Search
Register
The new Soccer Thread!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

mancabbage

just shows how far barca are in front of the pack. Utd are definitely the 2nd best team in europe right now... and barca can do that to them. so good
Post Sat May 28, 2011 9:55 pm
Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Agreed... That was an incredible match. Manchester United is one of my favorite clubs and one of the best out there but Barcelona is clearly taken the number one spot...
Post Sat May 28, 2011 10:15 pm
futuristxen

I feel bad for Sir Alex, because I thought in the second half his team quit on him. Both goals were the result of lazy defense playing off too much. Evra was getting destroyed by pretty much everyone who wanted to come down that left side.

If we'd had a Roy Keane type destroyer in the midfield, it would have helped things a lot. Unfortunately there's not a lot of that type of player left in world football. Hopefully Tunnicliffe or Pogba can grow into that role.

I was just glad that for once in their lives Barca decided to play football and not that utter shit they played against Real Madrid where they were rolling around on the ground looking for cards. Though I suppose it shows their lack of fear to our squad that they didn't feel like they needed us down to 10 men again.

Shitty way to end what was otherwise an amazing year for United. We got 19 finally, which is an incredible achievement. Sad to see Van De Sar go. And maybe Scholes. Neville too. The fledglings are all getting old and retiring. It's sad because I pretty much grew up with those guys on American TV. And now they are all old. Though Ryan Giggs will never die it seems. At about 40 he had his hand in pretty much every key moment for us this year.

I suppose the good thing about this year is that no one can really say anything, because all of the top teams got beat by either us or Barcelona. No one out there can feel like they were somehow unlucky to make the final or more deserving to be in that final(except perhaps Madrid, who were jobbed in that first game).

Hopefully this loss makes us stronger. For me and my family, United is the only club that really matters.
Post Sun May 29, 2011 1:12 am
name

futuristxen wrote:

I was just glad that for once in their lives Barca decided to play football and not that utter shit they played against Real Madrid

Really? "For once in their lives"?

This is a British football meme parroted by a number of anglo football ethnocentrists i play with week in and week out. maybe after yesterday they'll keep quiet.

nah.
Post Sun May 29, 2011 6:39 am
futuristxen

Did you watch the semi-final? It was the most disgraceful football(from both sides really) I've seen since...well Spain/Netherlands in the world cup.

So much cheating and diving and corruption gong on in that first leg--it was embarrassing. They had that game on FX and I had to actually explain to family members for whom that was their first exposure to champions league football, that "it's not normally like this".

It's weird, you never really see Americans or players from the UK diving and rolling around in hysterics to the degree you see anyone from Italy, Portugal, Spain, or Argentina do it.

It's never really super bothered me, but it's annoying when teams as good as Barca and Spain do it, because they really don't need to.
Post Sun May 29, 2011 7:18 am
Brynjar

Well in the Barce team it's really just Mascherano, Busquets and Pedro. The entire Real Madrid team are a bunch of cry babies
Post Sun May 29, 2011 9:20 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Brynjar wrote:
Well in the Barce team it's really just Mascherano, Busquets and Pedro. The entire Real Madrid team are a bunch of cry babies

Even as a Barça fan for 10+ years, I found Busquets insufferable before the racism thing. Great player, but unlikeable.
Post Sun May 29, 2011 10:13 am
futuristxen

I like how Mascherano dedicated the win to Liverpool. Argentines seem to have strange interpretations on loyalty.
Post Sun May 29, 2011 2:30 pm
mancabbage

haha well just saw this from a liverpool supporter on my fb

"Man United fans put up a banner of '19 times' to commemorate how many times they touched the fucking ball last night."
Post Sun May 29, 2011 3:01 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

mancabbage wrote:

"Man United fans put up a banner of '19 times' to commemorate how many times they touched the fucking ball last night."

Zing!
Post Sun May 29, 2011 3:17 pm
futuristxen

19 more times than Liverpool is going to touch a ball in Europe next year.
Post Sun May 29, 2011 3:36 pm
name

icarus502 wrote:
mancabbage wrote:

Zing!

yeah but didn't you hear that playing possession and completing 1000 passes a game is now just considered boring? i mean, kick and run is where it's at baby.

James Corrigan at the Independent with some sage reflections for the future of english football:

"For decades, our football scouts have been informing short, slight lads that they are simply not big enough to make it. Now the reply will be: "Well, what about Messi?" He's 5ft 7in when he stands on his tiptoes, which happens to be every time he is on the ball. But the grizzled figure in the trench coat will not listen. He'll shrug his shoulders just like he did when told that Maradona was 5ft 5in, Pele was 5ft 7in and that even Sir Bobby of the Charlton's extraction was 5ft 8in. The scout is given a tick-list and on it height and weight are underlined. Britain wants its players big. Never mind all that "Boys of '66" malarkey, it's the "Boys of 6ft 6" who genuinely excite in the attritional academies of the hurly, burly, breakneck Premier League.

No offence to Michael Carrick, a decent enough player, but if he was 5ft 6in instead of 6ft 2in, do you think the scout, and then his managers thereafter, might have taken rather more notice of the limitations in his passing, his shooting, his tackling? Of course they would. Carrick would have been overlooked and Xavi would been forced to retreat to the Wembley concourse to find another statue to run around. Furthermore, Steven Gerrard (6ft) and Frank Lampard (6ft 1in), so long those great white-shirted hopes of the England midfield, would have been lost in the system.

But then, look at it another way. How many gifted young talents have been sent off packing to sell dodgy endowments purely because they didn't satisfy this or that physical ratio? How many gifted young talents would, if they knew what they could have become, bemoan being English, Scottish or Welsh?

Would Messi have been fast-tracked through the British pyramids, like he was first in Argentina and then in Spain, so that at the age of 23 he could be hailed alongside the game's most legendary of legends? Or would the macho, moronic mutterings so favoured by Andy Gray – "let's see how he would cope on a rainy night in Stoke" – actually hold some sway in arriving at a mind-boggling assessment? Take a look around the options available to Fabio Capello for the match against Switzerland on Saturday and you decide.

Yes, the Premier League is "the biggest", but that doesn't begin to establish it as "the best" and certainly not "the greatest". Those tiny Catalan giants should have confirmed that once and for all."[img][/img][img][/img]
Post Mon May 30, 2011 7:47 am
name

less than 24 hours after my last post... we get this from rooney:

Asked if Messi could dictate games in the England as he does in Spain, Rooney told talkSPORT: "If you bring Xavi and Iniesta with him, yes. But it would be difficult, almost impossible for him to play as he does in Spain.

"The game is more physical here, going to the likes of Birmingham and Stoke away is very demanding. Cristiano Ronaldo is more suited to the English game than Messi. Cristiano is taller and good in the air."

perfect.
Post Tue May 31, 2011 7:43 am
smake

I was rooting for Manchester. Wanted Van der Sar to finish his career with a Champions League win. What a class act he is.

But Manchester couldn't touch Barcelona. I agree that sometimes they whine too much, but they are the best. And against Real Madrid they deservedly won. And yes, they dived too much, but what Real did was far worse: their anti-football and horrific tackles were the real disgrace.

A lot of comments here about Barcelona, but they play the most attractive football there is.

And the world cup final between Spain and The Netherlands was a thriller. Stop complaining. Both teams didn't play the game they normally do (yes, The Netherlands were lost the most), but in the end, it's about the cup.
Post Tue May 31, 2011 8:23 am
futuristxen

For my money the most attractive football I've seen of late is played by the German National Team at the world cup. I love that swashbuckling/counter attacking rapier style of play. Fast, athletic, skilled and not fussing about.

I mean the whole Barca strategy is to bore you to death on defense. I don't know how that's supposed to be exciting to watch, unless you are rooting for them.

As for Messi in the premier league--Rooney is spot on. Remember when Ronaldo was in the premier league? Playing against real defenses? He was getting crunched in tackles every week. In La Liga the game is much slower and less physical. It's probably the least physical league of the top leagues. I just don't see how Messi would last playing say a team like Stoke.

As for this load of crap:

Quote:

"For decades, our football scouts have been informing short, slight lads that they are simply not big enough to make it. Now the reply will be: "Well, what about Messi?" He's 5ft 7in when he stands on his tiptoes, which happens to be every time he is on the ball. But the grizzled figure in the trench coat will not listen. He'll shrug his shoulders just like he did when told that Maradona was 5ft 5in, Pele was 5ft 7in and that even Sir Bobby of the Charlton's extraction was 5ft 8in. The scout is given a tick-list and on it height and weight are underlined. Britain wants its players big. Never mind all that "Boys of '66" malarkey, it's the "Boys of 6ft 6" who genuinely excite in the attritional academies of the hurly, burly, breakneck Premier League.

No offence to Michael Carrick, a decent enough player, but if he was 5ft 6in instead of 6ft 2in, do you think the scout, and then his managers thereafter, might have taken rather more notice of the limitations in his passing, his shooting, his tackling? Of course they would. Carrick would have been overlooked and Xavi would been forced to retreat to the Wembley concourse to find another statue to run around. Furthermore, Steven Gerrard (6ft) and Frank Lampard (6ft 1in), so long those great white-shirted hopes of the England midfield, would have been lost in the system.

But then, look at it another way. How many gifted young talents have been sent off packing to sell dodgy endowments purely because they didn't satisfy this or that physical ratio? How many gifted young talents would, if they knew what they could have become, bemoan being English, Scottish or Welsh?

Would Messi have been fast-tracked through the British pyramids, like he was first in Argentina and then in Spain, so that at the age of 23 he could be hailed alongside the game's most legendary of legends? Or would the macho, moronic mutterings so favoured by Andy Gray – "let's see how he would cope on a rainy night in Stoke" – actually hold some sway in arriving at a mind-boggling assessment? Take a look around the options available to Fabio Capello for the match against Switzerland on Saturday and you decide.

Yes, the Premier League is "the biggest", but that doesn't begin to establish it as "the best" and certainly not "the greatest". Those tiny Catalan giants should have confirmed that once and for all."

Typical reactionary bullshit. You'd think we'd never have beaten this Barca team before in Champions league.

And as for the height thing, how tall is Paul Scholes? Oh he's 5ft 7. And he's what? Been the english center piece of the most successfull english club ever? You don't say!!!

And as for taking a poke at Michael Carrick--it just shows how ill informed Corrigan is. Carrick has been off form for about two years now for us, and has been converted into a defensive midfield position(that would have been played by Hargreaves all of these years!), and he does a good job at it. But when we got him from Tottenham his strength WAS his passing and forward movement. The first few years he used to sit back in the midfield and ping passes around. So I think as a youngster he was bound to attract attention regardless.

And what about Charlie Adam? He's found a way to make it despite his size?

Oh and why don't you google some guy named Ryan Giggs if you think the UK doesn't produce astonishing skill players.

And what of Tiny Jack Wilshere? How did he get a chance in England being all of a massive 5 ft 7?

It's so stupid. You take the result of a one off game played on a neutral field and run with it to sell copy. The truth is so much more mundane. The truth is Barca has a large chunk of what has turned out to be a very special generation of Spanish players, and that they'll have their run just like all other such teams and nations in time before. Some times the Germans produce the best footballers. Sometimes the Italians. sometimes the Brazillians. Sometimes the french. Right now it's Spain.

And to be honest, where was this article last year when Inter Milan won? Or when Bayern beat United?
Post Tue May 31, 2011 12:54 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61, 62  Next