Search
Register
My ten-minute The Ugly Truth review
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Dyss

futuristxen wrote:
I would feel more excited about this if I hadn't seen Prolyphic perform these songs like a billion times by now. Half of the album is dead to me already.

Wow, finally something good comes out from living in Sweden and not being able to attend good concerts,
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:29 pm
futuristxen

Dysslecktick wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
I would feel more excited about this if I hadn't seen Prolyphic perform these songs like a billion times by now. Half of the album is dead to me already.

Wow, finally something good comes out from living in Sweden and not being able to attend good concerts,

Well don't get to excited. Bernard was performing at most of those shows and MessiahCarey and Sage some others. So don't get the wrong idea. You did miss out :)
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:32 pm
Dyss

Damnit.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:35 pm
prolyphic81

"I would feel more excited about this if I hadn't seen Prolyphic perform these songs like a billion times by now. Half of the album is dead to me already."

All I can say is that there are 15 songs on the album and I have performed maybe 6 of them live. Check out the snippets of the other 9 songs on Amazon.com. Don't disregard already, give it a chance.

Icarus,

Thanks for doing a review.
Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:13 am
My Friend Shalem

what does the "ten-minute" review title mean? i don't get it. The review was more about your relationship with prolyphic and robust than the album.
Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:21 am
Dyss

My Friend Shalem wrote:
what does the "ten-minute" review title mean? i don't get it. The review was more about your relationship with prolyphic and robust than the album.

I second that. But I dont understand how people can review reviews? If I write a review I write down my train of thought. Sometimes its about the songs on the album, sometimes about the album as a whole or sometimes about feelings I get when I listen to the album. As long as I can read if he thinks the album is good or bad I am happy.

Someone should put out a fanzine with fans reviewing other fans or critics reviews, because it seems like a popular topic.
Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:28 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

I gave myself ten minutes to write it. I didn't check it for spelling or anything. I just wanted to get across that I liked it, that I was surprised how much I liked it, etc.
I thought the parts about Prolyphic and Robust provided a needed context of putting this work next to Prolyphic's last major release that I heard. Part of the joy of this album for me was the revelation that Prolyphic has something to say and a way of saying that outpaces most rappers generally and, particularly, young Prolyphic.
Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:33 am
My Friend Shalem

That makes sense now. Was there a particular reason for doing a "ten-minute" review?

Do you still do reviews for Rolling Stone?
Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:54 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Well, I'm in the middle of a Very Important Project but I needed a break and decided to put ten minutes into a review of the Reanimator and Prolyphic album that I've been listening to on my downtime lately.

And, no, I'm too busy to write in the popular press anymore.

What's good with you? I heard you were married or were getting married? Congratulations!
Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:23 am
AdamBomb

prolyphic81 wrote:

All I can say is that there are 15 songs on the album and I have performed maybe 6 of them live. Check out the snippets of the other 9 songs on Amazon.com. Don't disregard already, give it a chance.

I was already excited to hear this, but after sampling the tracks off of Amazon its going to feel like a long wait till May. I hear a lot more passion/urgency in your rhymes than in previous releases which is a nice addition. Can't wait to hear the whole songs in full quality. Reanimator def brought the heat, too.

I'd like to see more emcees come out with albums where the tracks are all made by the same producer.
Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:45 am
My Friend Shalem

i am getting married this june. thanks. and i have a new song i produced just came out on tuesday. grip grand - 96 tears (it's up on itunes, or for free at www.lookrecords.com)... and today is my birthday. howler!
Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:41 pm
breakfast

icarus502 wrote:
I write under the pen name "Greil Marcus."

Har.
On a serious note, what are you studying again?
Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:45 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

prolyphic81 wrote:
"I would feel more excited about this if I hadn't seen Prolyphic perform these songs like a billion times by now. Half of the album is dead to me already."

All I can say is that there are 15 songs on the album and I have performed maybe 6 of them live.

I was going to say the same thing. I'm pretty sure 4 songs have been performed with frequency. The only time a couple other songs have been performed is within the past month.

We will be providing a good sample mix of the entire album very soon.
Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:00 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

breakfast wrote:
icarus502 wrote:

Har.

I'm kinda weird about saying so on here but if you'll email me or instant message me, I'll tell you all about it.
Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:24 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

icarus502 wrote:
breakfast wrote:
icarus502 wrote:

Har.

I'm kinda weird about saying so on here but if you'll email me or instant message me, I'll tell you all about it.

Ooh me too?
Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:26 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next