Search
Register
Pitchfork's HTDD review.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

doubleplusgood

The Shards wrote:
Okayplayer forums - the anti-Pitchfork - hating on Sage, hard:

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=1211937&mesg_id=1211937&page=

Is anyone else enjoying this okayplayer thread as much as I am? Some of the most ignorant statements you will ever read
Post Sat May 12, 2007 11:01 am
Oh Daesu

I hate the format of that forum. I can't read more than three posts before giving up.
Post Sat May 12, 2007 1:26 pm
a secret muscle

marshall84 wrote:
Mr 9999 wrote:
I have one gripe.
The reviewer mentions the Bukoswki reference and then pretends like Bukowski is highly regarded in nerdy english major circles. Bukowski is like Vietnam...the dude is just NOT taught in schools. In fact, an English Major was sitting next to me on a flight recently and she asked me what kind of authors I was into. She had never even heard of Bukowski. She graduates this year. Ahhh. Haha. I pointed her in the direction of "Post Office" and told her to walk into it with caution.

Yeah. A friend of mine was in this poetry class and he asked his professor what he thought of Bukowski. He hadn't even heard of him. Bukowski is pretty low-brow as far as poetry goes.

Wow. I definitely learned about Bukowski in a 10th grade creative writing class. Then again I had the most crazy and out of this world teacher. But still, the school still allowed her to incorporate it into her curriculum. He has also popped up in several college courses i've taken. This comes as a surprise to me. What kind of lame schools did these people go to. The college I went to had a whole class dedicated to bukowski.
Post Sat May 12, 2007 1:59 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
futuristxen

a secret muscle wrote:
marshall84 wrote:
Mr 9999 wrote:
I have one gripe.
The reviewer mentions the Bukoswki reference and then pretends like Bukowski is highly regarded in nerdy english major circles. Bukowski is like Vietnam...the dude is just NOT taught in schools. In fact, an English Major was sitting next to me on a flight recently and she asked me what kind of authors I was into. She had never even heard of Bukowski. She graduates this year. Ahhh. Haha. I pointed her in the direction of "Post Office" and told her to walk into it with caution.

Yeah. A friend of mine was in this poetry class and he asked his professor what he thought of Bukowski. He hadn't even heard of him. Bukowski is pretty low-brow as far as poetry goes.

Wow. I definitely learned about Bukowski in a 10th grade creative writing class. Then again I had the most crazy and out of this world teacher. But still, the school still allowed her to incorporate it into her curriculum. He has also popped up in several college courses i've taken. This comes as a surprise to me. What kind of lame schools did these people go to. The college I went to had a whole class dedicated to bukowski.

We had a whole class dedicated to Gertrude Stein. Which I took. And it was life-changing! There's life before you read Gertrude Stein, then there's life after.
Post Sat May 12, 2007 2:48 pm
Bob_ptmfus

smake wrote:
Thats what I always find very strange, when a reviewer on a site says:

"Sage Francis's strongest album to date"..... and then give it a lower grade (7.9) than AHD (8.0), Hope or some of the Sick Of...

That's just strange.

Not when you realize that different writers wrote those reviews (I think Rollie Pemberton wrote both the Hope and Sick Of... series reviews but my point still stands).

Pitchfork isn't a single entity, though their writers often share similar musical tastes. In this case though, I think it's a matter of different reviewers with different opinions using different standards of judgement/grading.
Post Sun May 13, 2007 2:37 pm
breakfast

Bob_ptmfus wrote:
smake wrote:
Thats what I always find very strange, when a reviewer on a site says:

"Sage Francis's strongest album to date"..... and then give it a lower grade (7.9) than AHD (8.0), Hope or some of the Sick Of...

That's just strange.

Not when you realize that different writers wrote those reviews (I think Rollie Pemberton wrote both the Hope and Sick Of... series reviews but my point still stands).

Pitchfork isn't a single entity, though their writers often share similar musical tastes. In this case though, I think it's a matter of different reviewers with different opinions using different standards of judgement/grading.

Would have been nice if Rollie reviewed this one too.
Post Sun May 13, 2007 3:15 pm
jehu

Soulbrotha
Member since Feb 18th 2004
5613 posts Wed May-09-07 01:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
61. "WTH?"
In response to Reply # 49

Eminem doesn't put on a "black voice." Your statement is flawed holmes.

"Do to others what you would others have done unto you." - The Lord Jesus Christ

sage, that is awesome that you use a black voice. im gonna have try that. what does that sound like again?!?
Post Sun May 13, 2007 3:48 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

someone on okayplayer wrote:
so you offer a synonym as an argument

Sage Francis threads bring out the worst argumentive fallacies known to okayplayer

Haha.
Post Sun May 13, 2007 4:50 pm
ko-d

Okayplayer is weirdly closed-minded with music. If it's not OK approved many of them refuse to even listen.

I also feel uncomfortable reading anything race related on that site. Seems like just a place for a lot of people to say things they would never dream of saying in person.
Post Mon May 14, 2007 12:10 am
Dj Mayonnaise

That place has a whole lot of

w/ links to jaded kids myspace pages
Post Mon May 14, 2007 6:27 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2