Search
Register
MSNBC today (1/17) - Barack Obama's plans for Civil Service
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

futuristxen

happy_ wrote:

i KNOW there will be a large group of people behind me, real people, behind me.

Slow down there Spartacus
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:49 pm
Embryo

hahahah.

you know what i meant.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:59 pm
redball

Happy_, have you addressed the fact that there is nothing mandatory about his proposal? It will be mandatory that you perform public service to get money for college. So, if you don't want that money then you don't have to do the service and you can apply for other financial aid. Have a scholarship? No need for the public service. Independently wealthy? No public service. Got loans instead? Yep, no public service. Not going to college? You get the idea. (We all hope.)

So, let's recap: The public service isn't mandatory and he's been talking about it for two fucking years (plus it was a major talking point of his campaign). Address this and prove it wrong or shut up.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:18 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

icarus502 wrote:
the mean wrote:
Happy_, you are possibly the worst poster on this board. That is quite a feat, but you managed to grab that title in a matter of mere months.

Has it even been months? I never noticed happy_ until a few weeks ago. And it's been consistent shit since then.

ETA: Joined 29 Dec 2008. That's remarkable! I vote ban.

You guys are so late to the party.

http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=749534#749534

On topic:

redball wrote:
So, let's recap: The public service isn't mandatory and he's been talking about it for two fucking years (plus it was a major talking point of his campaign). Address this and prove it wrong or shut up.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:23 pm
breakfast

happy_ wrote:

Hey you don't want your children working at GreenCorps or Homeland Security Corps snitching out potential "terrorists" and "eco-criminals." Well tough luck, your children are REQUIRED to by the state, and hey, if you believe that freedom actually exists to protest and live freely, and take your kids out of public school, guess what, if you dont have BIG BUCKS, the state is taking your kids away.

Real talk.

Look, it's cool that you've read 1984 and all but maybe it's time you start applying a little more than part of the highschool English curriculum to your political outlook.

Real talk.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:36 pm
happy_
crappy_

Whatever man, just insult me... whatever i say is just another crack in my armor to almost all of you guys in the never ending battle to be "right."

And as for the person who said it wasn't mandatory, read www.barackobama.com service section. He says "required" for all college students.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:47 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

I like how you put "right" in quotation marks, implying that the concept isn't valid.

Just kidding. I actually think it was dumb.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:59 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

People who are belligerent in their ignorance are the worst type of people.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:35 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

It's a sure sign of a troll.
Just wanted to throw that out there once more so that happy_ can decide his own fate as to whether he continues to post here or not.

The shit is entertaining for a while, but when you keep it up it actually stifles (otherwise) interesting debates.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:37 pm
xGasPricesx

I'm beginning to think that happy_ is Eltron playing what would be a pretty impressive prank on the forum. I mean not long after Eltron takes his leave this happy character shows up and starts trolling on a level that's too perfect it's barely even believable, yet still believable enough. Or maybe happy_ really does exist and he actually is that stubborn.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:43 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Eltron is still around.

Happy_ is a character named Derek from the sole forum. He was banned there before he returned under another name.

I just wish he'd stop being such a persistent twit.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:46 pm
futuristxen

Sage Francis wrote:
Eltron is still around.

Did he get unbanned?
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:51 pm
redball

Quote:

Require 100 Hours of Service in College: Obama and Biden will establish a new American Opportunity Tax Credit that is worth $4,000 a year in exchange for 100 hours of public service a year.

That can be misread as a requirement of all college students, especially when taken out of context. Though, in context, I would say that it is pretty clear that the requirement is for the tax credit.

But... let's do research and prove this once and for all. I looked at the plan, linked from that very page (that I linked to you earlier in the thread). It has the expanded text of this requirement.

Quote:

Require 100 Hours of Service in College: Barack Obama and Joe Biden will make college affordable for all
Americans by creating a new American Opportunity Tax Credit. This fully refundable credit will ensure that the
first $4,000 of a college education is completely free for most Americans, and will cover two-thirds the cost of
tuition at the average public college or university. Recipients of this credit will be required to conduct 100 hours
of public service a year, either during the school year or over the summer months.

Emphasis mine. The details of the plan specifically state that the 100 hours of community service are required for the tax credit. Thus, you may opt out of the tax credit and the community service. This means it is not mandatory in any other context than to obtain a tax credit.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:53 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

futuristxen wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:
Eltron is still around.

Did he get unbanned?

Yeah, he is unbanned.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:09 pm
neveragainlikesheep

4k for 100 hours a year? fucking hell. thats awesome.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next