Search
Register
MSNBC today (1/17) - Barack Obama's plans for Civil Service
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

happy_
crappy_

MSNBC today (1/17) - Barack Obama's plans for Civil Service  Reply with quote  

Hmm.. well, i say this a bit as a follow up to this post here, where i described a little bit why i see Obama in such a fashion.

http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45831

Anyway, i was watching MSNBC innauguration coverage from about 4-6 pm EST and the talking points of the commentators were specifically about Massive public Civil Service and the possible implementation of this by Obama once he takes office using the popular clout he has aquired during his running.

They kept repeating that American's, who in the recent past were so unwilling to make sacrifices, must now sacrifice for the greater good of the nation, presumably through public works and other civil service programs.

They were discussing how Obama wants to use Martin Luther King Jr. Day and turn it into a national service day, rather than a "vacation."

I specifically remember a lady commentator asking how Obama was going to incorporate the 56 million (actually 60+) people who did not vote for Obama, into this Citizen's Work program.

I really wish i had a TiVo to record this and gladly dice up the clips for you but oh well...

Was anyone else watching the MSNBC coverage in Baltimore?

Wow... truly incredible.

http://www.pic2009.org/blog/entry/answering_the_call_to_service_through_text_messaging/ <--- lol

http://usaservice.org/content/home/

http://usaservice.org/pages/about

usaservice.org wrote:
In 1994, Congress transformed the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday into a national day of community service to further commemorate a man who lived his life in service to others. As a tribute to that legacy and the very real needs of our nation, the President-elect and Vice President-elect have launched a national organizing effort on the eve of their Inauguration to engage Americans in service. This national day of service will fall on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, January 19, 2009 and, unlike past calls to service, President-elect Obama is calling on all Americans to do more than just offer a single day of service to their cities, towns and neighborhoods. He is asking all of us to make an ongoing commitment to our communities. Never has it been more important to come together in shared purpose to tackle the common challenges we face.

http://usaservice.org/pages/faq

usaservice.org wrote:
Q: Will there be opportunities to volunteer after MLK Day?

A: Yes, stay tuned. The goal is for MLK Day to reignite the American tradition of service and volunteerism and to that end the current call to action is viewed as a starting point. Details on how to stay active in the future will be coming soon.

Wow... are we going to go along with this, and more importantly, what it entails in the future?

I gotta ask, are these mandatory service days what you had in mind when you voted for Barack Obama?

Last edited by happy_ on Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:25 pm
sneeeeb
COCKRING WRAITH

People still don't realize how fucked we are at the moment, eh? You'll do worse than civil service once the dollar is worth shit and your food comes to you at the end of a long line.
Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:54 pm
Lusid
http://youtube.com/watch?v=skCV2L0c6K0

Hmm, how about a 'mandatory work for free to pay off the debt and save this country day'?
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:03 am
futuristxen

I think this is kind of a no-brainer at this point. Our country is so fucked up now, that the only way we're getting out of this quagmire is if we grab some shovels and start digging. You can thank your buddies on wall street for collectively fucking us all in the ass for our forseeable future.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:07 am
happy_
crappy_

Well, at least we can take solace in knowing that although this matter was never discussed or even mentioned during the elections or debates, our Benevolent Leader has made this very important decision for us.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:13 am
futuristxen

What are you talking about? Obama talked about it all of the time. Do you not remember the 9/11 speech he gave about civil service? I think he also mentioned it in the debate with Rick Warren. It's long been an important platform for him.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:18 am
Lusid
http://youtube.com/watch?v=skCV2L0c6K0

I don't think digging gardens for your community is equal to digging our way out of debt.

Semi-related - I think you'd kill babies if Obama asked you to, fut, no questioned asked.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:27 am
futuristxen

Lusid wrote:
I don't think digging gardens for your community is equal to digging our way out of debt.

Semi-related - I think you'd kill babies if Obama asked you to, fut, no questioned asked.

I don't need Obama's permission to kill babies Lusid. Have to feed the Iguana pit in my basement some how. Jibb Jibb loves toddlers.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:34 am
happy_
crappy_

futuristxen wrote:
What are you talking about? Obama talked about it all of the time.

No. That is a bold faced lie.

You have mentioned two instances (one of which you arent even sure of). He did NOT talk about it "all the time." I would be very impressed and surprised if you could find but 10, wait... no, maybe even just 5 different instances where Obama talks about civil service before the actual election.

In honesty, i knew very little about this issue until he appointed Rahm Emmanuel and learned of his long standing manuevering for "mandatory civil service" and a "civilian national security force."

It comes right out of his book called "The Plan," for crying out loud... -.-

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>

Last edited by happy_ on Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:34 am
sneeeeb
COCKRING WRAITH

The most entitled generation in history will not tolerate having to do stuff!
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:40 am
ruffiano

they made a big deal about this in July when he made an Independence day speech. This was a secret just because you missed it? The blogs erupted after this speech (and this was NOT the first mention). Use the google and find out for yourself.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:47 am
sneeeeb
COCKRING WRAITH

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:50 am
futuristxen

There was even a big huge thread on it on this very forum.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:11 am
happy_
crappy_

Well futuristxen, not everyone is as savvy as you or ruffiano, and i can tell you that the vast, vast majority of people who voted for Obama did not have this in mind.

That said i think it is even more depressing to know that there were people like you who actually voted for him, meanwhile knowing that he wants to create a "civilian national defence force".

That just seems so really, really insane i cannot really even put it into words.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:08 am
sneeeeb
COCKRING WRAITH

Let's get this happy_ guy
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:13 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next