Search
Register
"Ugly Truth" and "Failure" Review Thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

It's so weird that the back says 99 Bottles but it says Broken Bottles everywhere else. The song is actually called Broken Bottles. This is just one of those very odd mistakes that none of us caught until right now.

Thank you for the review of the album. I'd love to hear what other people are thinking. I've been listening to a bulk of this album for 3 years now and I still enjoy listening to it.
Post Sat May 03, 2008 10:35 am
b. dolan
FBI agent

breakreep wrote:
Shit I didn't get a Dolan sticker either. I don't even remember ever reading that.

STICKER!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

people who made their pre-order early on got a t-shirt, and then we ran out of the shirts ...

so people who ordered later got stickers!

if you got a t-shirt, you didn't get a sticker, and vice versa.
Post Sat May 03, 2008 3:08 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Re: "Ugly Truth" and "Failure" Review Th  Reply with quote  

Morbidly-O-Beats wrote:
tom inhaler wrote:

"The Ugly Truth" and "The Failure" are available for PRE-ORDER right now!

"The Ugly Truth" comes with a bonus instrumental disc, featuring all the beats (produced by Reanimator) from the album, and a Strange Famous Records sticker.

"The Failure" comes with a B. Dolan sticker and a Strange Famous Records sticker.

or you can pre-order both and save!

All pre-orders will ship to arrive before or on the release date of May 6th.

man i'm bummed i didnt get that B.Dolan sticker. I really digg the cover and wanted the sticker so bad. do u guys have any left? i will totally pay for shipping.

It's totally available on our site! haha.
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=335
Post Sat May 03, 2008 3:36 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

Ahaha ok. Silly stickers. I got a shirt!

BLAOW MOTHERFUCKERS!
Post Sat May 03, 2008 11:38 pm
mattrego

I SAID... IT'S... YOUR... WORLD BABY!
I have been listening to this non stop for the past few days in my earphones while doing landscaping on our property. To be honest I do not own anything by Prolyphic and only listened to snippets of his earlier work and a couple of songs he did with Storm Davis. But this album is phenomenal. I suck at writing reviews and getting specific and rather than give weak praise to every song, I will just say I think this cd is a masterpiece. I really do. I know what I hear even tho I can't express it in writing too well. And Reanimator is a beast. So many change ups and mood swings that fit perfectly. Unbelievable. Made the back breaking work in the South Florida sewer enjoyable. That's quite an accomplishment.

"Perceptions of how you see me up and changed quick when you see my association with Strange Famous."

So true with me, I'm not gonna lie. Much props.
Post Sun May 04, 2008 6:37 pm
Mr Jenkins

im easily impressed by double time
Post Sun May 04, 2008 7:17 pm
bbreakz

Mr Jenkins wrote:
im easily impressed by double time

We all are Mr. Jenkins. We all are.

I spent a lot of time with The Ugly Truth in my truck this weekend. And man when that guitar hits during Alias' lyrics on Survived Another Winter, i start throwing my hands in the air in my truck. I love it. This album is going to be one where i am finding new things everyday.
Post Sun May 04, 2008 9:12 pm
Dyss

Got the package just now! Got the tee and it looks fucking money! SFR never fails to impress! Gonna sit down now and give the CDs a good listen, best monday 2008.
Post Mon May 05, 2008 3:12 am
annan

Damn, I should've checked the mail earlier! Too bad I have to leave now. Can't wait to listen to these. :-)
Post Mon May 05, 2008 4:24 am
smake

The Ugly Truth scores an 8/10 at Popmatters today, congrats!

"Sage Francisís label takes another big step towards becoming an irrefutable indie hip-hop superpower with this inspired collaboration. Francis himself introduced top shelf Chicago beatsmith Reanimator to smooth Rhode Island lyricist Prolyphic some three years ago. Gradually, with Reanimator taking time to provided the finest instrumentals on Sageís own albums, The Ugly Truth took shape. The organic nature with which the album evolved is written all over it. The beats are glowing with live instrument samples and boom-bap drums, easily on par with the finest yet released by the man, while the words glide as if born to those sounds. Thematically, Prolyphic runs through feelings of Western alienation, severe political mismanagement, and the farcical wrath that gun totting 50 Cent and Ca caricatures have inflicted on rap, among other instances of inequality and poor social graces. Itís as if Dr. Dre remembered his roots and Eminem grew a human conscience. The world is now a slightly better place. "

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/music/shorttakes
Post Mon May 05, 2008 5:51 am
tom inhaler
me too!

cool! not sure how i feel about the eminem/dre thing, but still a good review!
Post Mon May 05, 2008 11:42 am
prolyphic81

"cool! not sure how i feel about the eminem/dre thing, but still a good review!"

hahhaha.

Actually, Reanimator said in the interview that Dr. Dre was the most influential producer to him when he started out.
Post Mon May 05, 2008 1:54 pm
subsketch

Another Strange Fame Christmas has arrived just on time!

There's nothing like a SF pre-order package to stomp 8 hours of soul numbing work down to nothing. Life is good
Post Tue May 06, 2008 2:09 am
ibuprofen

I've been loving The Ugly Truth. Great work Prolyphic and Reanimator. Thanks!
Post Tue May 06, 2008 7:16 am
FranktheP

I am only about 5 tracks into "The Failure" and I like what I hear so far. Its kind of dark to me so I need a good long night drive (which is coming soon) to give it the proper feel. But congrats on the release B. I really look forward to giving this a better listen.

"The Ugly Truth" has been fully listened to once and a half times and I am liking it. I only heard two or three tracks previously from Pro and I was not feeling his flow but it works very nicely with Reanimators beats. I still think he does not change his pitch up enough but that is not an insult just an opinion. But the beats on this album are incredible. Hopefully this is the vehicle that gets Reanimator a whole lot more love and work. Overall, I give it a B+ to an A-. This will definitely get more rotations in the near future.
Post Tue May 06, 2008 8:03 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next