Search
Register
Spin magazine continues to not get it (HTDD review)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

seandaley
passive aggressifist

the mean wrote:

Because he values $$$ more than his integrity?

that's pretty general and mostly bs.
lets' scream "fuck the burbs" too.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:18 pm
seandaley
passive aggressifist

loserface wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if people on here just have a library of pretyped responses and they just cut and paste them as it applies to the situation.

of course.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:21 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

seandaley wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:
With that analogy in mind, why would a respectable reporter work for Spin? I mean...Fox News

hmmm. money?

not only that, but as far as music reviews go, cats like m.m get a small amount of money for writing one. while they also might get a little bit for doing their pieces in their city's weekly. hopefully they can make enough off of both to pay rent etc while they work harder at eventually getting a regular column in a respectable place like the new yorker. it ain't the same as music. there is not as much of a network to diy yourself somewhere great (like you and i can do).

your expectations of what is respectable isn't always the same as everyone else's.
all of those people have their own set of morals and rules, and it is very wrong to try and define them by what you think is right. follow yours and let them follow theirs.

Yeah, but by that token they should still be held accountable. Just because a reviewer is trying to make ends meet doesn't mean I can't stand up and address the fact that this review in Spin magazine is weak.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:24 pm
seandaley
passive aggressifist

oh to be a clever 20 year old again.

heh. this is me being envy.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:24 pm
seandaley
passive aggressifist

Sage Francis wrote:
Yeah, but by that token they should still be held accountable. Just because a reviewer is trying to make ends meet doesn't mean I can't stand up and address the fact that this review in Spin magazine is weak.

one more time, just in case i was hard to read.

i had no problem with you thinking the review was weak.
we all get weak reviews, and we all hopefully laugh at them.

my problem was with how you addressed me for adding my "two cents which were not an effort to attack you."

hence i asked about the defensiveness.

nevermind man.
you ain't hearing or feeling me.
just keep doing you.
i've learned my lesson here, and i thank you for it.

Last edited by seandaley on Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:27 pm
Alias@anticon.com

Sean,

Does "Karma Police" by Radiohead play in the background on every message board you visit? what gives?
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:27 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Got defense? ha. Jesus.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:28 pm
seandaley
passive aggressifist

Alias@anticon.com wrote:
Sean,

Does "Karma Police" by Radiohead play in the background on every message board you visit? what gives?

someone else feels my envy about missing being a clever 20 year old too?
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:28 pm
Alias@anticon.com

seandaley wrote:
Alias@anticon.com wrote:
Sean,

someone else feels my envy about missing being a clever 20 year old too?

just wondering why you're constantly trying to son people on message boards. Lemme see your badge. "Do you."
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:41 pm
seandaley
passive aggressifist

Alias@anticon.com wrote:

just wondering why you're constantly trying to son people on message boards. Lemme see your badge. "Do you."

so this discussion is about me trying to son sage?
uh ok.

seandaley wrote:
i've known this writer for over a decade.

he is no idiot.

and i guarantee he listened to the album.

knowing his taste, i bet he even liked it for the most part.

it is no secret that spin editors switch up your words a lot.
especially when they want to sink the knife in deeper, or spray paint the halo "golder?"

either way, even if you don't agree with the review, i just wanted to defend matos a little.

fuckface.

Sage Francis wrote:
I don't know who is responsible, but that review is written and/or edited by a hack.

I like the underhanded compliment he gives when referring to how this album is more mature than A Healthy Distrust (god, that must have been an awful listen for him!)

He liked Personal Journals though. If I remember correctly. Back when belly aching was hip? ha. I don't know. I honestly don't recall many belly aches with this one but you hear whatcha hear.

seandaley wrote:
underground music written about in mainstream magazines.

and we complain about the results.
good times, good times.

Sage Francis wrote:
The biggest piece of press my new record received was in Spin Magazine and I happen to think its junky. That's all. Can that be said on my forum? Hope so. Gimme a holler if it's lame. I don't mean to call out a writer you might know. Does that make you feel uncomfortable or something? Or are you sticking up for his honor. Whichever the case, I'm just saying how I feels. I honestly didn't even give a look at the writer's name til someone else brought it up. That's how green I am to this mess.

seandaley wrote:
got defense?

man it seems like you think i'm attacking you whenever i try to bring some balance to the discussion. i love you as a person and as an artist, and i have no interest in attacking you.

i do not think it's lame for you to post these and/or give your two cents on it.
i think it's valid. i apologize if my two cents in invalid.

i do not feel uncomfortable, nor am i (maybe i am a little) sticking up for matos.
i'm just speaking my mind in turn.

my comments are not aimed at you as much as they are aimed at the forum majority. is there something i said that felt out of pocket?

i'm getting sleepy of feeling like whenever i make a comment that doesn't fit into your personal viewbox, you get defensive.
would you prefer i not make my comments anymore?
i feel as if 95 percent of the things i say are valid and educated, but if you feel as if i'm derailing you and your stance, i apologize.

bottom line to this particular thread is this, go look at the reviews anyone from your artistic peer group has received from spin or rolling stone. and tell me if your review was any worse than what they hand out to any of us.
it's fucking spin magazine. what did you expect?
they write shit for people to read while they poop, or while they wait for the dentist. the good intelligent people of the world (like your forum members) do not subscribe to spin (excuse my generalizing there/just a guess), and i doubt you purchase one any time other than maybe at the airport.

meh.

Sage Francis wrote:
I find it interesting as to what it is you decide to weigh in on over here at this lowly place of discussion. ha. But why is it called "balance" when you do it and "defense" when I do it? My thesis statement is that I think this review is poor. I don't know if it's the writer's fault or the editor's fault. I don't feel this way because they don't like my album. Other people have not liked my album and they were able to give concrete reasons why. Whereas, here is the magazine that didn't an explosive expose on "emo rap" and they continue to just...not...get...what's going on.
Something is happening here and they don't know what it is. Do they?

Missssta Joooooones

seandaley wrote:

your original statements were balance.
my original response was balance.

but then you started to direct your statements towards me, which i see as defense.
even though NONE of my first statements were towards you.
they were merely another opinion, moreso aimed at your supporters as a means of giving a little more context to the backstory.

i agree that the review edit is poor, even made a hint towards my belief of that.
you came at me like it was my opinion vs yours, where i was really only trying to amend the overall discussion.

that's why i believe your additional responses were defensiveness.

as far as interesting decisions to weigh in on posts, have you figured it out yet?
have you deduced what my objective is when i decide to drop my two cents?
even that comment from you reaks of defensiveness.

basically.
you called the review sucky.
i said that there may be hidden reasons why it is sucky.
then i mention the line about underground music being reviewed in mainstream mags and how we should brush it off our shoulder..
and then you came at me with defensiveness.

meh x 2.

do you.

Sage Francis wrote:
We'll agree to disagree about my defensiveness. I didn't know if you were looking out for this MPLS reviewer, or if there was some Spin conspiracy you were aware of and figured I was aware of as well, or if there was something else industry-related that I was threatening somehow. This isn't about an underground rapper "complaining" about mainstream press. To me, that's not what it's about.

seandaley wrote:
as far as the emo story they did years ago...

you remember the writer?
jon?

seen what he's been up to lately?

he didn't write that piece because he was into the scene.
he wrote that piece because it was something he could sell to the mag.
opportunism.

they didn't edit and print the piece because they cared.
they editted it and printed it because they didn't want to let the few g's they paid for it to go to waste. period.

so yeah, it does make sense that they don't have a clue about what is going on.
because they don't fucking care what is going on.

i highly doubt they give a shit whether this amy winehouse girl sober's up.
yet the cover story last issue was about her alchohol issues.

cmon man...

Sage Francis wrote:
I don't know what to say really. I know fuck all about this magazine. I never read it. All I know is I see it on magazine shelves. And to go back to my original point, I think Spin doesn't "get" what's happening. That's my contention. How are we feeling about that?

seandaley wrote:

i'm down for the agree to disagree part.

the spin conspiracy is no different than any capitalist conspiracy.

i have no idea what you mean about threatening anything.

the only looking out i'm doing for m.m is to say, hold up, before a bunch of your choir gets all anti-michaelangelo, they should be a little more realistic about how mainstream press works.

i read posts on here all the time where people drop real good bombs on media discussion. yet when it comes to reviews of music, everyone seems to take it so personal without accounting for the monster that is in there.

why would a mainstream music mag do a better job than fox fucking news?

Sage Francis wrote:
With that analogy in mind, why would a respectable reporter work for Spin? I mean...Fox News

seandaley wrote:

i feel fine homie.

i think it's self serving to accuse anyone of not getting it, when it's not really their job or their responsiblity to get it.

are you saying that spin should be held accountable for "gettin it?"
is it their job to analyze counter culture music for their readers?
or is it the reader's job to go find media sources that fit the reader's agenda?

Sage Francis wrote:
Sean,
I think you are more savvy in regard to how music journalism works. But I will bitch about Fox and I will bitch about Spin. I won't lose sleep over it, but I will point and laugh sometimes.

seandaley wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:

hmmm. money?

not only that, but as far as music reviews go, cats like m.m get a small amount of money for writing one. while they also might get a little bit for doing their pieces in their city's weekly. hopefully they can make enough off of both to pay rent etc while they work harder at eventually getting a regular column in a respectable place like the new yorker. it ain't the same as music. there is not as much of a network to diy yourself somewhere great (like you and i can do).

your expectations of what is respectable isn't always the same as everyone else's.
all of those people have their own set of morals and rules, and it is very wrong to try and define them by what you think is right. follow yours and let them follow theirs.

Sage Francis wrote:

seandaley wrote:
one more time, just in case i was hard to read.

i had no problem with you thinking the review was weak.
we all get weak reviews, and we all hopefully laugh at them.

my problem was with how you addressed me for adding my "two cents which were not an effort to attack you."

hence i asked about the defensiveness.

nevermind man.
you ain't hearing or feeling me.
just keep doing you.
i've learned my lesson here, and i thank you for it.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:45 pm
WrathChild

You guys are both wrong. Way wrong. It's Spin, not getting "it" is kinda their thing. Axle Rose settled this in the early 90's.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:47 pm
seandaley
passive aggressifist

(directed at bren..no confuso)

oh wait, that's right.

i gave you my opinion of you talkin shit about 9th wonder once...not just criticizing him, but straight up shitting on him. and i told you how i felt about it...
and you're still bothered by it.

i am truly sorry bren.
i will never tell you how i feel again.

Last edited by seandaley on Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:47 pm
seandaley
passive aggressifist

WrathChild wrote:
You guys are both wrong. Way wrong. It's Spin, not getting "it" is kinda their thing. Axle Rose settled this in the early 90's.

somewhat what my point was.
but i wasn't as eloquent at saying it.
thank you for saying it.

now maybe sage and bren won't beef with me.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:49 pm
Say Sam Ting

Just call each other up.. whats up with this intranetz war
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:52 pm
Alias@anticon.com

seandaley wrote:
oh wait, that's right.

i gave you my opinion of you talkin shit about 9th wonder once...not just criticizing him, but straight up shitting on him. and i told you how i felt about it...
and you're still bothered by it.

i am truly sorry bren.
i will never tell you how i feel again.

yeah...I lose massive amounts of sleep over it every night.

ah, the old opinion clause. I'm just giving you my opinion on your opinions. That's all.

Opinion.
Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:53 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next