Search
Register
The new Soccer Thread!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

mancabbage

beckham will do the last ten mins and sell a shit load of shirts. he should stay there if he knows whats good for him,

tottenham are having such a facepalm of a season its unbelievable, gona be a shit load of depressed motherfuckers around here should they go down
Post Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:54 am
futuristxen

I hate tottenham. Every single year they buy a bunch of talent, and you think they're going to be dangerous, and then they nosedive. EVERY year.

I think they are cursed.

I do like that they are like the unofficial Manchester United farm team now though. They develop talent nicely for United.
Post Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:27 am
Jonthekingdon

mancabbage wrote:
beckham will do the last ten mins and sell a shit load of shirts. he should stay there if he knows whats good for him,

He sells a shit ton over here too. no matter where beckham plays he brings people.

The Count wrote:
I agree, the revs are a good team and it's a shame that they're fanbase is so small. I'm a DC fan myself and always enjoy meeting another MLS fan.

they really are. lately they have being fucking it up with lineup changes and injuries. the fire are going to be a difficult first round playoff game.
Post Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:28 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
coma emilio

Well i did say Celtic would get rolled over by Man Utd... i expect the same to happen in a fortnight.

Curses!!!

As for Tottenham, Ramos must only be a couple of games away from the sack now. It's getting quite farcical.
Post Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:24 am
Oh Daesu

Spurs fans' misery makes me smile.
Post Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:48 pm
The Count

Donovan to Bayern? Wouldn't that be weird.

http://overthere.american-soccer-news.com/?p=73

Would rather he go to spain, cause I don't really see him starting in Munich and spain would fit him much better. No language barrier and a much more technical league. But if you've got an in with Klinsmann and get offered a spot with one of the biggest clubs in the world, you take it. He could be first off the bench once poldoski leaves.

Though this could all be irrelevant if LA's management play hardball like they've been insinuating they will.
Post Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:32 am
patiodee

As one of three US National team fans in the country, this pisses me off. Giuseppe Rossi, born and raised in the US, chooses to play for Italy. We could finally have a top rate striker who plays at a high level in Europe, except we don't. This kid is legit and scored another goal for Villarreal today.

For the record, I hate the way the US National Team plays. No creativity anywhere on the field. Lots of long ball. Good fitness, absolutely no skill. Yeah, that style works in CONCACAF, but when you're playing with the big boys you need to be able to do the whole dribble and passing thing. Would it kill them to hire a coach from South America?!?!? And the youth programs are geared toward winning instead of skill development. Everyone is overcoached, nobody can develop any sort of creativity. Not only that, it seems like size and strength are valued more than anything. We'll never encourage someone with a build like Aguero, even though it's obvious smaller players can have a gigantic impact. I think we need more streetball, like with basketball. Say what you will about US basketball players, we have guys who can handle. Kids can experiment more and just have fun. Seems to work for Brazil and Argentina.

Athletically, we're as good as anyone. Skillwise, we suck. I don't see any Leo Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo or even Joe Cole coming from here any time soon.

At least we have Jozy Altidore. I think he could be good. Donovan in Europe? I would love to see him do well, but homey has a hard time stepping up to the big stage.

Don't forget the Deuce.
Post Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:22 pm
futuristxen

Ha. It's a good choice by Rossi. He probably has a better chance to play on the Italian national team than the US one, given that the US coaches are terrible at recognizing young talent, let alone playing it. They'd rather play the guys with "experience" who don't have any heart, and have fallen the hell off(Demarcus Beasley).

As bad as Adu supposedly is, everytime I see him play with our youth players he looks like a world beater. He would seem to be a true creative midfielder, but he rarely gets much run. And when he does, if it's for the adult team, they frown on any kind of show of skill.

I don't think American sports culture is conducive to entertaining soccer. Which is completely goofy.
Post Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:35 pm
chaim

Didn't Rossi go over to Parma's academy at like 14? Didn't he play at every junior level for Italy since u/16s? Let's face it the US never recognised his talent because they had no hand in developing it.

Adu from what my Portugese friends have told me has been a flop at Benfica (resulting in his loan move to Monaco) and from what I've seen of himself myself, which isn't much I'll admit, he hasn't impressed me at all.

You guys should watch out that Neven Subotic doesn't get poached by Bosnia instead of dwelling on what could have been with Rossi.
Post Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:24 am
mancabbage

redknapp looks like a genius now, poor old ramos
Post Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:54 am
doubleplusgood

I hate all the bullshit rhetoric that goes with it, about "The Redknapp Effect", or the "fact" that foreign managers just can't cut it in the Premiership.

Comolli in particular has spent the last year systematically destroying a top-6 team. The way they treated Martin Jol was disgraceful (hopefully Hamburg and Spurs'll meet in Europe somewhere along the line and teach them a lesson), and the sale of Defoe, Berbatov and Keane (leaving Darren fucking Bent) made no sense.

Most of all though, I'm sick of seeing 'arry's decrepit face on Wii adverts every 5 minutes
Post Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:13 am
mancabbage

haha yeah getting rid of jol was madness
Post Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:47 am
The Count

patiodee, you're a bigsoccer regular arn't you?

Rossi wants to play for italy because he feels italian. That's not too surprising for a second gen immigrant. International soccer should be about pride and passion. If you're not playing for the country that you identify with, then what's the point? I would have loved him to play for us, but would rather have players who consider themselves fully american. Same goes for subotic, if he wants to wear the US then I would love (and I mean really, really love) to have him play on our backline. But if he feels a stronger pull toward the country of his parents then that's fine. No hard feelings here.

Yea, the US system isn't good but we're in the process of overhauling it and we've got quite a bit of potential in the pipeline right now. Bob Bradley isn't nearly as bad as people criticize him for being. We are cruising through qualifying and playing top competition in friendlies. This upcoming game has a couple really interesting younger prospects on the roster and should be a good chance for them to show off.

I hate the idea of foreign coaches in international soccer. What the fuck is the point? Why not just hire foreign players too?
Post Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:27 am
Windom

The Count wrote:

I hate the idea of foreign coaches in international soccer. What the fuck is the point? Why not just hire foreign players too?

The point is to win football matches - look at Steve McClaren. You can't use foreign players because they aren't domestic players. There aren't rules against using foreign coaches - what is so difficult to get?
Post Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:20 am
mancabbage

aye, fuck all wrong with foreign coaches/trainers.
Post Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:27 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 60, 61, 62  Next