Search
Register
review of HTDD from popmatters.com
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Oh Daesu

The Shards wrote:
i think people worry too much 'cohesive albums'... the art is songwriting, not album writing. If artists want to create a concept album where everything falls into place, that's fine, but otherwise why worry? No one said you have to listen to the album start to finish - i skip through them, make my own sequences. Seems silly to penalize great songs just because they don't work together.

I suppose the charge though is some of the songs contradict the maturity Sage shows on the others. Namely Underground for Dummies, High Step, Midgets and Giants. I think people need to upgrade their sense of humour in that case though, maybe they're not quite catching it

There is something to be said for an album as whole being somewhat unified. Listenable from start to end, in a coherent flowing way. But maybe that's just me being old. We are in the era of the single once again.
Post Sun May 13, 2007 12:35 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Maybe this reviewer could have learned that there actually is a combining theme in almost every song if he had read the post where I explained that. Seems like he's easily swayed.
Post Sun May 13, 2007 12:40 pm
Oh Daesu

Sage Francis wrote:
Maybe this reviewer could have learned that there actually is a combining theme in almost every song if he had read the post where I explained that. Seems like he's easily swayed.

I guess. Judging continuity is fairly subjective, I guess. Don't get me wrong, I think the album flows just fine, but he doesn't come across ill-informed or as nothaving listened to the material.
Post Sun May 13, 2007 12:50 pm
The Shards

i'm not sure if the accusation is the album isnt'
intellectually coherent
or
coherent in mood
Post Sun May 13, 2007 7:31 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

What I think is funny about this is the guy like actually tries to seriously pick apart a song containing the line "don't try to cover up, my nipple grabs are awesome."
Post Mon May 14, 2007 12:04 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2