Search
Register
last night was LA, tonight is San Francisco
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

Mr 9999
Judge and Jury

last night was LA, tonight is San Francisco  Reply with quote  

Despite the venue change, and complete lack of promotion outside of my myspace page, there was a sizable crowd at our Ivar Theater performance.

The atmosphere of this venue was not good. The sound was not good. The soundman didn't seem to really consider himself much of a soundman at all. But despite these conditions the crowd got more and more comfortable until there was an adequate amount of hooting and hollering by the end. I'm sure its strange for the crowd to be sitting the whole time, but I hope it didn't detract from their experience at all. It ended with them giving a standing ovation but maybe that's just because they couldn't wait to get out of their seats. Hahaa.

Bernard Dolan started the night off with three poems. He also appeared in the form of Evel Knevil and Bombzo the Clown during my set. It truly feels like the perfect combination. Bernard does nothing but add to the whole event and I'm elated to have a writer/performer of his calibur contributing to my shows.

My set consisted of stories, poems, acapella rap songs and miscellaneous banter. As I said earlier, the crowd seemed to loosen up and feel more comfortable as the show went on. Oh snap, how could I forget this part...

A couple days before the show a woman messaged me on myspace explaining that she was selling things on craigslist in order to get the money to attend the show. She volunteered her dancing/singing services if it meant she could get in for free. She metioned something about painting lyrics on her body. I said, "if you're serious about this I will have you on the guestlist and you should step to the stage during "Mermaids are Seasluts." That was all that was discussed.

When it came time to perform that poem I asked for some mood lighting and invited "Shavonne" to the stage. Had no idea if she was there or not. The lights went dim and I began the poem. About 8 lines in no one had stepped to the stage so I figured she was a no-show. No biggie...I continued on. And then a black woman with silver lyrics painted on her body danced like a ballerina down the aisle and onto the stage. It was really...strange. Creepy even? I couldn't think about it too much because I was mid-poem with a lot of "what the hell is happening" floating around in the back of my mind. I stood up and looked at her for the last few lines and did my best to bring it all together. I think it worked out somehow. The whole thing was either really creepy or really cute. Whatever the case I liked it a lot.

Tonight is the final performance of our West September tour and I have faith that San Francisco knows what the fuck is up.

See you at Slims!
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:38 pm
beliberated

hahahaaha, that makes so much more sense now that it's explained. her dancing/costume/body paint was kind of creepy, but it's cool she was willing to do all of that to get into your show. at first i think everyone thought it was part of the act but then we realized it was just too weird to have been rehearsed.
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:49 pm
Dream Inspired

hahaahahaa
didn't you say that these shows were being recorded for a video or dvd?
i would love to see the dancing girl sequence.
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:12 pm
2b
SHAKESPERIAN ACTOR

I'm going to try really hard to make it out there tonight, but with that, Serg's Hard as Fuck show, and a shitlist of other things I need to get done today, well, I might not make it.

I hope the show goes well.
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:20 pm
DM

I'm swamped at work and won't be able to attend. All the best though, I wish I could make it. I'm sure you'll slay 'em.
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:35 pm
vince.
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?

yeah, i won't be able to make it either due to a last minute meeting at work.
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:50 pm
diane

SUCKAZ.

frank, i will be there.

table for one, please.
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:15 pm
organize

Is there seating at slims? ive never been and am told that Its an open floor
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:20 pm
2b
SHAKESPERIAN ACTOR

diane, I want to see the pictures, that is, if I don't make it out.
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:20 pm
Mr 9999
Judge and Jury

Yes, there will be seeing.

Diane...I'm glad to have a fan on this forum!

Anyone who doesn't go...you aren't required to give your reasons why. I like these kind of threads better when they're fevoid of "I'm not going" replies.

Mr walkway lead ME to the building, fuck yewwww
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:32 pm
organize

Awesome... Im giving up opening game of the football season for this show. Peyton Manning aint got nothins on Yous and Bernard. Cant wait
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:46 pm
Stony

Mr 9999 wrote:
Anyone who doesn't go...you aren't required to give your reasons why. I like these kind of threads better when they're fevoid of "I'm not going" replies.

Mr walkway lead ME to the building, fuck yewwww

Give us some dates for a midwest tour and you'll get a "Fuck yes I'm going!" ;)
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:05 pm
Asterax

Any chance of east coast spoken word shows?
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:12 pm
Eireenah

Location: "I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out."

Mr 9999 wrote:
Diane...I'm glad to have a fan on this forum!

haha
ohhh this is not funny at all.

i'll drive 370 kilometers to see you in Wien, but that's the best part... first i have to go to local police station with my husband, where he has to lie to authorities that he's got to send me off to some seminar regarding his business urgently, so i could get my passport done within a week. Usually it takes a month. And that's because i forgot i have a new surname and my existing passport is not valid anymore. Then when i'm back from Wien i'll have to work 2 weekends to make up for the 2 days i'm not going to be working. make it two fans!

i whish you a great san fran gig full of crowd... on their feet
(so you can take them of their feet later on :)
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:19 pm
Mr 9999
Judge and Jury

Ah, I didn't really mean that. I was just pouting and kicking the dirt.
Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:27 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next