Search
Register
B. Dolan & Jared Paul TOUR (6 dates added in April!)
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

Bob Harris

Critical! I better see you there homey.

Friday at McKibbin is going to be bananas. So excited.

Some more info on the show:

Since this is a loft party, technically it is all-ages. Don't be bringing your 11 year old sister though. Rappers be swearing.

It is also BYOB. The only "B" McKibbin is serving on Friday is Dolan. Hiyo!
Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:32 pm
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

I am so excited for that shit now. Tell your man that he doesn't have to bring his ID this time, I got it covered.
Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:02 pm
Bob Harris

I will speak for Critical here, since we were both at the first night of this tour -- heads need to get ready.

Jared and B. both brought the ruckus tonight. It was emotional, and funny, and just a wonderful experience. I would talk more about it, but I feel like the way they work their set is really interesting, and I don't want to spoil it for anyone.
Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:46 pm
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

word to big bird. Not that it is a surprise to anyone, but the set was something else, man. My friends who had never seen anything like that were impressed beyond belief. The lady friend turned to me in the middle of one of B's performances, wide eyed and affected, and said "he's intense". Got damn right.
Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:46 am
poisonfree

awesome, Gonna try to make the 4/4 Reno Show, but I am definitely gonna be at both the San Jose and Santa Cruz shows, They are actually on my nights off!

woooooooooooooo
Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:51 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

Weiser House (2nd Floor)- I've never heard of this venue!

Rock and/or roll guys! I don't think I have to work this night so I would like to say herrow and eat foods/ has drinks.
Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:55 pm
Stony

Damn. Chicago finally added and I have to work. One of these days I WILL see you Dolan.
Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:49 pm
Jared Paul

MessiahCarey wrote:
Oh shit.

I may try and make that show on Saturday in Albany if I can find a place to crash out that way.

Big Shane! if you make it out to Albany, we got you for a place to stay, and probably dinner too. Lemme know!

(my phone's dead till tonight/email works)

Critical and Bob Harris thanks so much for coming out!
(Bob... Bob Harris? lip here prease... lip here, LIP HERE!
LIP
MY
STOCKING!!)

Stony, you got two weeks to get that off for the Chi show... we know you can do it. And if you can't, we expect you to send your vegan stunt double.

The venue is an artist collective warehouse show... this tour is a total mixed bag; big college shows, small college shows, sxsw, nice awesome big shows francis and b have hooked up, warehouses, lofts, basements, living rooms, art galleries, poetry slams, community action spaces... any which way but loose.

NYC STAND UP!! TONIGHT'S SHOW AIN'T EVEN POETRY: IT'S PFA AND B. DOLAN FULL MUSIC SET... WITH METERMAIDS!!
Post Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:26 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bob Harris

Friday night at McKibbin was, in fact, bananas. It was hot, sweaty, crowded madness.

PFA and B. Dolan both absolutely tore it down. PFA got a Brooklyn-hipster-crowd to mosh, which is not far from a miracle. And Dolan tore it the fuck down. He opened with his verse on the Paid Dues song and it gave me goose-bumps.

A really impressive showing from both artists. An outer borough loft party crowd (especially an oddly young one) is a tough animal to wrangle. But SFR handled it's business like old pro's. They got mad street cred in Bushwick now.

Critical -- it was great to see you again yo.

The show was fire. So much so that someone let off a fire extinguisher in the hallway at the end of the night. That was a bad joke. Seriously, though, fire extinguisher tastes like shit.
Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:00 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Sean,
I heard Metermaids threw down hard. Sorry I couldn't make it out. But the grapevine was saying you guys rocked the party and got the crowd moving. Always good to hear!
Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:24 am
Bob Harris

I told B. if we can't rock a party hard in our own city we might as well pack it in. Ha.

I forgot to shout out all the other Brooklyn cats that rocked too and made the party possible (as well as artists people should check for) -- BrokeMC, Domer and Kats, and Rosetta Stoned.

Pretty amazing night all around.
Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:45 am
Coffee Black

Alright So I'm Coffee Black/ Todd from Albany, NY . this is my first post. i've been a dirty lurker for around two years now. Saying I'm from Albany is actually a dirty lie as I'm from Poughkeepsie, NY but hey...this is where I reside now. Also I'm eating Amish style pretzels, whatever they are. They are good, I'll have you know. Anyway, Went to see Prayers For Atheists and B. Dolan last night.

Walked in and recognized it as one of the enlarged hallway type venues I've seen many a show at. that was fine. I know it was a last minute deal and I'm quite fine with those. it was one of the most laid back shows I've been to. the ad on the PFA blog said it was a $5 but no one seemed to understand the words "admission" or "cost" when i entered so i chucked a fiver into a butter cookie can type donation deal on the SFR table and went my merry way.

Lets go in reverse order of the artists that performed.B. Dolan was first and PFA second etc etc. confusion is a must, apparently?

The last two guys weren't horrible. Schenectady artists from what I could gather from self promo. They weren't the best and there was some sort of Shannon Hoon praise that confused me ( I had been awake for around 30 hours and was never a big Blind Melon fan anyway) but I rolled with it because local acts do what they can and i try not to be a critic. Another guy called Bryan Green, I think, performed and his raps weren't bad but the beats seemed to be heavily influenced by sounds heard in The Life Aquatic soundtrack.

Prayers For Atheists were something to fucking see. I'm not normally an animate fellow so when Jared yelled at us to dance and such I did my best by tapping along and bobbing my head and what not. The only punk acts I've seen this year were them last night and Bad Brains back in November and I can honestly say I had more fun watching PFA last night than the last few BB shows i went to, all while standing next to a strange disembodied baby doll face bit of art ( anyone else see that?)The energy and fun they had was fucking contagious and I'm glad i didn't miss it. Made my night. I told my crappy roommate about it all till he started to ignore me and went to his room. Ace. Hope to see you guys again soon

B. Dolan. watching B. was fucking fantastic. I only caught him for the first time live on the tour with Dan vs Pip w/ Metermaids in NYC back in September and that was a great show. I missed my train that night and bitched for a few hours but stilll chalked it up to a good time haha. Anyway, moving on. B. dolan was awesome. i was looking forward to a musical set and a glimpse into the fall release but the suddenness of the show and the lack of a PA prevented that so I lamented for a short bit but dealt with it. He delivered beyond. Seeing B. Dolan do "Still Electric" five feet from ones face is an experience I wish everyone can have. the letter to justin timberlake was was awesome/hilarious as all hell.

Much praise to all.

todd in Albany
Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:46 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Coffee Black wrote:
the ad on the PFA blog said it was a $5 but no one seemed to understand the words "admission" or "cost" when i entered so i chucked a fiver into a butter cookie can type donation deal on the SFR table and went my merry way.

AHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

That helps explain something a lot of us were wondering about in terms of money that was available at the end of the night. Haha. Thanks for the review!
Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:59 pm
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

Sage Francis wrote:
Coffee Black wrote:
the ad on the PFA blog said it was a $5 but no one seemed to understand the words "admission" or "cost" when i entered so i chucked a fiver into a butter cookie can type donation deal on the SFR table and went my merry way.

AHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

That helps explain something a lot of us were wondering about in terms of money that was available at the end of the night. Haha. Thanks for the review!

Similar thing happened Friday night at McKibbens. Nobody collected when we showed up, but I introduced myself to BrokeMC several hours later and tossed him ten at the door, as he was frantically trying to collect late in the game. ha. I hope admission was collected properly as it was a hell of a show and a packed, sweaty crowd, with some deserving hard working artists at the wheel.
Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:08 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Jared and Dolan are on a 24 hour drive right now, so they're not seeing this just yet. I don't want to speak for them. I will speak for myself though.

That shit is frustrating as fuck.
Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:25 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next