Search
Register
Breaking Bad!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

adic

R. Kamidees wrote:
cakes wrote:
so what do you guys think this says about walt? there's a difference between killing and not saving, but he went to and stopped, so clearly made a conscious decision. wicked scene.

I saw that scene as the ultimate showdown between Walt and Heisenberg. It used to be that he needed to be in business mode to let Heisenberg out, but as we saw from the pool party incident and his choice to take the stash to Gus instead of be there for his daughter's birth, Walt has slowly been losing control of him. That scene simply proved that Walt has been emasculated through family/financial turmoil, and has been relying on his alter ego for a masculine identity, and it has finally bled over. The decision was ultimately Heisenberg's, but the tears were Walt's.

Great scene, Walt is clearly thinking more like Heisenberg now. His insticts said to help her, but the girl knew too much so once that set in he had to hold back. I'm curious if he realized the he just had a beer with that girls dad?
Post Wed May 27, 2009 12:17 am
cakes

good ideas. i agree with them. it's tough. my buddy and i agree that it was a demonstration of how far his character has really come. he thinks that because walt killed in a more active self-defense before, that this is almost worse on the moral scale. i can see what he means by that. especially because he went to save her, but then stepped back. but if you think about the only interactions he had with her, he never saw the positive side that we all saw. as my buddy said, "he never met apology girl."

when it comes to the money or the birth of the baby, i have to say i might have gone for the 1.2 million as well. mostly because it was his way of getting rid of it all at once so that he would hopefully not have to worry about it any more. clearly not going to happen. he seems to really enjoy the drama at this point, and feeling like a badass.

i thought the manager of the chicken joint was spot on, walt IS super careless most of the time. don't keep all your money in one place! shoulda lied to jesse about how much it was. at least for now while he saw what terrible a shape he was in. though i suppose the money could have been the motivation for them to get clean. you never know of course. a kid i watched it with thought he shoulda just offed jesse while he was at it, or at least taken some of the money. all in all, i think it'll be tough to tell he was there unless you really investigated, but i don't really see how there would be any cause to. how the hell is jesse going to react? don't see good things...

i agree that the house looks chemically damaged, most likely consistant with a destroyed meth lab. i mean, the dudes are all walking around in hazmat suits. but how does it get there? he's frustrated enough that he has to find a way to get the money he already has into the open... those scenes are awesome
Post Wed May 27, 2009 8:13 am
C.R.A.Z.Y

cakes wrote:
shoulda lied to jesse about how much it was. at least for now while he saw what terrible a shape he was in.
i thought he did lie about the money and take a bigger portion for himself, even after saul's fee?
Post Wed May 27, 2009 12:31 pm
wesfau

C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
cakes wrote:
shoulda lied to jesse about how much it was. at least for now while he saw what terrible a shape he was in.
i thought he did lie about the money and take a bigger portion for himself, even after saul's fee?

Nah. Saul got 20%.

1.2M(.2)=240,000

Walt told Jesse that his half was 480,000, or 1/2 of $960,000.
Post Wed May 27, 2009 1:24 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

wesfau wrote:
C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
cakes wrote:

Nah. Saul got 20%.

1.2M(.2)=240,000

Walt told Jesse that his half was 480,000, or 1/2 of $960,000.

i know that saul got 20 percent. but i thought walt lied about how much they got from the crazy chikcen guy and claimed it was 1.2 million they received? i know .8 million was not sauls fee.
Post Wed May 27, 2009 1:31 pm
Stumbleweed

$1.2 million was the amount agreed upon by Walt and Gustavo (via the creepy guy coming out of nowhere at Pollos Hermanos) -- that's been the amount the whole time. Subtract Saul's 20% cut and you get $960,000 ($480K each), which is what he told Jesse.
Post Wed May 27, 2009 1:34 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
C.R.A.Z.Y

oh, i see now. when i was watching it, i missed the one part and only heard two million. whew. that missing number was making me think that walt ripped off his boy jesse.
Post Wed May 27, 2009 1:55 pm
Embryo

anyone else find this show to be too deeply disturbing to enjoy?

I'm tempted to blame it on artlessly brutal writing. Don't get me wrong, the writing is incredibly good in many respects. The characters, the interrelationships between characters, and irony everywhere. But I'm looking for moments of redemption in this show and I find very, very few. Even in a general downward spiral, life has moments of beauty and characters take steps forward even as they are taking steps backwards.

Walt has a baby girl, which is a great opportunity to provide positive feelings. But they don't even let Walt be there for the birth -- they make it part of his general theme of discombobulation and distraction from his family. We already know that's the case, though, and they don't need to show it again.

Then it becomes a throwaway device to push a wedge between him and Jesse, but they don't need that either -- the money would have been enough.

And later, the conveniently ironic juxtaposition of the new baby and Walt's manslaughter of someone's daughter is useful only to slide the knife in even further. At the cost of an emerging character who could have provided a route upwards while adding a strong female voice to the overall mix of the show.

To me that is emotionally hamfisted writing. It is much easier to destroy than build. There's a certain satisfaction to be had from breaking your audience open with brutal efficiency, but it's a bit of a cruel one. And if you can't put them back together again, you're not as clever as you think you are.

MAYBE they are going for a sharply V-shaped story arc, which is always risky with a television show of unknown duration. But I would wager that's why most shows' writers feel compelled to bring audiences up down and up in shorter intervals.

All I can say is that If Breaking Bad ended at the end of this season I'd have a hard time recommending it to anyone who I wasn't trying to cause emotional pain.

The feeling it gives me reminds of the movie Very Bad Things, which I really found excruciating to watch because it wasn't funny enough to be a successful black comedy. You really brutalize your audience's imagination with no ability to distract them from it or give them an emotional lifeline, and you are really not adding anything to their lives.
Post Sat May 30, 2009 3:27 pm
AdamBomb

Embryo wrote:

I love the show and I think that the mark of a good show is to tell a story so well it makes you feel something (be it good or bad). The character buildup and premise lay a strong foundation for you feel like you are going along for the ride, which I like. I get knots in my stomach almost everytime I watch this show.

I am kind of concerned that Walt will not have any redeeming qualities left for you to root for him, especially after that last episode. That was some cold shit.
Post Sat May 30, 2009 6:23 pm
R. Kamidees

Embryo wrote:

Post Sun May 31, 2009 2:55 am
C.R.A.Z.Y

Embryo wrote:

i think many people find real life too deeply disturbing to enjoy, and this is why i like breaking bad ... because it is pretty realistic. you are looking for redemption, but just like life there's not always an easy, pretty, clean, tied-up-in-a-ribbon answer. that's what after school specials are for.
Post Sun May 31, 2009 4:05 pm
Ardamus315

too disturbing? man, the crazy dad from malcom in the middle is a metha dealer on the show. as serious as the show is, it still makes me laugh.
Post Sun May 31, 2009 5:02 pm
AdamBomb

The second episode of the 2nd season with Tuco and his wheelchair-bound uncle was some of the best TV i have ever seen. I think I bit all of my fingernails off. I kind of wish Tuco lived on because that was one interesting character. Seriously, I would watch a whole series on just Tuco. I'm waiting for another episode that packs that much punch.
Post Sun May 31, 2009 5:07 pm
Embryo

C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
Embryo wrote:

i think many people find real life too deeply disturbing to enjoy, and this is why i like breaking bad ... because it is pretty realistic. you are looking for redemption, but just like life there's not always an easy, pretty, clean, tied-up-in-a-ribbon answer. that's what after school specials are for.

this show isn't real life though -- it's a television show. realistic or not, it's not real. it's scripted. documentaries on disturbing topics, i regard these with enthusiasm. i don't mind that. i don't mind rough truths. i appreciate them for their inherent value regardless of how they make me feel. but this is a work of fiction composed for television with an audience in mind and an expectation of how the audience will respond is a crucial piece of the compositional math. if this show is to be a tragedy in the classic sense, that's cool too. but right now it's just a pileup, not as a production (the production is top notch), but as in like what little boys do with a bunch of matchbox cars when they're mad at their parents. there has got to be more to learn from these characters before i will accept this show as a succesful work of tragedy.

and just in terms of writing tactics, i question the wisdom of offing jane. the reward/cost of that move seems to me, right now, to have been poorly calculated.

i mean, they can make the show whatever they want to be. but just because a show has realistic dialogue, high production values, great acting, high-impact plot twists, and a great initial workup of its cast of characters, this does not make it a good show. i guess what i'm saying is that i'm starting to question whether all of the above attributes that make my monkey brain enjoy the tittilating, devastating visuals in front of it are actually just hiding a lack of purpose. and now that i've begun to doubt the purpose, i'm tempted to question what's really behind the shiny curtain.
Post Sun May 31, 2009 6:44 pm
Majawala

Quote:

i mean, they can make the show whatever they want to be. but just because a show has realistic dialogue, high production values, great acting, high-impact plot twists, and a great initial workup of its cast of characters, this does not make it a good show.

good producer you would not make. yea i said it like yoda.
Post Sun May 31, 2009 7:02 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next