Search
Register
Rock the Bells - NYC
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

albeeyap2

Rock the Bells - NYC  Reply with quote  

so how was it? i haven't heard anything from the first day or seen a video on youtube.
Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:40 pm
Frezz

The fucking thing started a couple hours ago. You kids and your internet.
Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:46 pm
albeeyap2

here is JS-1's review:

well, if you dont mind 100% humidity, and sweating really badly all day, then Rock The Bells was cool, no pun intended....

well, i had to spin at the Heineken Tent so i didnt get to see the entire day but i can tell you about some of what i saw, how my day went, and who i ran into...

of course, Rahzel n Supernatural hosting was dope... they r the sickest...

EPMD made my day, and watching the crowd react, made me sick...
People just dont know anymore... sad. DJ SCRATCH Is the man...

I missed Public Enemy... fuck! Immortal Technique and Pharoahe were on stage before the sun rose this morning which kinda sucked. i personally would have liked to see them headline the side stage...

Wu is Wu... but ive seen them plenty of times.. Cyrpess Hill killed it! anyone with a 10 foot bong and pounds of weed is down w me...

I only stayed for one or two RAGE songs because i had to beat the traffic... tomorrow i will stay to see one of my favorite groups.. RAGE!

Sooo... for my day in my tent... Myself and Dj Ody-Roc had some fun... MUGGS from Cypress Hill played the crazy rock set, treat! Scott Ian from Anthrax came out and jammed! SICK!!!!!!!!
Dj Synapse was there with us playing treats all day, and JayCeeOh was also cutting it up with us..

Shout outs to Akrobatik, C Rayz Walz, Tonedeff, Pack Fm, Poison Pen,
and everyone else i saw today...

We will be back tomorrow...

anyone attending tomorrow... come stop by the Heineken Tent and hang with us... same deal tomorrow! and its the only air conditioned tent!!!! lol

DJ JS-1
rock steady crew
Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:16 pm
The Blind Astronomer

I don't know if I ever want to go to another show. That was so complete. It'll be close to impossible to beat that
Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:29 pm
organize

please elaborate... all i can find is a review on Rages set....
how was everyone else?

-Sage
-Technique
-Jedi Mind Tricks
-Specials guests?
Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:33 pm
Blackstone Valley

organize wrote:
please elaborate... all i can find is a review on Rages set....
how was everyone else?

-Sage
-Technique
-Jedi Mind Tricks
-Specials guests?

sage was good. seemed a bit tired or distracted perhaps, but quite entertaining none the less.

my opinion is also tainted having seen the htdd tour before and after everyone had fallen into their groove.

brother ali's performance was fuckin amazing. dudes rips shit up. i cant wait to check him out again. ugh, so good. highlight of my day.

thats all i got for you.

oh, and flavor flav needs to chill.

and thank you to everyone who made my weekend happen!
Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:53 pm
albeeyap2

The Blind Astronomer wrote:
I don't know if I ever want to go to another show. That was so complete. It'll be close to impossible to beat that

yes. i'm retiring from hip hop shows after this unless they'll be a pharcyde reunion.
Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:47 pm
Harpsichord

Once I recharge my batteries, I can put some photos up. Show was great...precious few complaints about any of the acts, and seeing Rage was a dream come true.
Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:33 pm
IAmNiki

Rage's set was the best show I've ever been to, hands down. Cypress, Wu, The Roots all were fucking great too. I fainted from heat exhaustion and had to get pulled out of the crowd toward the end of wu's set (people were honestly dropping every 15 minutes from heat stroke but the medics just threw them in a chair, dumped water on them and gave them ice until they felt better.) Luckily I was only out of the game for about 30 minutes and I was able to remarkably get through the crowd back to my origional spot. I met a super buff guy named mike or matt who protected me during the mosh pits for rage's set. Really wonderful time, except water wasn't as accessable as it should have been.
Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:36 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

niki,
that is not fucking right, girl. not right.
Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:46 pm
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

IAmNiki wrote:
(people were honestly dropping every 15 minutes from heat stroke but the medics just threw them in a chair, dumped water on them and gave them ice until they felt better.)

My friend said he saw at least 10 people hit the deck during the second half of the concert. I thought he was exaggerating.
Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:24 pm
adfdub

It's funny how people in the crowd pass out, and then notice how the artists don't.
Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:44 pm
Blackstone Valley

isnt it also funny how artists dont have to stand in line for an hour and a half for three chicken wings that cost 8 bucks. and they dont have to wait in a line of 100 people for a bottle of water. and they dont have to stand in the sun because they are backstage.
/sarcasm

no one asks why artists dont pass out because the answer is obvious.

i would like to add that the food selection was shit. everything was fried and/or hella greasy.
Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:16 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I gave a speech today about how the people in the crowd were the ones who were really "paying dues." But you need the sense to keep yourself replenished and out of harms way if you know you don't have the capacity to stand in the heat with a large group of people who are wilin out to music
Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:20 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Short breakdown of what I saw.

Cage - Killed it. First time seeing him. I was very impressed.

EPMD - They've still got it. The crowd was pretty small when they came out but everyone seemed to give them lots of love. Fucking amazing.

Sage - Seemed like he would have rather been watching PE. Definitely was distant or something. His equipment seemed fucked up too.

Public Enemy - I'll agree that Flav needs to chill. Dude talked for like 30 minutes about VH1 and his kids and then played the drums and then talked some more. Brilliant for the other half of the time when they were actually rapping.

The Roots - Disappointing as is to be expected (at least from me). I've never seen a good Roots show. Every time I see them it makes me want to put in Do you want more? or Things fall Apart. I did spent almost their entire set waiting for food but I watched from afar so I might have missed something while trying to squeeze a measly meal out of the assholeish, stingy vendor girl but would it be too much to ask if they would play some older shit with their new shit for once.

Cypress Hill - Their set was solid as fuck. All the crowd favs and hits. I puffed on a blunt and was happy. Great performance. Couldn't have asked for better.

Wu Tang - I think everyone seemed a bit tired at this point but their set was awesome as well. I think everyone was fucking dying of exhaustion (as has been mentioned) and just didn't have the energy to jump around and there was no water to be seen. They still killed it though, Redman too.

Rage - The most energetic act (from crowd and band) that I've ever seen. From the moment they stepped on stage to the last note of "Killing in the Name of" people were bouncing, singing and fist pumping. They seemed a little rusty, I didn't care and I don't think anyone else did either. They gave a truly memorable performance.

edit- As for the food in particular, eric and I must have been in the same line for chicken wings during the Roots or something because it was ridiculous. I have no idea what kind of shifts the vendor people were working but the one we went to for food was fucking stupid. The one girl sat on her chair for more time than she actually spent dishing out food, the guy cooking the hamburgers burned them (and he wasn't doing anything but standing there), and the guy taking money kept forgetting what people ordered. Rediculous for 8 bucks. Re-fucking-diculous.

I agree with Sage in that people should be taking care of themselves but when you have to stand in line for literally 2 or 3 acts trying to get food/water it really puts a damper on how much you can really enjoy the show. Hours in a line trying to stave off dehydration isn't exactly how I planned on spending my day. Especially when that food ends up being seriously 3 chicken wings and a half-assed paper bowl of potato chips (when they advertised chicken fingers and a french fry plate to begin with). Luckily, about halfway through the Roots, we figured out that they were giving out free water at the first aid tents and there were no lines.
Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:34 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next