Search
Register
HTDD up for album of the year..
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Corey_AM

Voted for Sage for HipHop and El for album.

See Ali live to renew your faith. TUT isn't the next coming of PJ but it's still quality with a handful of AMAZING tracks.

I agree HTDD is somewhat slept on. I think it goes back to that mixtape deal. Every track is great but something about the flow stops me from just letting it play for the first half of the album. The second half, however, is pure genius. Like, uber-genius.
Post Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:52 pm
ibuprofen

voted. sincerely voted (wu tang wasn't on the ballot)

great record Sage. First album I've ever BOUGHT. honest.
Post Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:38 pm
Jesse

Corey_AM wrote:
TUT isn't the next coming of PJ but it's still quality with a handful of AMAZING tracks.
Is that an intentional comparison or an accident? I don't get it!
Post Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:30 pm
Corey_AM

Jesse wrote:
Corey_AM wrote:
TUT isn't the next coming of PJ but it's still quality with a handful of AMAZING tracks.

Earlier in the thread someone was saying how they were so let down by the undisputed truth. right? That's just my 2 cents. I know I can ramble or kinda talk in circles but thats pretty straight forward. Right?
Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:27 pm
headcase

love HTTD, but it took me til recently to really get into it. It has always been like that with all of Sage's official albums. As soon as i bought sick of waiting tables, i was instantly a Sage fan and he became my fav, but with the albums it takes a minute which i attribute to it's artistic value as opposed to some mainstream hits that just get shittier and shittier the more you hear them. all the music that i love i have to grow into liking it, but that's just my process as a fan.

on the thread note, i definitely think HTTD should be considered it is just as good as any album that has come out this year. AND THAT IS A BOLD STATEMENT.
Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:20 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

Jesse wrote:
just because The Undisputed Truth doesn't match the near-unbroken, dizzying heights of Shadows On The Sun doesn't make it a bad record. It just puts it back down here on the ground with records in general - most records aren't close to as good as Shadows On The Sun.

I just think having to buy three 12"s to get three different b-sides is wack. Put fuckin' different a-sides on them then - at least do two remixes! The album is a hell of a thing, though, I'm really suprised cats can front.

Man, remember how amazing 2003 was for rap? I'm officially nostalgic for four years ago. Wow.

See, I thought it was a bit better that Shadows myself. Yeah, some of the rawness maybe isn't there, I could see that. Maybe the somewhat rougher feel of Shadows on the Sun IS a bit closer to Ali's spirit as an artist. But at the same time there are some tracks on that album I don't care too much for. His delivery is smoother, whether that's an improvement or not, on Undisputed Truth. His voice has improved when I thought that wasn't possible. And the album has no wasted time, is brilliantly produced and segway-ed. I think that album may well be Ant's peak to date as a producer and it makes me excited for his future to listen to it. It showcases his ability to work with and compliment an artist instead of just handing a dude a beat like some people seem to. And I think maybe Ali has changed as a person too and that reflects in the album. If his music is as honest as it feels that is certainly true. Anyway, I've gotten away from topic here. I'll Sleep When You're Dead is also a fantastic album and I'm not even that crazy about El-P as an emcee. None Shall Pass is still working it's way through my head but I really like it. I play HTDD but I skip tracks regularly and there are some that I have a slight distaste for. It doesn't strike me as a great album. It has some standout brilliant pieces that I think are among Sage's best, but I think it's certainly the least excellent out of that group overall. Not to hate, it was an album I've enjoyed this year, but as far as my vote for album of the year it's not personally on my list.
Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:55 pm
Jesse

Corey_AM wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Corey_AM wrote:
Earlier in the thread someone was saying how they were so let down by the undisputed truth. right? That's just my 2 cents. I know I can ramble or kinda talk in circles but thats pretty straight forward. Right?
Oh yeah totally I get that part, it's just Personal Journals came out of nowhere as far as I could tell so I was wondering if THAT was supposed to be a different acronym.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:28 pm
Prontoid

al(phonic) wrote:

course, im talking mc tools, i dont even really hear beats and production when i listen to hip hop.

what a bizzare comment
Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:25 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Prontoid wrote:
al(phonic) wrote:

course, im talking mc tools, i dont even really hear beats and production when i listen to hip hop.

what a bizzare comment

for real though

listen to the beats you asshole!!!
Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:43 pm
Stuckey

Neuro wrote:

listen to the beats you asshole!!!

For some reason, when I read that I heard El-P's voice saying it in my mind.
Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:43 am
Corey_AM

Jesse wrote:
Corey_AM wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Corey_AM wrote:
Oh yeah totally I get that part, it's just Personal Journals came out of nowhere as far as I could tell so I was wondering if THAT was supposed to be a different acronym.

Ah. I view Personal Journals as a perfect album and assume most everyone else here at least likes it a lot so I used it.
Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:34 pm
Jared Paul

no rites... what songs do you skip?

just curious.

if i skipped songs on that album, i wouldn't be afraid to say it, but i don't. i don't even have the urge to skip them... i always get all suped at the beginning, then introspective and poetry-focused in the middle, and by the time the call me francois jam is on, i feel like i've gone on the whole death dance journey.
Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:39 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Scottie

Corey_AM wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Corey_AM wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Corey_AM wrote:

Ah. I view Personal Journals as a perfect album and assume most everyone else here at least likes it a lot so I used it.

Do not assume. PJ is my least favorite album from Sage including the entire sick of series.
Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:04 am
medicineman
HALFLING

Scottie wrote:

Do not assume. PJ is my least favorite album from Sage including the entire sick of series.

Wow. My mind is blown right now. I seriously gaped when I read that.
Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:05 pm
BR

medicineman wrote:
Scottie wrote:

Wow. My mind is blown right now. I seriously gaped when I read that.

that's absolute bullshit scottie. your opinion is absolute bullshit! =)

although the first three 'sick of' records are almost as good in my book.
Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:52 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next