Search
Register
Ask Your Lawmaker
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

tom inhaler
me too!

Ask Your Lawmaker  Reply with quote  

My favorite non-Knowmore project from the Netsquared Conference...

http://askyourlawmaker.org/

you can type in a question, vote for others questions, and they actually send reporters out to capitol hill to get answers. then, they post the audio of the response to their site. they also make sure to research the topics, so if they feel the senator/congressman/etc doesn't answer the question thoroughly, they ask follow ups. so in love with them.

they are based in DC and also have a daily public radio news show with nearly 2 million listeners (!!). i met the founder/exec director at the conference, they are doing so many great things.
Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:04 pm
Dyss

Wow, that is amazing. I wished they had somehing like that here. Great idea!
Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:09 pm
tom inhaler
me too!

bump
Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:53 am
equal eyes

Re: Ask Your Lawmaker  Reply with quote  

tom inhaler wrote:
My favorite non-Knowmore project from the Netsquared Conference...

http://askyourlawmaker.org/

you can type in a question, vote for others questions, and they actually send reporters out to capitol hill to get answers. then, they post the audio of the response to their site. they also make sure to research the topics, so if they feel the senator/congressman/etc doesn't answer the question thoroughly, they ask follow ups. so in love with them.

they are based in DC and also have a daily public radio news show with nearly 2 million listeners (!!). i met the founder/exec director at the conference, they are doing so many great things.

Great idea indeed! Thanks for the info, tom.
Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:52 am
redball

What was their proposal to Netsquared?

I always wanted to do something like this. Actually, what I've thought about doing is to create one of those petition sites, only to make one with meat to it. I want a petition site where you can sign petitions but you have the option of fully registering. Fully registering means that you send in proof of address, by mail, along with a copy of your signature. Then that proof of address would be scanned and databased (offline database) only to be used if challenged. Whoever is submitting the petition would be able to choose if only verified petitioners would be included or if all "signatures" would be. We'd also be able to print up a list of signatures and addresses if needed.

The point would be so that petitions could meet any and all legal requirements (which, ya know, I'd have to fully investigate) in order to force action. Right now online petitions mostly go to the round file because you can't verify where a voter lives.

The problem is that I don't have free time, money, or energy to do such a thing. So I don't. I like this idea better, because it requires a lot less energy from everyone involved.

Sorry, everything is always about me.
Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:09 am
tom inhaler
me too!

redball wrote:
What was their proposal to Netsquared?

I always wanted to do something like this. Actually, what I've thought about doing is to create one of those petition sites, only to make one with meat to it. I want a petition site where you can sign petitions but you have the option of fully registering. Fully registering means that you send in proof of address, by mail, along with a copy of your signature. Then that proof of address would be scanned and databased (offline database) only to be used if challenged. Whoever is submitting the petition would be able to choose if only verified petitioners would be included or if all "signatures" would be. We'd also be able to print up a list of signatures and addresses if needed.

The point would be so that petitions could meet any and all legal requirements (which, ya know, I'd have to fully investigate) in order to force action. Right now online petitions mostly go to the round file because you can't verify where a voter lives.

The problem is that I don't have free time, money, or energy to do such a thing. So I don't. I like this idea better, because it requires a lot less energy from everyone involved.

Sorry, everything is always about me.

huh.. maybe you should look into the point.. http://www.thepoint.com

not exactly what you're talking about, but i think it's a good platform. i also just did an interview with them for their blog, i'll post it up shortly.

but yeah, i love "ask your lawmaker". i think their project at the conference was just to expand the functionality of ask your lawmaker, to fund development. similar to what we were proposing for the firefox extension
Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:16 am
Jared Paul

NICE!!
Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:50 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Jump to: