Search
Register
Pictures and reviews from the SFR basement show
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

that show looks like fun
Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:09 pm
cubbiebear

yea and i'd like to remix a sage francis song.
Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:30 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Here are some more pics taken by "Swope"

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Jared Paul

My head's been spinning since Friday night; had a nasty visit with the dentist the morning after the show, my dummer's other band had a performance which PFA members attended Saturday night, and Sunday was recovery.

Today's the first day I actually feel like I'm walking right side up.

I'm so grateful to all the Forum folks who made it to the show and rocked out during the sets. Redball, Miz, Bowski, Frezz, Spike, Cakes, Eric, Tyler, and too many others to name. It really felt like a down home family event- spontaneous and open to where ever the moment took us.

I got to watch some of Shane's set from the top deck but listened mostly from my spot on door duty. It was fun, interactive, and there was a tangible and constant energetic sense of dialog between Shane and the audience the whole time- which is something he really seems to establish at every live show I've ever seen him do. It's no small feat and my hat is off to him.

Unfortunately, I was also on door duty for most of Prolyphic's set but I definitely spied what I could from the gap in the ceiling and came fully down for the last 2 or 3 songs; got to scream along to the Ugly Truth. He was sounding aggressive and clear and was the only artist of the night who really took it to the floor and got right up in people's faces. Felt good and dirty. Fans of Pro's gritty underground approach definitely got what they came for.

The PFA set felt great! We were all so pumped to see folks dance and yell along. It was the type of set we hope to share with SFR folks around the country as soon as possible. We'll definitely be doing some diy shows in the Northeast and Midwest over the spring/summer.

B. Dolan's set was phenomenal and I soaked up every second like a true fan boy. After watching Open Letter to Justin Timberlake live, anybody there (who hadn't seem him previously) will now understand how completely dominating and masterful B. can be. It was flawless. So well executed that it was like call and response, without there being any call and response dynamic called for or estabished; he just set up the lines then knocked'em down, and all 200 people responded to every fucking line. Fantastic mix of performance art and emceeing, and I can't wait to see more. MORE MORE MORE... I WANT MORE... GIMME MORE!!! (I'm on the nuts and I don't care who knows.)

After B.'s set we raffled off two Inkymole "Dollface" prints and auctioned an Inkymole "If These Walls Could Talk" Sage wallpaper print. Additional thanks to those who took part in the raffle, and Congratulations to both Raffle winners and the Auction winner! It was awesome of you to support and we really appreciate it. *Big shouts to Shane Hall for his showmanship as our official benefit Auctioneer and for those interested, I'll be making a post very shortly regarding the on-line auction of the final two "If These Walls Could Talk" Sage wall paper prints donated to the cause by Sarah "Inkymole" Coleman.

Out of all the Sage Francis shows I've seen (and i've got to be pretty high in the running on the 'seen the most Sage shows ever' list) this set may have taken the cake for the show with the most unreleased, unfinished, totally brand new Sage material presented ever. After organizing the show, arriving 4 hours before the event even started in order to set up, overseeing any last minute details, and even taking goddamned door duty shifts, the old warrior hit the stage and worked his magic once again. Busting brand spanking new and first time ever performed verses, songs, and a cappellas left and right. I passed my door duty off and stared on in enjoyment, wonder, pride, and gratitude for the entire set. High points for me were hearing Conspiracy to Riot performed live, every single blazing a cappella done, and the crazy energy that was present there between B. and Sage right before the last song. I feel like they could have just talked like that for hours and it would've stayed entertaining and fun to watch. House of B.'s, Sun.

I couldn't have asked for better. Thanks Again, especially to Mr. Francis and the whole SFR Family for having my back through this whole fight- and to everyone who came out, contributed at CTR.com, raffled, auctioned, tried to come out for the show but in the in the end couldn't make it, or who was otherwise there with us in spirit.

I am an emptied flask.

~Jared.

*PS- More photos of the show are up at MySpace.com/StrangeFamousRecords.com, MySpace.com/PrayersForAtheists.com, and the full RNC story is still available at www.ConspiracyToRiot.com (and will continue to be updated as we proceed to through our legal options for redress and continue telling the story of all events that have transpired since that then.)

Last edited by Jared Paul on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:42 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
the mean
Certified O.G.

Was there a "scruffy beard" requirement for dudes to get in the door?
Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:01 pm
Storm Davis

I, too, would like to chime in with my thanks to everyone who helped the night run supernaturally smooth.

It was good to see some of you again, and good to meet others that I hadn't encountered before. And it was moderately enjoyable to be photographed thrusting my pelvis at Prolyphic.
Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:29 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

Storm Davis wrote:
I, too, would like to chime in with my thanks to everyone who helped the night run supernaturally smooth.

It was good to see some of you again, and good to meet others that I hadn't encountered before. And it was moderately enjoyable to be photographed thrusting my pelvis at Prolyphic.

only MODERATELY enjoyable for someone who "fucks like a puma"?
Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:33 pm
Storm Davis

zagadka wrote:
Storm Davis wrote:

only MODERATELY enjoyable for someone who "fucks like a puma"?

When the bar has been set at such an absurdly ferocious level, simple pelvis thrusting just doesn't achieve what it used to.

:)
Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:55 pm
Jared Paul

BIG STORM!

HOLDING SHIT DOWN LIKE AN ANCHOR. On many, levels- and I ain't just talkin' bout the sassy model pose in the wine glass neither... RNNNGGGGGNNRRRHGHGHH!!
Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:54 pm
bowski

The show was a blast; the ride back, on the other hand, sucked. Route 6 West and 395 South can suck it...

Negativity aside, this was one of the better shows I've been to simply due to its relative forced proximity and surprising professionalism. Meaning, I thought we would be dealing with crackling speakers, longer than average breaks between performances, and anything else that could go wrong when putting on an event.

The drive down was absolute hell because of the rain and dark which enveloped my eastbound Subaru. Typically, when going to a Sage show, my sister comes along; fortunately she got out of crew practice at Trinity early enough for her to tag along and make me drive both ways. I had never been to Pawtucket, though, being from New England I knew of its reputation. Ellie and I pulled in around 8:20ish, parked in the parking garage (which is located right next to the store).

I won't go into the whole show, but I have an honorable mention.

Prolyphic, holy cow, leaps and bounds brotha. My first encounter with Prolyphic had to be at the small sort of prep concert @ AS220 for the Human the Death Dance tour. His stage presence back then was weak sauce, quiet, unimpressive; while at the same time, the content was absolutely there. Pro def stepped up his game, finally showing us why he is on this record label. Heavier inflection, hand gestures, smart selection of material, and crowd involvement. Well fucking done sir. The full crowd emersion was a dope touch, I felt like I was in cipher.

I guess that epitomizes the entire show. The relaxed nature of it all, the hip-hop formalities checked at the door primarily because you knew that the people attending this event we're not all interested in the gas face and the perpetual doper-than-thou agenda. Knowing that we were there for entertainment as well as purpose. Knowing that we New Englanders have this secret in Rhode Island, that we, because of the regions size, can indulge in this treasure. Hell I do not know Jared, but I've met him like 3 times, heard his story, communicated through this forum with he and the rest of ya'll. And that was enough to travel 5 hours to hang out for 4.

Peace,

Bowski
Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:32 pm
mzehe916

How'd the raffle go? Looking forward to the auction and posters!
Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:53 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

The raffle went really well. A lot of people entering the show were willing to throw down $3 per ticket which definitely added up. The auction was cool but it caught me by surprise because I forgot it was going to happen before I hit the stage. I don't think the wallpaper got the price it deserved so whoever won that jammy made off like a bandit.

Bowski's post reminded me of something. It was astounding how accurate the performers were with their stage time. Without anyone having to tell them to get on stage or off stage. Anyone who has experience throwing shows knows that this is typically a huge problem. Artists not hitting the stage on time and then trying to stay on past the time that they should. But man...every performer was on and off without any prompting. This may seem like a small thing to most people but this was part of the Grant miracle we experienced last Friday. haha. Thank you guys.
Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:04 pm
The Mean Eagle

This looks like it was really great. Also the new place looks amazing! No more of those terrible stairs in that apartment! awesome. I'm wishing I was closer to you all often.
Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:31 am
smake

Sounds like a great evening, congrats! Any setlists though?
Post Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:13 am
Jared Paul

Sage Francis wrote:
The raffle went really well. A lot of people entering the show were willing to throw down $3 per ticket which definitely added up. The auction was cool but it caught me by surprise because I forgot it was going to happen before I hit the stage. I don't think the wallpaper got the price it deserved so whoever won that jammy made off like a bandit.

Bowski's post reminded me of something. It was astounding how accurate the performers were with their stage time. Without anyone having to tell them to get on stage or off stage. Anyone who has experience throwing shows knows that this is typically a huge problem. Artists not hitting the stage on time and then trying to stay on past the time that they should. But man...every performer was on and off without any prompting. This may seem like a small thing to most people but this was part of the Grant miracle we experienced last Friday. haha. Thank you guys.

It was all laid out pretty clearly; ain't nobody in our bunch tryin' to fuck'up the program, and then have to face the music behind the wood shed with General Francis after the show, or anytime for that matter. hahahahahah

Bowski, FAA RILL man, thank you so much for taking the time to make the drive out. You and Sis held it down in the front row with so much energy for most or all of the night. Trust me, it's highly, highly appreciated by everyone who kicked it. And i feel ya on the route 6 battles; i've had my share. So dark, so narrow, soooo fucking windy. Doesn't even feel like RI.

Thank you also for the kind words in your post. We feel like we've got something special here in R.I. as well, and if folks are down to keep coming out and holding it down like that, then we'll make more events happen.
Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:35 am

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next