Search
Register
Favorite Beer
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Captiv8

Bottle, can, or glass?

I prefer my beer in a bottle because there's something really nostalgic and summertimey about that, even though I know pouring the beverage into a glass releases more flavor and is more generally agree upon as the classy way to drink. I have some nice glasses too: a Reiler Weissbeir pint glass from Germany, a Orval snifter-type glass, and a standard Leffe glass. I'm not enough of a connoisseur to care, but apparently the type of glass also affects flavor. Who knew there was so much nuance to suds?
Post Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:22 pm
selfworth

like i've posted before i'm not much of a drinker but my wife's mother told her that a lady never drinks out of a bottle or can, which my wife never drinks anything from a can, but she will do a bottle or glass. if i do drink a beer it's in a small sampler type glass because that is about all i can take of any beer.
Post Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:41 pm
phataccino

Ninkasi's ReNEWale (or however they capitalize it) winter seasonal is one of the best standard porters I've had in a while, and I'm generally a porter drinker.

Also, based largely on the recommendation in this thread, I tried the banana bread beer today. It was fucking disgusting. That said, every time I had seen it in the past I thought "who would want a banana bread beer? That sounds horrible." I thought that again when it was mentioned in this thread, but decided to try it anyway. It tastes like banana bread beer. If that sounds good to you, you will probably like it.
Post Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:58 pm
selfworth

hahaha, that post made me laugh, and i'm still kinda giggling about it as i type.
Post Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:17 am
phataccino

Speaking of fruit (and other) flavored beers, this is the grand champion:
Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:00 pm
AirTreesWaterAnimals

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:28 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

How is espresso stout legal but 4Loko isn't?
Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:19 am
Captiv8

Beer and any sort of coffee do not mix. I've tried a number of varieties and the taste is varying degrees of awful. No thanks.
Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:37 am
tommi teardrop

I hate flavored beers. A lot of micro-brews get the gasface from me because it tastes like they are trying to infuse fruity flavors into their beers. I want a beer to taste like a beer. I don't want a strawberry blond or a chocolate beer or any of that bullshit. That being said, the Rogue Hazelnut brown is pretty decent for what it is.

I don't really get down with the super boozey 8 to 12% beers either. That shit starts tasting like wine at some point.

I'm a pilsner fan at heart, but I've been drinking a lot of ales lately just because the fuck me up.

Has anyone made the bad decision to drink a six pack of Carlsberg Imported Elephant? That shit will knock your dick in the dirt. I guess that shit is just a strong lager, but holy shit.

Oh and by the way, Guinness black lager is shit. As is Newcastle werewolf.

This thread makes me want to stock the fridge. I think Belhaven will be bought tonight.
Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:48 am
AirTreesWaterAnimals

T-Wrex wrote:

It's subtle. It's not about caffeine and it's really not about making a "coffee" beer. The flavor definitely comes through but (at least with the Oakshire) it's not like you're drinking a cup of coffee.

This is another of my favorite stouts-

Tried this the other night and was impressed. It has some really nice citrus-y notes.

This has been my go-to IPA lately. I picked up a case at Costco and couldn't be happier.
Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:57 pm
adic

I'm a firm believer of the "don't fruit the beer" philosophy. Not even with a Corona...
Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:02 pm
AirTreesWaterAnimals

tommi teardrop wrote:
I hate flavored beers. A lot of micro-brews get the gasface from me because it tastes like they are trying to infuse fruity flavors into their beers. I want a beer to taste like a beer. I don't want a strawberry blond or a chocolate beer or any of that bullshit. That being said, the Rogue Hazelnut brown is pretty decent for what it is.

I don't really get down with the super boozey 8 to 12% beers either. That shit starts tasting like wine at some point.

I'm generally not a fan of flavored beers either but I've tried a few I like.

My wife loves this one. I'm not a huge fan but it's pretty refreshing in the summer.

I guess if you get into a lot of the ciders and it's not much of a jump to flavored beers.

When I worked at World Market people raved about this one. I was not impressed.
Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:07 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

AirTreesWaterAnimals wrote:
T-Wrex wrote:

It's subtle. It's not about caffeine and it's really not about making a "coffee" beer. The flavor definitely comes through but (at least with the Oakshire) it's not like you're drinking a cup of coffee.

Fucking Big Brother shit....
Caffeine and alcohol is caffeine and alcohol.
Where is Noam Chomsky to tell us that the 4Loko law is class warfare?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/17/alcohol.caffeine.drinks/index.html?hpt=T2
Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:46 pm
AirTreesWaterAnimals

Caffeine and beer
Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:11 pm
Scottie

AirTreesWaterAnimals wrote:
Caffeine and beer

The article mentions one of my favorite "coffee" beers. There is nothing subtle about this beer 11.2% abv, deep rich chocolate and toffee notes right at the forefront, followed by a mellow roasted dark coffee flavor on the finish. Excellent desert beer.

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:32 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21, 22, 23  Next