tom inhaler
me too!

pictures of sage and jared paul from january 18th  Reply with quote  

caught in the act.. of protesting.

inhaler/thecat
www.inhalerproductions.com
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:48 pm
amo1ne

I don't get the point of standing out in the cold with those signs? Bush will never see them, nor will he care. He's gonna go to war regardless of what a bunch of frozen people with signs in their hands think. Can somebody please explain the whole protesting movement? I'm not being a smartass, I just don't get why people bother...
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:53 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

i wasnt there but...

are elected officals are a representation of the people.... i dont think they really have a choice but to listen...at the least take note of all the people that went
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:54 pm
Embryo

word  Reply with quote  

I was there. That's great to see that Sage was.

The point is this: when 500,000 people show up somewhere to make a statement, people have to listen. When the media takes pictures of signs and prints them, it makes other people think. As more people start to realize that there are other options than taking what is spoonfed to them, more will start to realize that what's spoonfed to them is a nice load of Gerber Shit and Carrots, or maybe Oil and Blood. These protests are part of a larger shift in public sentiment that we want to occur - a neccessary part. The fact that this anti-war movement has broken the media barrier and is getting its word spread FINALLY (even if they are vastly misrepresenting the numbers that turn out) is wholly crucial.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:59 pm
Dee

I heard there's another one in Feb (in NYC, maybe?) I'm interested in going, so if anyone has any info (and by that I mean date, locale) gimme the loot. And by loot I mean info.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:07 pm
argot

amo1one are you telling people to stand down and not support what they believe in... an act of no violence on the less??

shut up

We represent this country... and people who do this kind of activism are showing that they still give a shit.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:17 pm
td3

Sage, can i have that sign?

that shit is hilarious... fucking bag taped to it and everything

haha

td3
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:19 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DM

....  Reply with quote  

amo1ne wrote:
Bush will never see them, nor will he care.I don't get the point of standing out in the cold with those signs? He's gonna go to war regardless of what a bunch of frozen people with signs in their hands think. Can somebody please explain the whole protesting movement? I'm not being a smartass, I just don't get why people bother...

...dude, you missed the whole point. It's apathy and indifference among people like yourself, which frighten me. It's not the sign. It's not whether Bush actually sees the protestors. It making a fucking statement. It is true that we'll probably go to war anyways, but in the end, at least the world knows that Bush doesn't represent all of America, and that there is a public with the brains and the motivation, to not let themselves be led blindly by our trigger happy govt.

"I don't get the point of standing out in the cold with those signs?"

Cmon now. What did you do today?

abacus
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:24 pm
sliquid

People bother because it is important. It is our right as U.S. citizens to stand up to our government an let them know we don't like what they are doing in our name. We bother because it is a positive movement in which people will take notice. No one will care if a few people don't want a war, but when a couple of hundred thousand people show up to protest, it really shows our government that we, the people, don't want this to happen. If our leaders don't hear us, then we will scream louder till they do.

It shows the world that we aren't all stupid, warmongering Americans. It shows the world that we are separate from our government in politics and morality. It shows the world that we really do give shit about other things that just ourselves.

The protest in NYC is on the 15th of Feb.
Click here to learn more
http://www.internationalanswer.org/campaigns/f15/index.html
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:27 pm
MessiahCarey

argot wrote:
amo1one are you telling people to stand down and not support what they believe in... an act of no violence on the less??

shut up

We represent this country... and people who do this kind of activism are showing that they still give a shit.

Nah. He's not saying any of those things, as far as I can tell...

I think he doesn't understand how protesting can end a war.

See: Vietnam

Basically it works like this:

Get a half a million people in one place.

Yell.

People will have no choice but to listen...eventually.

I should have gone. I had made prior engagements before finding out about the event, then they all got cancelled last minute - I should have fucking gone. You would have seen me next to those two with a sign that said "Bush, Dick and Colin are body parts not leaders" Heh.

Peace,
Shane
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:29 pm
td3

MessiahCarey wrote:
You would have seen me next to those two with a sign that said "Bush, Dick and Colin are body parts not leaders" Heh.

Peace,
Shane

hahah

creative bastard... im bringing you in for show-and-tell

td3
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:41 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sliquid

One kid had a sign that said, Bush + Dick = Fucked.

It was funny as hell. They showed it on C-span.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:50 pm
Dee

Doesn't Talib Kweli make some sort of joke like that on his new album?
I donno, I'm not a huge fan...but still, funny shit.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:59 pm
amo1ne

argot wrote:

no i respect that people are expressing what they believe in, im just wondering whether the statement is lost when it all goes unnoticed. anyways, messiah broke it down and i agree, i just wanted to hear it from the people that are out there protesting. btw, abacus.. i wanst being apatheitc, im all for self expression and taking stands - i just saw the picture and figured sage and a couple of his buddies drew up some signs and stepped out onto the corner to make a political statement to passing cars. sorry, i've never been to an organised protest - other than that french/english provincial seperation shit a few years back so im not farmiliar with this and i was curious. peace.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:50 pm
Awww mn

amo1ne wrote:

no i respect that people are expressing what they believe in, im just wondering whether the statement is lost when it all goes unnoticed.
dude. it wasn't unnoticed because it was the primetime top news story that day and the day after, made the front page of almost every major newspaper.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:07 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next