Register
"HTDD could be so much better" Cleftpallet.wordpre
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

"HTDD could be so much better" Cleftpallet.wordpre  Reply with quote  

http://cleftpallet.wordpress.com/2007/05/30/sage-francis-human-the-death-dance/

Human the Death Dance, Sage Francis’ third full length album, is a mixed bag of some really good songs, some really bad songs, and a few that could go either way. After the [what seems to be, these days] obligatory intro, Sage Francis launches into the disastrous, “Underground for Dummies,” which may have been an attempt at a personal history but comes across as unsubstantiated self-aggrandizement. Frankly, if Sage Francis were as talented as he purported in this song, he could brag about himself in a way that was actually interesting. I almost gave up after this single song. Yes, it’s that bad. Fortunately, the record is immediately redeemed by the following two tracks, “Civil Disobedience” and “Got Up Thing Morning,” where the rapper shows off his real talent: storytelling. This is especially apparent in the latter of the two tracks, a bluesy stroll through the pitfalls of mismatched values between lovers. He shows off lyrical dexterity and literary depth in clever quips like “..she dangled that carrot, then asked me ‘What Would Bukowski Do?’ ‘Don’t go there, he’d make you his mom and then lie about it in a book later on..’ ”
This inconsistency in songwriting is, well, pretty consistent in the rest of the album. There are other moments of “What the hell is he thinking,” like “Midgets and Giants,” and other flashes of solid lyrical delivery and at least average to above average production, displayed in the short “Good Fashion” or “Keep Moving. Human the Death Dance usually left me a little irritated at the inadequacies in the record, and really hungry for those really tasty morsels [for example, “Black Out On White Night” or “Going back to Rehab”] that Sage Francis is entirely capable of delivering.
After listening to Human the Death Dance for a couple of days, I found that it had a sonic similarity that I could not quite put my finger on. Then I remembered a group that I had flirted with liking around three years ago, another set of KRS-1 inspired rappers known as Jedi Mind Tricks. Of course, Sage Francis lyrical content, delivery, and beats are much better than anything JMT ever did, I just wish he had more to offer than being a “better” or even a “much, much better” JMT.
So, this is a pretty harsh review. It is not because I think that Human the Death Dance is bad record. It is actually pretty good considering what is generally available in hip-hop culture. It’s actually pretty good as for as the underground goes. But, it could have been so much better. Sage Francis is definitely an extremely talented rapper, but he isn’t really offering his full potential. He is at his best when he is telling a story or making a political statement, and at his worst when reaffirming his own ego. Hopefully his future offerings will include more of the former, and none of the latter.
Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:49 pm
selfportrait

I think what he's basically saying is Xaul Zan should have an album :)
Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:53 pm
Majawala

sage, what do you think?
Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:40 pm
mizterie

i think this person is full of shit. he compared sage to JMT? what the fuck kind of half assed retarded comparison is that? has this person really ever listened to JMT? or does he just know that JMT is a huge name in underground rap so he thought the comparison was fitting?
Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:10 pm
HercOrama
wolf

"another set of KRS-1 inspired rappers known as Jedi Mind Tricks"

it's only one rapper homie, get'cha shit straight.

and i nominate underground for dummies as a top 3 song on the album so i don't know what this guy is talking about.
Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:15 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tempest

absolutely 'underground for dummies' is the best and 'got up this morning' is by far the track i dislike most.
Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:49 pm
marshall84

Tempest wrote:
absolutely 'underground for dummies' is the best and 'got up this morning' is by far the track i dislike most.

Yeah, I feel the same way. The only tracks I skip are Got Up This Morning and the interlude. Maybe I don't like it because Sage doesn't rap fast? Ha, I'm a loser...
Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:20 pm
Dialectz

I think you just have to be more 'familiar' with Sage's past to really appreciate Underground for Dummies.
Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:21 pm
breakfast

This review was written by someone with only a passing interest in hip hop, and writing. As a result, it comes off half-assed and uninformed on both fronts.
Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:34 pm
Thugsbemakinout

mizterie wrote:
i think this person is full of shit. he compared sage to JMT? what the fuck kind of half assed retarded comparison is that? has this person really ever listened to JMT? or does he just know that JMT is a huge name in underground rap so he thought the comparison was fitting?

Haha true. Comparing Sage to JMT is pretty weird.
Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:45 pm
Dan Shay

if you ask me this guy is probably really peeved cause you didn't give him either hope or personal journals redux, one of the two.
Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:38 am
medicineman
HALFLING

Ok, seriously? Sage? Jedi Mind Tricks? Those are pretty much completely opposite ends of the spectrum of style of hip-hop as far as I can discern. Ok, maybe there's no 'spectrum,' or 'opposites' but they are highly dissimilar. At no point in the history of either have I noted a "sonic similarity." I could go into some bullet-point details of why that's ridiculous but obviously anyone here who has heard both and isn't a complete moron doesn't really need that. I don't think I've ever once heard Sage say "heater" so that's pretty much resolved right there. This would have just been a weakish review but that little comment just makes this guy look like a complete boob.

PS Plus this dude hates on Stoupe beats, albeit in passing, which is a bad move in my book.
Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:57 am
HercOrama
wolf

marshall84 wrote:
Yeah, I feel the same way. The only tracks I skip are Got Up This Morning and the interlude. Maybe I don't like it because Sage doesn't rap fast? Ha, I'm a loser...

the interlude is fucking awesome...i don't think i've ever skipped it.

for me it's: clickety clack, high step and got up this morning (rarely).

all of those songs are dope though, so i don't know why.
Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:35 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gordon shumway

Woopty fucking blam. That review was not very well thought out or written. "It's actually pretty good as far as the underground goes" What the shit kind of statement is that? "It could have been so much better" Yeah, and what a good job explaining how he thinks it could have been better. He doesn't like this song because it seems very arrogant but he likes these "tasty morsels" and doesn't mention the content. JMT???????????
Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:40 am
Jerome

Quote:

I think you just have to be more 'familiar' with Sage's past to really appreciate Underground for Dummies.

i think the opposite is true. if you're at all farmiliar then you've heard it all before and it's no longer interesting.
Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:52 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next