, I've been dealing with t-shirts everyday for years now. And since the get I've been trying to source the 'best' shirt available.
Like anything there's always a balance.

Ordering 30 t-shirts every now and then is one thing. Finding a consistent supplier with the proper balance of style, color, size, quality, price, availability, and turnaround is key. Ethical concern is icing on the cake.

American Apparel as a company comes through with these things.

I'll be the first person to say Dov Charney is a slimeball. But American Apparel is a good company to get shirts from. I've never talked to Dov in my exchanges with the company, therefore it does exist beyond him.

Like Sage said, someone's always going to find a problem with something.
Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:00 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jesse

kese wrote:
Jesse, I also think you should charge more for your shirts.
You think? I was doing $20 US for a while, but I had forgotten about the price difference when I decided that, so maybe I went too far in the other direction to correct it.
Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:32 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next