Register
HTDD gets 4/5 in Sweden's GP magazine
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

HTDD gets 4/5 in Sweden's GP magazine  Reply with quote  

Nice review in GP (Sweden's second biggest daily), rating: 4/5

“Everyone who liked “Personal Journals” but found “A Healthy Distrust” too electronic and jumpy will worship Sage Francis third album”
Sage Francis

SAGE FRANCIS
Human the death dance

(Epitaph/Border)
Hiphop. Alla som gillade Personal journals, men tyckte att A healthy distrust var för elektronisk och hoppig, kommer att dyrka Sage Francis tredje platta. Organisk, riktiga instrument, väl sammanhållen, gäster som Jolie Holland (!) och med den typ av högst personliga texter - "Divorce papers falling out of my briefcase" - som skulle kunnat vara nästan obehagliga att lyssna på om inte Sage haft sådan komisk snärt och närvaro. Och jo, han är bättre på att rappa nu också.
Post Wed May 02, 2007 7:18 pm
Dyss

Haha, if it wasnt for the last line "And yes, hes better at rapping this time around"

Like hes ever been bad...
Post Wed May 02, 2007 7:30 pm
jehu

here's the translations i came up w/:

1st one:

Hiphop. All as favour Staff case record , but feel that A healthy distrust each for electronic and jumpy , will adore Sage Stamp third slab. Organic , right instrument , welfare sammanhållen , guests as Jolie Holland (! ) and with this creature of supreme prevalence text Divorce parrot case make my briefcase " as should kunnat product almost warm that hark on unless Sage had such funny lash and attendance. And yes , he is better on that plaster now also.

2nd one:

Hiphop. All that liked personnel log's, but thought that A healthy distrust was for electronic and hoppig, will adore Sage Francis third plaque. Organic, correct instruments, surely cohesive, guests that Jolie Holland (!) and with that type of no more than personal texts - “Divorce papers falling out of my briefcase” - that willed can be almost objectionable to listen on unless Sage had such comic snärt and presence. And yes, he is better on rapping now also.

i like the 2nd translation better.

good stuff.
Post Wed May 02, 2007 7:34 pm
Ananasakäämä

Ha, great translations. You get the idea from the second one.

Jag kunde förstå nägot av den svenska text, men inte allt.

By the way - totally off-topic - I found A Healthy Distrust in my local library in Järvenpää, Finland. So Sage is almost like public domain here..
Post Thu May 03, 2007 1:17 am
Clocked In

Since I don't really deem it threadworthy, here's a really shitty review of HTDD from swedish rag "Nöjesguiden", a free entertainment monthly distributed in the three largest cities. It's a Vice-wannabe with poor poor writing and is held in the lowest of regards by anyone who doesn't work there. This review will probably sell Sage more records rather than the opposite. Anyway, translation is mine and should it be considered an inappropriate post do, by all means, delete it (hey, i be n00b. I cover my back)

"Five years ago I saw Sage Francis on a small stage in Malmö. He was bearded and crusty and had brought a small cd-player instead of a DJ. That in combination with songs like Makeshift Patriot and Inherited Scars made him seem different and important. But that was then and now a little too many Anticon-inspired rappers has come and gone for you to stand another record filled with undancable beats, forced absurd humour and grumpy hiphop-nostalgia. "I hate party people" raps Sage Francis in "Midgets and Giants" like anyone had a doubt. Humand the Death Dance sounds the same as the indignant rapper's two previous albums. The sound is hard, straggling and uninviting. A few songs has more toned down and contemplating backgrounds which suits Sage Francis' ragged poetry and theatrical performance better, it becomes a soothing counterbalance. But then the shrill beats and exagerated poses return and you just give up."
Post Thu May 03, 2007 2:46 am
Ananasakäämä

I gave up on Nöjesguiden when they reviewed Mulholland Drive and said it was "an ode to Hollywood". (Yeah, we have that shitty magazine in Finland too)
Post Thu May 03, 2007 2:56 am
Storm Davis

jehu wrote:

Sage Francis third plaque

There is no toothpaste strong enough to fight this, the same oral epidemic that caused the extinction of the Cavity Creeps. A dark, dark molar menace.
Post Thu May 03, 2007 7:31 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
doubleplusgood

jehu wrote:
Sage had such comic snärt and presence

I must say, I've always admired Sage's snärt. I have snärt envy
Post Thu May 03, 2007 9:22 am
Jesus Frank

hahaha.

snärt = snap
Post Thu May 03, 2007 3:36 pm
One

snärt = whip
Post Thu May 03, 2007 3:58 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

oh snärt!

my new catch all phrase
Post Thu May 03, 2007 3:58 pm
Jesus Frank

One wrote:
snärt = whip

damn, you're right, sorry about that. not even sure what happened. 'whip' it is.
Post Sat May 05, 2007 1:05 pm

Jump to: