Search
Register
I was attacked by the socialite PC mob today...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

stffuyaysb

Well said :)
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:45 pm
Dee

Whoa whoa whoa whoa...I don't like this characterization of affirmative action...I completely agree that it is an imperfect system, but it is MUCH better than no affirmative action at all, for two main reasons:
1. If there is no law (laissez-faire approach) then everyone assumes there is no PROBLEM. there is.
2. Enlarging the pool of applicants is only a half solution. The fact is that many businesses are "old boy" organizations - I.E. they will only hire whites, oftentimes.

Look at it this way: There already IS affirmative action for whites, in the form of Legacy programs at colleges. When more whites have college educated parents than blacks, legacy ends up continuing the cycle of disparity.
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:46 pm
prolifik

A.A. that enlarges the applicant pool in order to create an equal playing field can and will not work overnight. In fact, nothing works overnight, i.e. women's rights, civil rights, etc. Given time, equal opportunity A.A. will be be proactive, and won't cause the backlash of radical Affirmative Action.
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:55 pm
Dee

I wouldn't characterize Afirmative ACtion as "radical."

Wait...what's "AA", alcoholics anonymous? I thought "AA" WAS affirmative action...
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:13 pm
prolifik

For the reading impared, I already stated that there different types of Affirmative Action. A.A. that is based on quotas is indeed radical, while A.A. that enlarges the applicant pool is anything but.
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:16 pm
dorkasaurus

the hell you say?!  Reply with quote  

sunt qui de factis minus quam ceteri curent (forgive the bad grammar, if it is in fact so very bad)

pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo - catullus

ha ha. sorry. this is just one of those quotes you want to try and work into a conversation or something. just don't take this as a sign of my affections.

welcome to the message board.
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:54 pm
Soul Khansenses

dumb  Reply with quote  

motherfucker
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:24 pm
stffuyaysb

Yo man, that was uncalled for. "Lay off the crack hooka pipe and get a real job".
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:31 pm
Asterax

Are you trying to impersonate Eminem now? :)
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:38 pm
gerhupsom vanbone

:) sideways smiley face?
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:49 pm
Dee

djdee2005 wrote:
Whoa whoa whoa whoa...I don't like this characterization of affirmative action...I completely agree that it is an imperfect system, but it is MUCH better than no affirmative action at all, for two main reasons:
1. If there is no law (laissez-faire approach) then everyone assumes there is no PROBLEM. there is.
2. Enlarging the pool of applicants is only a half solution. The fact is that many businesses are "old boy" organizations - I.E. they will only hire whites, oftentimes.

Look at it this way: There already IS affirmative action for whites, in the form of Legacy programs at colleges. When more whites have college educated parents than blacks, legacy ends up continuing the cycle of disparity.

apparently prolifik wasn't paying attention.
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:04 pm
Llamasex

I'll even go out and support quotas at times, why? Because of how the world works. How do most people come across a job, they know someone who can get them one. For the most part, white people have white friends and black people have black friends, so the white folks hook there buds up with good jobs, and blacks have no inroads.

So I support limited quota until coloreds can get there own good old boy system in place, that way there can be a white eilte and a black elite oppressing hand in hand :P
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:27 pm
Dee

^Bingo. Sort of.
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:38 pm
Petrouchka Rasputin

When I was young, I would mix up two of my older brother's friends, even though one was black and the other white. If only we could all be as blind to race as 4-year-olds.

AIDS ribbons. Free Mumia buttons. Buy Nothing Day. Its nice to show support for a cause, but when will people stop merely trying to spread information about the issue and actually do something about it?

I suppose the people on that AIDS committee were involved only so they could list some volunteer work on their resume, considering their main concern seemed to be that everyone wear their pins, while discussion of possible solutions to the AIDS pandemic was discouraged.

(Haha... Dorkasaurus. I was wondering why you wrote that in Latin until I managed to struggle through translating it)
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:00 pm
Sarcastro

Re: I was attacked by the socialite PC mob today...  Reply with quote  

stffuyaysb wrote:
"You're just trying to start problems Tom."

I agree with the girl from your latin class.
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:55 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next