Search
Register
interview with Jockey Slut Magazine in the UK 9/24/03
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

interview with Jockey Slut Magazine in the UK 9/24/03  Reply with quote  

Which MCs have inspired you coming up/inspire you right now?

"These kind of questions make me feel dirty. I'd like to say that first and foremost before I list my 'influences.' Coming up, Rakim, KRS, Ice T, LL Cool J, Melle Mel, Too Short, Slick Rick, and almost every single person who was rhyming between 1976 and 1994. Currently, my inner circle pushes me."

Was it a conscious thing to not have any guest MCs on the album?

"It was a circumstance. I didn't want anyone on an album they had nothing to do with for the past 5 years. Had this album come out 4 or 5 years ago I guarentee there would have been mutliple guest spots, but Joe and I are the only ones who kept up steam through the years. So this is our cake. And we are going to eat this cake. You fuckin like that?"

How did you both hook-up?

"This stupid 'Singles Dating Line' telephone service we were both working at to pay our way through college. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a lonely person in general, which is what probably drew me to that job in the first place, but when I met him I could see the same desperation in his eyes. When I say desperation, I mean...hunger. Hungry eyes. Anyway, we made beautiful music together."

Is there anyone you reckon you couldn't beat in a battle?

"No."

You wrote the 'Makeshift Patriot' rhymes in response to the US media's reaction to 9/11; do you think hip hop has lost its political edge thanks to the prevalence of Lexxus/bling/gun rhymes?

"Absolutely. But it's not just hiphop that has lost its edge. It is all facets of counter culture. We think we are better off being bombarded by technology and multi-media, when in reality it has turned us apathetic and soft. There is no urgency. We lose."

Do you think we're entering a golden age for underground hip hop?

"Not at all. The golden age is long gone. We are, however, entering a very special period of transition. It is about to take some interesting turns. Finally."

Favourite rhyme of all time, by anyone?

"It's All About the Pentiums" by Weird Al is actually a classic hiphop song that will never be recognized as such.
Post Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:34 am
The Ill Testimony

How did you both hook-up?  Reply with quote  

How did you both hook-up? Answer He sells cock on I-94.
Post Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:21 pm

mortalthoughts
LAME KID

Quote:

"This stupid 'Singles Dating Line' telephone service we were both working at to pay our way through college. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a lonely person in general, which is what probably drew me to that job in the first place, but when I met him I could see the same desperation in his eyes. When I say desperation, I mean...hunger. Hungry eyes. Anyway, we made beautiful music together."

FEED JOEY BEATS!
Post Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:38 pm

Jump to: