Search
Register
SFR at SXSW - Now with Reviews and VIDEOS!
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

dilly dilly

oh maaaaaaaaaan... I wish I wish I wish I could come to this!

forgoddamnshitsakes
Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:33 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Re: Damn near the whole SFR roster at SXSW on 3/21  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:

These (200) screenprint posters are numbered and signed by the designer, sage francis, B. Dolan and Jared Paul. Available at www.SFRstore.com

This is a weird poster! Buck's name should be bigger if you want to get people's attention! No offense to Sleep, who is an artist that I enjoy, but he's not there yet to get billing over Buck.
Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:35 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Hey hey now. I know you love Buck. I love Buck. I've already been through this with Jesse. haha.

I'm not really depending on the placement of Buck's name on this poster to catch people's attention and get them to the show. It's the label brand and the overall line up that matters. As far as Sleep's name being up there, he's the SFR artist with an SFR album about to be released. So he gets to have his name a little bigger. heh.

k?
Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:46 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

unstickied
Post Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:39 am
futuristxen

Ahahaha. Jesse's brain must have exploded. Poor guy.
Post Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:08 am
passenger

wow, best showcase out of all of SXSW. I still can't believe I saw the entire SFR lineup all in one night. Amazing show by everyone on the label. It was great getting to meet everyone again and some for the first time.

Jared Paul ripped some acapella first (can't wait to see him with the full band)

Cecil up next.. first time seeing him perform solo and he didn't disappoint. He doesn't have the most engaging stage presence in the world but his laid back approach suits him and his music extremely well so it works for him.

Prolyphic stepped out in front of the stage, crowd level, for a great performance.

2 Mex.. i never really got into him before from the little i heard. When he came on I still didn't really get into it..... UNTIL his full band came out. Turned out to be one of my favorite performances of the night after that.

Buck 65 put on a wonderful show as usual complete with a Devo song

B.Dolan... my first time getting to see B live... incredible, just incredible. I love the new songs and hearing the Justin Timberlake poem live was so good. Not to mention he now owns the record for jumping the largest monitor, ha.

Sleep.. short performance since he lost his voice but a lot of respect for him still performing and performing well under the circumstances

Sage.. Hadn't seen Sage in 2 years so this was my favorite part of the night. Just an insanely good set from start to finish. So happy to have heard some of the new material. Then B and Sage came up and tons of people from the crowd took the stage with them.. even Curtis Plum came up and finished the night off with the cellphone song

Just one amazing night. Thanks to all the SFR crew for making it down and making it a memorable night!

If anyone wants to see pictures from the show you can look in my SXSW photo album on my myspace. http://www.myspace.com/passengergstk

Photobucket
Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:32 am
b. dolan
FBI agent

what a great fucking show. lots of really memorable, special performances from everybody involved. if i try to list them i'll forget some.

let's just say, Curtis Plum called us out of nowhere the day before, having arrived in Austin on a greyhound after getting jumped in Denver... came up onstage and performed 'Cellphone' for the show's finale. Perfect, perfect, perfect night.

Great to meet Jesse and passenger, and to see mp3d, diane and serg again. Too fried for a full recap right now, but it was a good goddamn night.
Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:59 am
MP3D
Straaaange FAMOUS!

yeeeeeep. Passenger pretty much summed it up nicely. the showcase was fanfuckingtastic. even though i was pretty much worn out to the core by saturday night, the SFR team managed to keep me on my toes. Great job to everyone!!!!

yeah, 2Mex's live band part of his set was one of the greatest performances ive ever seen. i was literally in a trance for 15 minutes. where did that come from?

B.Dolan KILLED IT!!!! and after it was dead he spit on its grave. Hat off to you sir, incredible.

and of course Sage managed to live up to what i have come to expect from his shows. He ALWAYS puts on a great show, but this time he outdid himself.wow.

thanks for such a wonderful evening fellas!

here are a few photos i took. i have a really good video recording of the last song and the cellphone song, but wasnt sure if it would be kosher to post it here. if its cool i can put it up for everyone who missed out on SXSW this year. let me know.

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:54 pm
Sypita

Passenger and MP3d said it all. I too was pretty burnt out after an intense week of fantastic music and festivities, but this show was tops. A perfect ending to a perfect week. I was blown away! I want to thank everyone at SFR who came out and fucking brought their A game! Seriously everyone was on point. I'll be basking in the glow if these past few days for awhile.
Oh yeah and the last 10 min of 2Mex's set...what the fuck!?! Unexpected and amazing!
Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:24 pm
Jesse

Open letter to B. Dolan:

Dear Mr. Dolan,

Warn a motherfucker before you come out with the heat like that.

Sincerely,
Jesse D's urine-soiled pants

--

I arrived shortly after 2mex started (had to race across town after the free Busdriver show got pushed back by over an hour) and from the moment I got there I was blown away.

It was the indie rap shows of my youth writ large! All of the intensity and innovation of the things you used to only be see in cruddy bars with lousy sound, but with an expert edge and professional precision. I'm so glad I scrounged a bracelet up! My life would be poorer if I'd missed this, I'm serious about that.

Was the band that played with 2mex an existing band or players who assembled around him? Also, was that Lester Bangs on the Kaossilator or what?

It was very, very funny to me that Buck performed "Dang" over an edit of "Waiting Room" - the same Fugazi song MC Lars and I used for No Logo! Jeez, Buck, get off our D's!

The medley Buck put together of his older material was beyond killer. All of this shifting, slicing, reconstructing, effecting, demolishing and battering that Ableton makes possible is liable to blow the world up. Hell.

Dolan was the surprise blockbuster of the season. I kind of can't get over it - I don't mean to express this much surprise to indicate that there's some reason he SHOULDN'T be so good, it's just that when you think you've known who a dude is and what he does for some time now, and then all of a sudden OH FUCK he also BY THE WAY does your FAVOURITE THING like an absolute champion... you are surprised!

And Sage! Good old Sage. I hadn't seen him perform in (he corrected me on this) seven-and-a-half years, and it has certainly been what my life was missing. Lord of all fuck, was it good to see again.

I LOVE RAP. DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT.
Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:16 pm
Jesse

Oh hey also, during Buck's set!

I was wilding out like I do and this girl crept up and put her ice cubes from her drink in my mouth. I wasn't sure what the suave response to this was, so I tried to spit one into her beckoning cleavage (in a feminist way). I missed, which is a shame because soon her attention drifted and she started just whipping her ice cubes at other showgoers in the first row, stage right.

They got pissed and someone threw a full drink back at her.

It sailed over her head and smoked me directly in the face!

Moral of the story: that was awesome.
Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:20 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

hahaa I like that story.

However, Curtis Plum's account of sxsw takes the cake:

http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/my-trip-to-southby-or-meeting-sage-francis/
Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:55 am
C.R.A.Z.Y

i love this curtis plum guy. how cool he is.
Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:17 am
Jesse

Haha I just remembered the "House of Bees" dance-off.

SAGE: "Stop doing it sexy!!"

DOLAN: "Do I really look like an asshole doing this?"
Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:52 am
MessiahCarey

DAMNIT I WANTED TO BEEEEEEEEEE THEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRREEEEE

Haha.

Looks like a good time was had. That's what I like to hear.
Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:01 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next