Search
Register
Monsanto and the obama administration
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

zeem

Monsanto and the obama administration  Reply with quote  

The evil reptilian GMO giant, monsanto, has friends in this administration as much as any other. hilary clinton and Tom Vislack, the new secretary of agriculture (http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_15573.cfm) among others.

Last month the "food safety modernization act" was introduced to congress which would put an end to most farmers markets and roadside food stands.

http://cryptogon.com/?p=7362
http://www.opednews.com/articles/Goodbye-farmers-markets-C-by-Linn-Cohen-Cole-090303-287.html

Quote:

What this will do is force anyone who produces food of any kind, and then transports it to a different location for sale, to register with a new federal agency called the “Food Safety Administration.” Even growers who sell just fruit and/or vegetables at farmers markets would not only have to register, but they would be subject inspections by federal agents of their property and all records related to food production. The frequency of these inspections will be determined by the whim of the Food Safety Administration. Mandatory “safety” records would have to be kept. Anyone who fails to register and comply with all of this nonsense could be facing a fine of up to $1,000,000 per violation.

I’ve bought food at several farmers markets for years and I have yet to meet any vendors who are fond of the government. I think it’s pretty safe to say that most vendors at farmers markets won’t go along with this. The problem will be that the people who run the farmers markets will be forced to make sure that vendors are “registered” with the government.
Is this Change we can believe in? Maybe it is for Obama’s Secretary of Agriculture, Tom “I Fly with Monsanto” Vilsack.

For the rest of us, this is a nightmare.

This is very bad.
Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:49 pm
Embryo

Food sellers have to register?

Really? This is very bad?

The thing you quoted is silly exaggerated. I'm sorry, I just don't see the impact. Based on some expectation of whether farmers are "fond" of the government?

Meanwhile do we have Obama's back on this?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090301/pl_nm/us_obama_farm

He's proposing to dramatically cut US farm subsidies for farms that sell over $500,000 a year. This is a family farm, farmstand friendly act that will seriously curtail the industrialization and consolidation of our domestic agriculture. It's awesome. And the big guys hate it.
Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:56 pm
Scottie

Re: Monsanto and the obama administration  Reply with quote  

zeem wrote:

This is very bad.

I agree but at least it has about zero chance of passing.
Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:59 pm
firefly

Yes. When I read about the Monsanto connection I thought that was very troubling. Anybody connected to those d-bags are sketchy in my opinion.
Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:12 pm
zeem

Embryo wrote:
Food sellers have to register?

Really? This is very bad?

The thing you quoted is silly exaggerated. I'm sorry, I just don't see the impact. Based on some expectation of whether farmers are "fond" of the government?

Ya, you are right, it is an overreaction.

I watched "the future of food" a couple of weeks ago, and that made me super sensitive to all of this monsanto stuff. Its completely fucked up.
Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:17 pm
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

Oh yay you watched Future of Food?! Didn't the farmer's stories make you sick? The old man and his wife from Canada made me cry- I felt so bad for them. To cultivate and save your own seeds for all of those years only to have them destroyed due to a fluke.

Go Monsanto. You put hope in agro-business.
Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:23 pm
Embryo

Don't get me wrong, I agree. Monsanto is pure evil in its entire mission as a corporation. So many many things they do should be illegal.
Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:24 pm
Stumbleweed

Scottie, can you provide some info/context about why you think it will not pass? With all the food quality scares the last few years, it seems like an easy way for some d-bag politician to say "I'm tough on irresponsible food companies" or something along those lines.

I thought there was language about having all farm animals RFID tagged in this bill also...
Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:27 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
shambhala

How in the fuck can you not see the potential for abuse here? You are going to make my head explode in a purple shower today Embryo.
Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:28 pm
MessiahCarey

Stumbleweed wrote:
Scottie, can you provide some info/context about why you think it will not pass? With all the food quality scares the last few years, it seems like an easy way for some d-bag politician to say "I'm tough on irresponsible food companies" or something along those lines.

Or, maybe we'll be lucky enough to get the Bush-esque "national security" line from the new administration!
Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:44 pm
Embryo

shambhala wrote:
How in the fuck can you not see the potential for abuse here? You are going to make my head explode in a purple shower today Embryo.

There's potential for abuse in any kind of regulation! The EPA can abuse its oversight just as easily. That's why we have elections, so we can elect competent people to execute complicated government programs. There is nothing particularly onerous about this, despite the dramatic write-up. They have to register with a government agency which MIGHT inspect them sometimes. It's not like the SS is going to roll in and be like "show me the beef". It's just like anything else, if you keep and submit the records you are required to submit (like, "Today, I looked at my vegetables and they didn't have parasites or rat poison on them" or "Today I washed my veggies after I harvested them to remove contaminants and fertilizer") you probably will not be audited.

If you see a problem with this, please explain it to me. If I fail to understand what you're saying, I'll feel responsible for your head exploding. If you don't even try, it's your own fault.
Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:50 pm
Nahgied

I've got some geraniums in the backyard that aren't exactly street legal. Keep it on the QT though.
Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:51 pm
3flip

Embryo wrote:
shambhala wrote:

There's potential for abuse in any kind of regulation!
Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:01 pm
Scottie

Stumbleweed wrote:

I thought there was language about having all farm animals RFID tagged in this bill also...

The biggest red flag is the single party support. To trample on state rights in this way and refer the bill to committee with zero across party support points towards a quick death in committee.

I agree that it may gain traction but for it to build support it needs the bill is going to end up being altered quite a bit. It certainly is worth watching...

Embryo: Do you have no problem with the Federal Gov't stepping into intrastate commerce?
Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:05 pm
Embryo

Scottie wrote:

Embryo: Do you have no problem with the Federal Gov't stepping into intrastate commerce?

I do have a problem with it insofar as it is unconstitutional. And that it is a slippery slope that leads to things I like being messed with. But I'm not sure I am well-versed in all of the potential implications. Is this your basis for having a problem with it? If so, there is probably an argument you could make to change my mind.

What I'm saying is that it's not going to ruin farmstands. That just seems silly to me. And I -am- concerned about food safety, although I think that if the FDA actually did its job we wouldn't have much of a problem with it. Perhaps it would be more proper for states to take care of this, but if they will not, the federal government has a compelling interest to find a way to implement uniform standards of food safety.
Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next