Search
Register
wow Americans are stupid... and so is the whole world!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Cire

Also....Until you start making our country smarter than dont call it stupid.
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 10:19 am
shambhala

wow  Reply with quote  

two years ago you never would have seen a lot of these responses on this site.
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 11:15 am
August Spies

"You people that are making fun of america are the people that dont appreciate the life you live"

I think this is a really horrible attitude. When peopel hate america is for reasons (whether you agree with them or not). When I say I hate america, which I hadn't on this thread, its because of the horrible things its done. Its because of raping countrys, assasinating democratically elected leaders, backing dictators, killing off all the native americans etc.. etc...

Should I not criticize this country for whats its done or what it does becasue I enjoy the comforts it provides? This is the equivelant of saying "don't complain about anything that is wrong if it benefits you."

If you lived in a slave america should you not try to stop slavery since their work benefits you?
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:52 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
scott

why are you guys arguing with austin spies, you dont think those scores are pathetic for us?? we live in the best country in the world and on almost every question we ranked last or 2nd to last, and who did we beat?? mexico. hes not hating on america, theres a problem here because we could do so much better than that, and we should all care that our education system isnt that great.
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:07 pm
duke_city

CFL wrote:
Dallas, you are a fucking clown.

Texas is 5 times the size of England only geographically - not population wise, you primate.

Just let it go - the land of the free is filled with empty minds.

Fuck George Bush.

And fuck anyone who doesn't agree with that.

Piece

I never said it was 5 times bigger population wise. You assume that saying "Fuck George Bush" is supposed to get under my skin? I voted for Gore. I have a problem with such surveys that don't cosider the unique population spread that the US has as I already stated in my previous post that you didn't seem to read carefully.

Its funny how easily Canadians insult Americans and give us useful political information on our political system on this message board yet your country has lower unemployment, a lot more censored media and is totally dependent on the US to handle any sort of defense situation. You don't find us "doomed" Americans telling you "Fuck Jean Chretien" or any such nonsense as that.

Brian
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:17 pm
apeofdeath
FIRE BREATHING DRAG QUEEN

When was the last time Canada had any serious "defence" situation? Logistically it would be impossible to wage war on Canada. And why would anyone want to in the first place?
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:30 pm
Sarcastro

you are correct though Canada does have LOWER UNEMPLOYMENT rates
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:44 pm
futuristxen

I got all of the questions right. Though I did have to take some time figuring out where afghanistan was, it was in a diffrent spot than I originally thought, fortunately the rest of the numbers were for countries I knew about.

But here's my thing. I'm an american, and in between 18 and 24--but I'm doing fine on my geography. So what am I supposed to do with a news article like this? Because it's not my fault. And everyone says education, education...but I be no means recieved an amazing education. The quiz wasn't terribly difficult for me. And sure, there are people who would have difficulty with this. But what are we supposed to do?

I actually get rather insulted sometimes by the generalizations europeans will make about americans because of surveys like this--I was talking to some dude from Poland the other day on soulseek--and he was like "do you even know where Poland is?" And...really...I had to take a deep breath and not tell him to go fuck himself.(and then I told him where it was, of course) But then I ask dude if he knew where New Orleans --or even just Louisianna was --of course not.

Honestly...I don't know how productive surveys like this are. They do nothing to explain anything. No one has really explained how, this nation of retards is managing to run in spite of it's stupidity. The easy answer is just that we have more bombs and a better army than most everyone else.

Is that the right answer though? I don't know. Maybe it is. But honestly...there is something deep down about america, that the rest of the world just can't duplicate. Our country has the old west magic still about it. It's still the country of cowboys and robbers, and second chances--anyone who's ever visited here from another country knows this. If you've ever gone out west and seen the great open spaces...

But yeah I'm worried. But it's not about stuff like this.
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 4:45 pm
August Spies

just a couple points:

1. The internet survey was jsut a sample of some of the questions. THe actual test did not give you 4 numbers to choose from... so it would be harder.

2. YOu think asking where a country is = asking where a state is? come one. Could you even NAME 3 different provences of France? OR could you point out all the provences of Canada?

"this nation of retards is managing to run in spite of it's stupidity. The easy answer is just that we have more bombs and a better army than most everyone else. "

well america has a pretty distinct class structure in terms of educatino. The people that are actually running this country have probably recieved very good educations. This doesn't mean most of the country doesn't have poor education.

as for bombs and better armies... lets be realistic here. America was not powerful at all as a power until it stepped in in WWI. Even then it wasn't much of a world power until WWII. It certainly wouldn't have been the economic power that it was if Europe had not destroyed itself. so it seems like saying "Our country has the old west magic" is nothing more than some kind of peotic excuse.

NOTE: im not saying america is bad for filling in the economic vacuum left by WWII or for polarizing into a super power against USSR. Im just pointing out that America did not become a power by itself, it was world events that made it such.
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:22 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
futuristxen

Certainly you are correct in your analysis of america not being a militarial power until after WWII and even then, it was due mostly to the polirization of the USSR and US. But you didn't really say anything about our military right now. I doubt we could win a war against any other major power if it came right down to it, fact of the matter is China would probably kick our ass. A lot of our advantage has been that we are so far away from everywhere else, aside from the terrorists coming over here--we really don't face a threat on our continent.

My main question, is what if anything does this country do well? I mean is there anything to be proud of? I think a lot of the things that are best about this country are in fact abstract and poetic.

We're a country, or we've always been a country, of idealistic dreamers. We have never wanted to believe the godawful truth, instead we hold onto what we think is supposed to be and think people are lying to us. There are a lot of bad things that come out of this type of thinking--but it's part of what has kept us diffrent and in some respects ahead of the rest of the world--but we're losing that now, we've fallen behind, especially in human rights to canada and much of europe. I don't think the solution is in telling americans they are stupid and evil and worthless on a weekly basis--because we laugh at ourselves and basically start to shut if off. We need to get back our freedoms. we've become too enamored with making moralistic judgements, and not about freedoms. This is impeding us in business, in science, and in the arts.

It's not about what you know, it's about what you do.
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:20 pm
Dee

China could not kick our ass.

At this point, we are the most powerful country on the globe. Based on raw military power.
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:27 pm
futuristxen

We don't really have the ground forces for a protracted campaign. Taking China would be like vietnam times a million. But as far as the chinese coming over here--that is a stretch.
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:38 pm
Dee

Well, I'm not saying that we could invade their country or conquer it. But we easily have a stronger military.
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:49 pm
arlene DAMNIT

absurd21_13 wrote:
we might not be able to find iraq on the map but we sure can locate your ass so we can put a boot in it. all these other countries hate america because we simply are bad ass motherfuckers. jealousy envy...wicked niggas.. by the way august spies where are you from?

sorry i thought that was funny as all hell
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 7:23 pm
califunky

uh...  Reply with quote  

1. our military is vastly superior to China's. they only thing they have on us is the size of the standing army, aside from which ours is much better trained...the hardware on the other hand is no contest, we have an easy 20 years of military tech on China and gear that would make their eyes pop outta their heads...all of this has nothing to do with whether or not we could invade and take over their country, its just a ridiculous premise (as ridiuclous as them invading us) the logistics are just much to fucking difficult and that is not really how you measure military might...But if, for example, we were to fight a proxy war somewhere neutral like, uh...eastern Africa, we would fucking destroy them.

2. i think the strength of our military regime is highly overated as a measuring stick by which to gauge amerikan power (but it is a big fucking stick to back up unilateral action). i have to agree with futuristxen that amerika really does have something intangible that every other nation lacks.

3. if you are looking at economic power as the main indicator here, then you would see that from the end of reconstruction onward (circa 1875) we were steadily surpassing England and Germany as the dominant world economic power and had effectively done so before two wars crippled their economies (which to a large extent were based upon imperialism)

4. i think the reason for that economic might has alot to do with the uncanny historic propensity for invention in the states. i mean looking at the major inventions of the last 200 years or so (fuck major, look at all of them) you can see what a disproportionate number came from the US. and if they didnt originate here then they were perfected and mass produced here. i think there are many root causes of this in amerikan culture, far too many for a diatribe that is this long already, but needless to say it is this mentality and "american spirit" which made the us a superpower. the military came second.

c
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 7:26 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next