Astro

excellrec wrote:
...that was a sloppy ass solo.

HAHAHA... oh man.
Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:51 pm
Dj Mayonnaise

Sage Francis wrote:
General_Lee wrote:
Wow, the poor drummer having to stand behind him and be completely outshone. "I am only here because Stevie is not an octopus."

hahahaa. nice. what's funny is Stevie obviously isn't playing those drums. he's BLIND

yeah, the technology was amazing back then
Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:09 pm
SlickWillyP
HILL GIANT

im pretty sure there is another drummer...

i love stevie though.
Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:26 pm
Quarters is Nice

SlickWillyP wrote:
im pretty sure there is another drummer...

i love stevie though.

what?
Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:43 pm
DiViNCi gnosis
revorutionary

excellrec wrote:
With all respect to Stevie, it's just as easy to play drums with your eyes closed as open and that was a sloppy ass solo.

STEVIE EATS YOUR FACE, EYES OPENED OR CLOSED!!!
Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:56 pm
DiViNCi gnosis
revorutionary

I love stevie's "sloppy" drumming. it was always so dirty in such a great way, especially his hi hat work.. and you could really hear his creative voice through his playing no matter what instrument he played (drums included). I can't believe anyone would criticize this?!? Blind or not..
Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:00 pm
sogmaster squish

i do believe that was stevie playing those drums. but i don't care if it wasn't. i don't care if it was "sloppy" either. i don't care if stevie can actually see.

that video was mesmerizing to me. just the way he moves and expresses the music is enough for me. pure fun.
Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:24 pm
jehu

DiViNCi gnosis wrote:
I love stevie's "sloppy" drumming. it was always so dirty in such a great way, especially his hi hat work.. and you could really hear his creative voice through his playing no matter what instrument he played (drums included). I can't believe anyone would criticize this?!? Blind or not..

excellrec is trippin hard if he thinks that honestly consitutes "sloppy". im not even saying it's an amazing solo, actually... fuck that, i AM saying it's an amazing solo. blind or not, that was pretty hot shit. you can't possibly be saying that a MUSICIAN as well rounded as SWonder was, that this shit was sloppy. give me a break. dude wasn't even sitting for chrissakes. it didn't need to be tighter, it was perfect as it was.
Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:29 pm
excellrec

I dunno. I just wasn't feeling. I mean yeah, he's groovin and shit but those beats are just wack to me. I wasn't meaning tighter like he should have been rigid like I don't know what groove is or something, I just thought it was unintentionally poor playing.
Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:42 pm
DM

DiViNCi gnosis wrote:
Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:57 pm
Quarters is Nice

What a weird bunch of responses..

Y'all non-believers should really study up on your Stevie Wonder. The man is one of the most talented multi-instrumentalists alive; it's not like he suuuddenly got up from the piano and busted out with unforseen drumming abilities. He was already well known at that point for layering tracks with him playing all the different parts.

The "wack" beats thing.. I just won't even bother with.
Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:00 pm
b. dolan
FBI agent

whatev man. what-ev. i could do that shit with my eyes closed.

but can stevie pee standing up? BECAUSE *I* CAN!

-ZiNG!
Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:12 pm
DiViNCi gnosis
revorutionary

excellrec wrote:
I dunno. I just wasn't feeling. I mean yeah, he's groovin and shit but those beats are just wack to me. I wasn't meaning tighter like he should have been rigid like I don't know what groove is or something, I just thought it was unintentionally poor playing.

Crazy dood.. you don't even know.. All the great shit dude put out back in the day (he still does by the way) it was him drumming and that shit is unfuckwitable.. NOT just cause he's stevie wonder either, and certainly not cause he was blind.. He is ridiculously consistent with his stuff.. which if you were familiar with his work you would see that this solo exudes the stevie wonderfulness that has always been overtly displayed through out his career. Even on his studio tracks he could go in a record any part of the music first whether it was a bass, mellotron, or kick drum part and he was so in tune with what he was doing that he could layer on top from there without having to go back and rerecord anything. He knew the music that well that he didn't need to play to a click or drum beat first... This dude's meter is ridiculous and it's a meter all his own. That part tom part he played during the solo was beautiful too, I was watching like, "how did he just play a melody that totally sounds like something he would write in the middle of this really cathartic drum solo?" Whatever, actually feeling like I have to explain stevie wonder to someone is silly.. his music and influence speaks for itself.. excuse the rant.. just go and listen to his music.
Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:21 am
Astro

Hahaha... I love DiV's rants.
Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:16 am
Stumbleweed

Anyone who thinks he's not playing the drums is an idiot. If that's a sloppy solo, I'd like to hear one of you rip something better. Dude killed it.

And that Def Leopard comment was really left-field -- how does a one-armed drummer compare to a blind one? I'd give the advantage to the blind guy in that battle. Most good drummers play with their eyes closed anyway.
Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:20 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next