Profile
Search
Register
Log in
Spin magazine continues to not get it (HTDD review)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Author Message
curiousconsortium



Joined: 28 Aug 2005
Posts: 1203
Location: london
 Reply with quote  

seandaley wrote:


meh.


sluggo scraping me. haha a great day
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:54 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
name



Joined: 12 Nov 2002
Posts: 955
 Reply with quote  

sean, you seemed to be the "defensive" one. unless i'm reading a different transcript. not that it really matters. but for the record, i'd say the same thing if i were posting on your board. it has nothing to do with the sage cultishness that goes on here a lot of the time.

i don't really understand the "what do you expect from Spin?" attitutude. we can't criticize bush, since we already know he's a moron?
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:57 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
seandaley
passive aggressifist


Joined: 13 Jan 2003
Posts: 1608
 Reply with quote  

Alias@anticon.com wrote:

yeah...I lose massive amounts of sleep over it every night.

ah, the old opinion clause. I'm just giving you my opinion on your opinions. That's all.

Opinion.


well i still think you make wonderful music.
so there.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:57 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
MYOWNCLICHE



Joined: 25 Jan 2004
Posts: 3886
Location: In side YOUR head
 Reply with quote  

This is why I fuckin hate to work... I miss all the fun
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:59 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 21581
 Reply with quote  

victim complex. I have no beef with you. I don't mind hashing these things out. I do think that you're looking out for your MPLS friend (or looking out for reviewers in general) but I'm not. You have a problem with my "choir" weighing in with their own opinions about how a review like this is shitty. Not just because it speaks badly of my album, but because it's a shitty review in a large magazine. At this point in my life I don't know the difference between Spin, Vibe, Rolling Stone or the Source. Well...the Source has never covered me (even when they did a 9 page article on Rhode Island) so I guess that excludes them from my list. I'm glad that the other places covered my material at all, but I also have opinions about their opinions.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:59 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
MessiahCarey



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 10924
 Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
Well...the Source has never covered me (even when they did a 9 page article on Rhode Island) so I guess that excludes them from my list.


HA!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't heard that article mentioned in forever.

Jah Pan and the Blob were in that, right...from their crew before FunkBunker...can't remember the name...didn't Mortal get some shine in that article, too?

Blast from the past.

Carry on.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:03 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
seandaley
passive aggressifist


Joined: 13 Jan 2003
Posts: 1608
 Reply with quote  

name wrote:
sean, you seemed to be the "defensive" one. unless i'm reading a different transcript. not that it really matters. but for the record, i'd say the same thing if i were posting on your board. it has nothing to do with the sage cultishness that goes on here a lot of the time.

i don't really understand the "what do you expect from Spin?" attitutude. we can't criticize bush, since we already know he's a moron?


i guess the difference is that bush kinda lives on our nickel.
as an elected official, he works for us. represents us to the rest of the world.

spin on the other hand, well, let's just say that sage's publicist felt really good about getting him a review, whether or not the review was any good.
sage basically paid for the publicist. not the review.

and yes, you can criticize the review, not once did i say that i thought it was wrong to criticize it. i merely was trying to say that it def ain't michaelangelo's (the writer) fault that it's a poor review...

anyone (even sage) knows that there is a lot at play in those reviews.
it gets editted by someone who did not hear the album.
it gets written by someone who gets paid for freelance work.
and holy moley, if your publicist has any enemies anywhere, that can play into it too.

meh meh meh.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:04 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
MessiahCarey



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 10924
 Reply with quote  

That sounds like a minefield to me.

And in the end, we're expected to read about music and think it's a valid opinion?

That's some good insight as to why these magazines fucking suck.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:06 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 21581
 Reply with quote  

That's a great break down. But without this discussion being had right here and right now, how is the average person supposed to gain any insight as to why things are the way they are? I'm glad it got to this point of the discussion. Thank you.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:07 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
seandaley
passive aggressifist


Joined: 13 Jan 2003
Posts: 1608
 Reply with quote  

edit "my last meh."

who the fuck do i think i am to come over here and say anything that may go against the grain. must be my victim complex.

maybe my words did come off as the defensive one.
i don't know.
all i know is how i felt when i typed it all out. sure didn't feel defensive.
and truthfully, i just wanted to illustrate that i think it's silly to be so intelligent and open-minded (as many on this board perpetuate themselves) yet when sage gets a bad review, the mind gets narrow. my initial intentions were not to engage with sage on any of this. but just to remind everyone that bad reviews in big magazines can be creditted to many things that have nothing to do with the actual album or the actual reviewer.



so be it.

as you were.


Last edited by seandaley on Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:12 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 21581
 Reply with quote  

meh
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:14 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
MessiahCarey



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 10924
 Reply with quote  

I can't speak for anyone...but as you know...music's a very personal thing.

When people hear songs, we put ourselves as the protaganist...or someone we know...a friend, an enemy...whatever. To read someone in a review, or hear a critical friend, imply in some way that the artist who made that song isn't valid - the next natural extention in our brain is that the person is saying that our feelings are invalid.

Of course, it's all bullshit - and some of us have learned to just say "hey...y'know...it ain't your thing...but I love it"...

But you can't tell me that you don't still know that feeling...that feeling of sticking up for an artist that you think is truly important, even if it is mostly based on what their songs mean to you, personally?

It ain't right...but it makes sense to me.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:22 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
name



Joined: 12 Nov 2002
Posts: 955
 Reply with quote  

seandaley wrote:
name wrote:
sean, you seemed to be the "defensive" one. unless i'm reading a different transcript. not that it really matters. but for the record, i'd say the same thing if i were posting on your board. it has nothing to do with the sage cultishness that goes on here a lot of the time.

i don't really understand the "what do you expect from Spin?" attitutude. we can't criticize bush, since we already know he's a moron?


i guess the difference is that bush kinda lives on our nickel.
as an elected official, he works for us. represents us to the rest of the world.

spin on the other hand, well, let's just say that sage's publicist felt really good about getting him a review, whether or not the review was any good.
sage basically paid for the publicist. not the review.

and yes, you can criticize the review, not once did i say that i thought it was wrong to criticize it. i merely was trying to say that it def ain't michaelangelo's (the writer) fault that it's a poor review...

anyone (even sage) knows that there is a lot at play in those reviews.
it gets editted by someone who did not hear the album.
it gets written by someone who gets paid for freelance work.
and holy moley, if your publicist has any enemies anywhere, that can play into it too.

meh meh meh.


ok ok. bad analogy. but the "what do you expect" sentiment is still pointless. that's were things got off track. if "fuck the writer" is wrong to say in this case, then thanks for clarifying. how about "fuck the mainstream press".... how's that for tired. anyway, i guess your point has become: a high quality review in spin would be a miracle for a number of reasons so why bitch about getting a bad one? to me, this still boils down to "don't bitch".
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:32 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
name



Joined: 12 Nov 2002
Posts: 955
 Reply with quote  

also,

can someone please clue me in to what the fuck "meh" means?

it's getting annoying.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:36 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
SlickWillyP
HILL GIANT


Joined: 28 Jun 2004
Posts: 2118
Location: zoo hampshire
 Reply with quote  

name wrote:
also,

can someone please clue me in to what the fuck "meh" means?

it's getting annoying.


say it out loud and shrug your shoulders.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:38 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address

Post new topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:29 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon