Search
Register
There Will Be Blood
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

AirTreesWaterAnimals

the contortionist wrote:

This really seems plausible to me on the whole Eli/Paul thing. Eli may have used the fact he had an identical twin who was out of town to his advantage and therefore impersonate him in that early scene when he lets Daniel Plainview know about the oil on the land.

Paul took the money he got for the information and bailed. Hence the dinner scene. He was 'out of town" because he abandoned his family.

The two characters weren't originally meant to be played by the same actor. The person meant to play Eli backed out and the actor who played Paul filled both roles.

None of these grand ideas about the roles of the twins were ever written into the script.
Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:27 pm
clouddead77

AirTreesWaterAnimals wrote:
the contortionist wrote:

This really seems plausible to me on the whole Eli/Paul thing. Eli may have used the fact he had an identical twin who was out of town to his advantage and therefore impersonate him in that early scene when he lets Daniel Plainview know about the oil on the land.

Paul took the money he got for the information and bailed. Hence the dinner scene. He was 'out of town" because he abandoned his family.

The two characters weren't originally meant to be played by the same actor. The person meant to play Eli backed out and the actor who played Paul filled both roles.

None of these grand ideas about the roles of the twins were ever written into the script.

If by backed out, you mean fired

And also. HW was definitely an orphan. He was the son of the oil worker that got killed near the beginning.
Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:02 pm
tommi teardrop

yeah I guess you are right about that. I guess I assumed that in that scene he was Daniel's son, and that someone else was watching him because Daniel was busy with the drilling.

So what if the final scene is the real Paul acting like Eli? Is that possible?

ATWA, whether this stuff was written into the script or if there was a different original actor makes no difference. Perhaps at the last moment, PTA decided that it would add a huge aspect to his movie to have the brothers' identities be ambiguous.

Even if PTA's intention is that they were separate people, the director's intent is not the authority when interpreting a film. If you think Shakespeare planned all of the wild interpretations that people come up with, then Shakespeare is the most meticulous human being that has ever lived.

Just because an artist has a particular vision does not mean that any viewers' interpretations are wrong. The fact that so many people are talking about Eli being Paul, makes it a valid interpretation. And I think the situation with Daniel having an imposter brother and the way that Paul ignores the initial questioning of his name, definitely opens the door to this line of thought.

Art would be very boring if the artist's intention was the only thing valid thematically. I think it would be foolish and detrimental for PTA to comment on this. Even if he did/has, I would ignore it.
Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:18 pm
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

I finally saw this. It was impressive, in parts. I have never been a fan of PTA. His style has always felt cheap to me and some of that was demonstrated in this film. He doesn't seem to understand how to use music effectively. So much overbearing scoring really detracts from the story and the cinematography, which was fantastic. the overly dramatic piano notes, the oil rig fire scene, he just doesn't seem to know when it is too much. The preacher brother business was confusing, but the dinner table scene with plainview wanting to buy the land for hunting made it clear in hindsight. Daniel Day Lewis is the greatest film actor of all time, next to, maybe, Charlie Chaplin, and further proved that in this film. I'm disappointed that Ciaran Hinds was underused as he was. He is a great actor and a terrific face. the best scene in the film was right before planview kills the preacher. he rolls the bowling ball into the water, it splashes onto the camera, and he stomps down the alley screaming I am the third revelation! I am the third revelation! I will eat you! I will eat you up! it was brilliant. completely brilliant.

I really liked the film, but it's not better than no country.
Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:34 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
the Baumer

DDL just put the children to bed tonight. won pretty much every major award possible for this movie.

good thing Javier Bardem was only a supporting actor, as that might have shaken things up.
Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:56 pm
selfportrait

i still think pta should have won for best director.
Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:53 pm
theprophet1986

selfportrait wrote:
i still think pta should have won for best director.

I agree
Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:48 am
futuristxen

I feel fine with the Coens winning it. They've been overlooked for a lot of great films, so it's good to see them finally recognized. I still need to see this movie though. Not a fan of PTA's really, but this looks quite good.
Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:38 pm
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

I downloaded the DVD Screener of this and still feel like I overpaid to see it. Very over-rated didn't like it much at all and would be happy never seeing it again. Everyone talks about Daniel Day-Lewis doing great..big whoop he plays a greedy oilman with a hint of an accent. Just because its a "period piece" doesn't make his performance any better than any other film in a modern setting. I agree with quip There will be boredom.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:53 pm
Stanley K.

I agree about Cirian Hinds, he is a great actor...

P Dawg, I couldn't disagree more. This is a great film and one of the few ones that really is under served by seeing a DL'd copy. There is a reason this film won best oscar for cinematography and watching it on your iphone with a dial up connection, radio shack rabbit ears dangling from your ass--- this film has escaped you totally.

There Will be No justice for this film from P Dawg.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:57 pm
Lants

i think most of you are smoking crack.

the movie was good. some scenes were pretty amazing (3rd revelation), but there was also a lot of needless and unentertaining confusion.

like the massive time lapse at the end and the unexplained extreme hatred between father and son - huh?? i know they were showing a decline into madness from the throat slitting threat incident, but i thought more story was needed to get to that last 20 mins.

and the fact that eli still looked about 12 years old in the last scene made it more comical than anything. he's such a babyface.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:50 pm
selfportrait

the oil tower blowing up was my fav scene from any movie last year.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:52 pm
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

Stanley K. wrote:
I agree about Cirian Hinds, he is a great actor...

P Dawg, I couldn't disagree more. This is a great film and one of the few ones that really is under served by seeing a DL'd copy. There is a reason this film won best oscar for cinematography and watching it on your iphone with a dial up connection, radio shack rabbit ears dangling from your ass--- this film has escaped you totally.

There Will be No justice for this film from P Dawg.

a DVD screener is a DVD that was sent out to the people voting for Oscars
so they can review the film at their house an U can find them certain places online
I didn't watch it on an IPhone chief I watched it on my 42" LCD 1080P Phillips with the Amblight turned on, Bitch

my thoughts on the movie are my Opinion and will not be swayed
Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:35 am
Eltron Hubbard
try-harderator

Your Opinion blows.

You suck tiger nuts everyday of the week.
Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:18 am
Eltron Hubbard
try-harderator

Lants wrote:
like the massive time lapse at the end and the unexplained extreme hatred between father and son - huh?? i know they were showing a decline into madness from the throat slitting threat incident, but i thought more story was needed to get to that last 20 mins.

and the fact that eli still looked about 12 years old in the last scene made it more comical than anything. he's such a babyface.

This is covered just about everywhere in the movie, especially in the talks with his "brother" and when he blasts dude in the head for lying to him. Plainview's character is all about an emptiness that he attempts to fill up in the only ways he knows- Accumulating wealth and power and shoring up the family lineage. He's got no understanding of how to be really happy through human interaction, and in those few cases where biology gives him an easy route to closeness, he's terrified of losing it, but he expresses it through wrath because he's a hard dude and also a sociopath in the unfettered way of many early capitalists.

The father and son have had a tense relationship for a long time you can tell that.
From the son's POV it was when he got abandoned by his dad for the more capable and less crippled brother dude.
Dad began to resent Jr. the moment he became a liability(deaf), and even more when he began to sense the son's underlying distaste (more than just resentment)for him after returning from the deaf kid school. Aww man there was tons more. I dont have time to write an essay. The psychological undercurrents of this movie were huge.
That's why I love seeing those still, vast images put against the music that sounds like it's going to burst open. This movie was Kubrikian in the best way. I kept thinking of the hotel in The Shining or the Monolith scenes from 2001.

The movie is really plain chaparral earth. Everything that went on just seeped from the ground of it.

As for eli looking young I figured Paul Thomas Anderson just knew that old person makeup always looks bogus and said fuck it you get the idea.
Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:45 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next