Search
Register
Stories from Sage's Shows
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

duck_shoe

Stories from Sage's Shows  Reply with quote  

Unlike alot of you, some of us Sage fans have never seen him live; he just doesn't come up to Canada enough. I've always thought that a Sage show would be up in my top 10 if I ever got to experience it, but lately I've been hearing people say it's disappointing, one person going as far as to say it was the worst hip-hop show he'd ever been to(then again, same guy said he had no mic presence or flow) So I'd like to hear what makes it so great, in part because I'm curious and in part because if I'm going to plan a road trip to see Sage in NYC or Michigan I want to be sure it'll be worthwhile....so some stories of memorable moments and such would be great.
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:36 am
mattsledge

yes. go see sage. worth your $10-20. buy his shit. support that bastard.
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:53 am
mattsledge

memorable moments? the time he stood on chair during makeshift patriot and fell through it. that was a good one.
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:54 am
JC

I saw Sage for my first time in San Jose - best show I've ever seen no doubt. The sound system was pretty whack, he will admit to that if he infact see's this post, but the crowd was soo off the hook, I swear I heard the crowd sing more lyrics than he did, heh.

Anyhow, best part for me, my girl thought he was hella hott and I swear Sage Francis flirted with my girl, if he woulda asked, he coulda took her for the night! ;) Jp Sage - Step off! Heh.

It's too bad you haven't been able to see him in person, it's 10x's the effect and well worth a trek to see him.
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 5:56 am
DeeVeeEightus

I saw Sage live just this week (his show here in the Netherlands) and ive got to admit: one of the best live shows ive ever seen...
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 5:57 am
JC

DeeVeeEightus wrote:
I saw Sage live just this week (his show here in the Netherlands) and ive got to admit: one of the best live shows ive ever seen...

Damn, all the way out there eh? Congrats man. Me and my boy plan to get him out to Nor Cal real soon... ;) We'll definetly let ya'll know if/when this goes down.
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 5:59 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

duck shoe,
pardon me asking; but who in the world said that i put on the worst show they have ever seen?
I would be surprised if someone even said i put on a BAD show.

Even the Sage-haters can't front on a good performance, and if nothing else...good performances are what has kept me going through the years.

do I sound like an arrogant prick saying that shit?

whatever. I break myself on stage almost every night...inside out...and it's not so that rumors can float around about how horrible i am on stage.

prey tell...where did you hear this?
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:57 am
Petrouchka Rasputin

I saw Sage when he did a show in the summer a couple of years ago at a small all-ages shit-hole in Halifax. The crowd was small (30, 40 people), but Sage put on a great show. I knew nothing about him before, and hadn't heard any of his music, but I bought 'Still Sick...' and the 'Bounce / Drop Bass' 12" that night. I think he was selling "No More Prisons" too, but I was short on cash. I still haven't read that book, but now that I remember it, I think I'll try to find a copy.

Sage, I was so caught up in the show that when you said "It might just be a heart attack from stress" while walking out into the crowd, clutching your chest, I was actually worried you might drop dead on the spot.
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:11 pm
duck_shoe

Sage - It was elsewhere on the internet...a basketball board broke off into a discussion about hip-hop and when I mentioned your Personal Journals as my favorite album I was immediately told you were "beyond wack" and overrated. And now that I go back and check, he didn't say your show was the worst, just the most disappointing. A quote from the dude: 'In "Mullett" he talks about being influenced by Public Enemy and Run DMC, but IMO Sage lacks those "old school qualities." To Rakim, MC means "move the crowd," but I dont think Sage really does that....I saw Sage perform a few months ago, and it was the most dissapointing hip-hop show I've witnessed.'
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:37 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

of course the dude doesn't give any details

when

where

exactly
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:46 pm
califunky

haters  Reply with quote  

saw sage for the first time in LA more than a year ago now. played to a live audience (with this idiot ass kid in a trucker hat up front that sage and shalem totally punked on) man did all the classics, started the shit with Makeshift, hanging from his tie, i swear to god every head in the room was shouting word for word right along with him, same for almost all of the songs, Sage gets the crowd hyped like no other, i think Dialated is the only group i have seen impart that much energy on a crowd.

so yeah, he gets the crowd movin

c
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:59 pm
Buddy Peace

England related matters...  Reply with quote  

Making the effort to come over to England to perform (twice this year) ensures as many props as you can handle from me, definitely.
Both shows were simply fantastic and I am very confident the others who came along would say the same. And what a nice guy too. A class act all the way.
I don't know why anyone would say those negative things about Sage's show because I really doubt that that was the case("most disappointing..." etc.), but whatever - the two performances I've witnessed have been truly awesome.
Peace!
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:01 pm
krackareezy

the best sage francis performance ever was the one at the rave in the big field in rural nova scotia. haha.
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:10 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

that Rave was definitely a low point of my performance career though.

hahaha

it was like 6 AM or something...and everyone was asleep in their tent.

I don't remember the heart attack incident, but i got a good chuckle from your recollection

Last edited by Sage Francis on Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:28 pm
eggplant xanadu
try-harderator

Sage's performance at Middle East in Cambridge fades almost any rap show I have seen there(Public Enemy,Kool Keith10/31/2000).I had only heard of Sage through friends mentioning MCs, so the first time I heard Sage it was from backstage in Cambridge that night...it fucking blew me away...Sage creeping out of backstage with XX eye jammies...D.K. intro with George B(that cut-out)...Makeshift Patriot...damn,I feel bad for Sage fans that haven't seen him live.
peace

PS-I didnt care who the fuck he was clowning on,you,me,my homeboy with the trucker hat...seriously Sage's show is that good i dont think i would care if he clowned myself.

peace
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:49 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next