Search
Register
I was attacked by the socialite PC mob today...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Soul Khansenses

prolifik wrote:
Most schools and businesses do not discriminate against minorities, but when the whites vastly outnumber the minorities, then obviously more whites will get jobs than the minorities. Hence, when you make the white to minority ratio equal, more minorities are chosen. If discrimination is occuring at a specific place, yes quotas would ensure that minorities were accepted, but I find it hard to believe that you're a such complete imbecile that you haven't read a single word I've said about resentment and a backlash. I don't think that an increase in discrimination is exactly desirable by anybody. The bottom line is that over time, fair competition that isn't based on quotas and preferences is the only way.

Based on everything you and djdee have said, how can you deem the employment and educational market one governed by fair competition when there is discrimination present?
Post Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:51 pm
prolifik

?  Reply with quote  

What I said isn't a blanket statment about the entire sphere of application acceptance and job hiring practices, but instead a description of individual circumstances in which applicant pool enlargement Affirmative Action is instituted.
Post Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:30 pm
Dee

You're still missing my point, pro.

There already is Affirmative action for whites. What about the resentment blacks feel when less talented whites get a job and they don't, just because the white dude knows the boss?
Post Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:32 pm
The Dead Poet

so are you from SANTA BARBARA...cause i am, and attent at SBCC where they are celebrating the same awareness week...
Post Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:40 pm
prolifik

Obviously you are missing my point by a mile. Current discrimination will only increase with quotas, and thus the already-cynical black guy who gets chosen over a better qualified white guy will only succeed in making it harder for the next black guy to get accepted/hired because whites actually have the power to cause a worsening of the situation due to the fact that they make up the majority in this country.
Post Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:53 pm
Dee

Well, at this point, as far as I'm concerned, its a stalemate. I think that the problem will not solve itself as you seem to just by increasing the applicant pool, just because there are still VERY few "ins" for blacks in this society.

But you disagree.
And so it ends.
Post Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:56 pm
Llamasex

prolifik wrote:
Obviously you are missing my point by a mile. Current discrimination will only increase with quotas, and thus the already-cynical black guy who gets chosen over a better qualified white guy will only succeed in making it harder for the next black guy to get accepted/hired because whites actually have the power to cause a worsening of the situation due to the fact that they make up the majority in this country.
Dude, have you been out in the real world? You don't get the job by being the best qualified, you get the job because you know the right people, and have networked with the people you need to network with.\

BTW this is the exact reason Ivy league colleges are so hot to get into, not because you learn that much more than any other college, but because you meet the right people.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:45 am
prolifik

I don't know what kind of one horse town you live in where everybody knows eachother, but you are not even remotely correct about that. According to your imbecilic logic, the only way a person gets a job is with connections, yet I happen to have the job listings from today's paper sitting right in front of me and the hundreds of classifieds just kinda discredit your little baseless claim. If you were right, then how many classifieds would people see in the paper? Zero, because the jobs would supposedly already be filled by inside people. Job competition is alive and well, even though it may not be balanced.

Next.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:55 am
firefly

Good shit man, I feel ya.

I've met many people like the ones you described and they all make me sick. It's not about careing, its about looking like we care. It's fuckin' bullshit.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:41 am
Dee

Prolifik's not much different...

instead of looking like he cares, he just doesn't care.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:49 am
SoundDoctrine

Being black I don't think that anything like affirmative action is going to help the rise of any non-white race's equality...It's almost like falling off a bicycle when you are learning to ride, your dad picks up the bicycle telling you to get back on...He won't stop saying "Hop on, I'm trying to help!" When you are sitting on the ground bleeding...
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:33 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Llamasex

SoundDoctrine wrote:
Being black I don't think that anything like affirmative action is going to help the rise of any non-white race's equality...It's almost like falling off a bicycle when you are learning to ride, your dad picks up the bicycle telling you to get back on...He won't stop saying "Hop on, I'm trying to help!" When you are sitting on the ground bleeding...
I think that attitude is very destructive.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:16 pm
SoundDoctrine

What's destructive is the thinking that AA helps any kind of progress for women, non-whites, and or other minorities...
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:12 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4