Search
Register
Fuck you I won't do what you tell me! Results are in, p.4...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

jstile

Fuck you I won't do what you tell me! Results are in, p.4...  Reply with quote  

Oh this had better come off....

Quote:

Simon Cowell: Rage Against the Machine campaign is 'stupid'

At first, nobody believed an internet campaign could topple Simon Cowell's Christmas chart dominance. But now the X Factor mogul has waded in ... and he looks worried

It takes a lot to get Simon Cowell rattled, but rattled he appears to be. At a press conference today, Cowell acknowledged the Facebook campaign to get Rage Against the Machine's 1992 song, Killing in the Name, to Christmas No 1, saying it was "dismissive" of the public as it was directed at him.

"If there's a campaign, and I think the campaign's aimed directly at me, it's stupid. Me having a No 1 record at Christmas is not going to change my life particularly," Cowell said. "I think it's quite a cynical campaign geared at me that is actually going to spoil the party for these three."

The campaign was started by Tracy and Jon Morter, who launched the Facebook group "Rage Against the Machine for Christmas No 1" earlier this month with the words: "Fed up of Simon Cowell's latest karaoke act being Christmas No 1? Me too ... So who's up for a mass-purchase of the track 'KILLING IN THE NAME' from December 13th (DON'T BUY IT YET!) as a protest to the X Factor monotony?"

Jon Morter told NME.com: "It's been taken on by thousands in the group as a defiance to Cowell's 'music machine'. Some certainly see it as a direct response to him personally." So far, more than 500,000 people have joined.

Only time will tell whether Rage Against the Machine have a chance of beating this year's as yet undecided X Factor winner. Last year's No 1, Alexandra Burke's cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, sold 576,000 copies in its opening week, which means that every single member of the Facebook group backing Rage Against the Machine would need to purchase the song to ensure their chance of victory.

However, Leon Jackson, who won the competition in 2007, was able to clinch the coveted Christmas top spot after selling 275,000 copies of his single When You Believe in its opening week. That's almost exactly half the number of people who have promised to buy Killing in the Name on Sunday.

Last year a similar internet campaign saw fans trying to get Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah to No 1 instead of Burke's. Buckley's version made it to No 2, but Leonard Cohen's original, however, only made it to No 36.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/dec/10/simon-cowell-rage-against-machine

Last edited by jstile on Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:38 pm
SteveJB

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8413557.stm

Apparently going well at the moment.

Would be good if it does come off, we'll see what happens.
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:12 pm
Reggie

I couldn't tell you what the #1 singles were on Christmas ever
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:24 pm
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

so its irrelevant and has no real purpose,

i think its a fucking sweet idea. why not?
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:31 pm
mancabbage

CriticalTheory_Breakfast wrote:
so its irrelevant and has no real purpose,

i think its a fucking sweet idea. why not?

yeah man all this "OMFG BUT RAGE ARE ON SONY TOOOOOO" shit can suck my dick. this is funny, i like it. "Christmas number 1's" over here are a biig deal and nearly always a simon cowell produced piece of turd, or some fucking robson n gerome and mr blobby shite

its number one on the iTunes UK store at the moment, i bought it, its like 50p or something, thats less than some monster munch and a snickers these days.
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:50 pm
Basilisk

Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How.

I think we're missing the Why part. Why is this important? Why do people care? What significance does the Christmas #1 position hold?
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:56 pm
mancabbage

why the fuck does there have to be a why.. its just cool. Shits and giggles man, thats it..
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:58 pm
SteveJB

It matters because people decide it matters.

The Christmas No.1 spot is a really big thing in England.

All the music channels/radio stations etc do Christmas no.1 run downs in the run up to Christmas, it's a big talking point, the fact that there are articles about Rage potentially being no.1 on the front page of the bbc website says something about how big a thing it is.

For the last several years the X-factor talent show winner's song has been released in the week running up to the Christmas no.1, and it's always reached that spot, this is an attempt to stop that.

Plus if we continue to have Christmas No.1 countdowns in the future it will be nice to be able to have something different to all the other songs come on. A bit like when you get to whatever year it was that Madworld from Donnie Darko was Christmas no.1.

In short, English people are weird and this matters to us, if you don't get it/find it amusing then ignore it.
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:04 pm
Basilisk

Thanks, that's what should have been in the article
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:09 pm
jstile

It's an article from a British newspaper, don't be foolish.

I thought that you would have something similar in America, clearly not. Apologies for my lack of cultural sensitivity.
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:15 pm
Basilisk

No worries. It's just my opinion that the obvious should always be stated, especially in written news
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:18 pm
jstile

If you live in a country where everyone knows that the xmas number one is a big deal, it doesn't need stating. Do football articles state the rules of the game before referencing them? Your logic is all screwy. Xmas no.1 = big deal in UK. Not so much in USA. We both learnt something today. Let's hug it out.
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:24 pm
Basilisk

Oh man, I love nothing more than hugs

I'm just saying, this is the internet. The whole world reads the internet. I am not familiar with the cultures and traditions of the whole world, I need a little help now and then

Also, I would love someone to lay down the rules for football That game makes zero sense to me (that's american football, by the way. "Soccer" is nice and straightforward. not sure which you were going for)
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:33 pm
jstile

We're not allowed to say "soccer" in England unless it's in inverted commas. Otherwise Ian Wright comes to your house and bashes your head in with a brick. Also if you insult Shaun Wright-Phillips. Or the other one.
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:57 pm
Captiv8

I don't know how to embed when it's been disabled, but this seems appropriate. Maybe someone can hook it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_JRyhJiXQ8
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:10 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next