Search
Register
Rock the Bells San Bernadino, CA
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

albeeyap2

Rock the Bells San Bernadino, CA  Reply with quote  

Rock the Bells in San Bernardino this year was way different than the previous ones and all the hip hop shows that I've been to so what i will be explaining here are my highlights of the event. I got to the sold out Hyundai Pavilion around 11am and the parking price was $20. VIP parking was $30. Water is $4! Rock the Bells are taxing people left and right. i bet tickets weren't even sold out in the beginning they just took the last batch of tickets and started selling it for more in the parking lot. Most of the people that got there real early were wanting to see Jedi Mind since they were the first act.

The entrance line looked ridiculous from the parking lot and luckily, it was the general admission line. The vip tickets were good use for this venue because there was a separate vip line that helped me get in quicker. i was able to cut in front of the general admission line with no hassle. VIP had a separate room with cooling fans and it accommodated vip seating, "easy" access to orchestra section, and meet & greet artists. Attendance was probably more than 50,000. Bigger than Coachella's in my opinion. At least a quarter of the attendance got vip. The general admission tickets was horrible because a majority of them had to seat on the grass behind the vip seating or go into the orchestra area where they would have to stand in front of the stage. Either or, they had the worst view in the venue and i wouldn't say that having to watch the screen is a good view. Supernat started the show. i wasn't there but i could hear him aloud while i was walking the two mile parking lot towards the steep hill entrance.

Once i entered i got all my amenities and walked towards the main stage. Vinnie Paz was rippin the stage. Too bad all his general admission fans had to still be waiting in line. Short set, but i was able to watch him perform his main classics. After Jedi performed they did a meet and greet in the vip tent. I met them and praised Vinnie Paz for his explicit lyricism. Although Jedi Mind Tricks are presented as hardcore artists, they're humorous fun people displayed in the light. I thought this was really one of the highlights of the event excluding Rage.

Throughout the rest of the day I was always in the main stage. Sorry to all the artists in the Pay Dues stage but that stage was completely out of my reach and the walking distance was probably a mile because of sound-clashing purposes with the main stage. I know NYC had that problem with the main stage being too loud that the people in the independent stage could hear it. General admission area looked like Coachella, even worse, a rave. Pay Dues stage was located there and i seriously did not want to walk over a thousand half naked people laying down on grass. so i sat in the vip seating since i had a good view.

The Roots weren't getting as much love as they usually do but when Nas took his set over Black Thought's band the crowd went ballistic. Nas did a couple theme songs with the Roots and left. The audience went back to it's undesirable state watching the Roots perform their James Brown tribute for 10 minutes. I'm sorry but there were a lot of posers at Rock the Bells. Too many that i started video taping them more than i did with the acts because their behaviors just entertained me. It's like watching insects play in a territory that they're not supposed to be at. The crowd thinks the Roots are boring but they act like retards during Cypress Hill. Only bboys know how to get hype to James Brown. Therefore, bboys get hyped to the Roots. "Where's the true bboy and "real" hip hop heads at?", i asked myself.

During Wu-Tang's performance pepper spray was unleashed into certain sections in the vip crowd. This made people throw water bottles at security guards. Assuming it was going to start a riot, it eventually calmed down because the security guards were "shooked" when the enormous amount of bottles were being thrown at them abruptly.

During Rage's performance, fires were setting in all 5 sections behind the vip section. Tear gas was unleashed into the general admission crowd behind me and everyone in the vip where considering leaving. This would've had a major advantage for general admission to take over vip seating. Luckily, there were a lot of grounded seats. Most of them have been tagged on btw. It's a shame to see this nice venue to be treated by unconscious people.

i will be posting a short clip soon.....

Last edited by albeeyap2 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:35 pm
organize

I heard that tear gas or pepper sprayed was unleashed into the crowd at some point. Is this true?
Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:49 pm
albeeyap2

yes, it almost started a riot and water bottles were being thrown at the security guards. Security guards looked frightened when the throwing bottles errupted. In addition, all 5 sections around the vip area in the grass general admission area started fires right before Rage performed. Everyone in the vip where considering leaving. This would've had a major advantage for general admission to take over vip. Luckily, there were a lot of grounded seats. A lot have been tagged on btw. It's a shame to see this nice venue to be treated by unconscious people.
Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:56 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

You really missed out. The Paid Dues stage was bonkers at that show. Everyone ripped.
Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:00 pm
albeeyap2

i had a front view in the vip seating. If i left someone would've took it and all the vip front viewers have been saving there spot since they first got in there. There was no way i was going to leave my spot.
Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:14 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

The crowd was probably dead during The Roots because they're boring as hell in concert.
Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:33 pm
albeeyap2

Roots performed their James Brown tribute for 10 minutes. The crowd thinks the Roots are boring but they act like retards during Cypress Hill. Only bboys know how to get hype to James Brown. Therefore, bboys get hyped to the Roots. Hardly any bboys in sight.
Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:40 pm
adfdub

Drugs ruin the experience.
Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:41 pm
albeeyap2

General admission area looked like Coachella, even worse, a rave. Pay Dues stage was located there and i wouldn't want to walk over a thousand half naked people laying down on grass.
Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:46 pm
kese

I thought the Roots were boring in NYC... and I've seen them a few times before and loved it.

On the other hand... I really enjoyed seeing Cypress Hill for the first time. They put on a real dope set in NYC, much better than the Roots imo.
Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:53 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
albeeyap2

Cypress Hill has been doing their same set for their potheads for so many years. They never changed they way they performed. B-real hitting on the bongos and drums. "Come get lifted with us" is what they always want from their audience. They involve crowd participation which is a plus but i see Cypress Hill as one of the worst influences in hip hop. And for the Roots, they hardly get involved with the crowd but they stay musically inclined in their performance.
Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:09 pm
O2K
SFF has a stalker.

The whole day was great!

It was the first time I got to see Sage, didn't disappoint. I didn't get to see too many shows though, but Cage was good, Brother Ali ofcourse was amazing, I thought Cypress Hill was good as well. Rage was great.
Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:39 pm
organize

Sage Francis wrote:
You really missed out. The Paid Dues stage was bonkers at that show. Everyone ripped.

I hope for the same at the San Francisco stop... are you getting worn out from the road yet?
Post Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:52 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

The san fran show we played last week was lame.
Post Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:48 pm
mzehe916

Sage Francis wrote:
The san fran show we played last week was lame.
huh? what? when and where was this?
Post Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:50 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next