Search
Register
wow Americans are stupid... and so is the whole world!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

duck_shoe

A Canadian radio station today called 3 different Americans from different parts of the States and asked them to name the country located directly south of Canada, and only one got it right, and that person had help. It is by no means a scientific study, but it is funny as hell, if you don't happen to live in America.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:11 pm
all ways osprey

dallasbboy wrote:
[Lesson 2: Yes statistics is a valid branch of math. But guess what buddy. A fucking internet website is not exactly a valid poll. Anyone without internet access is completely left out not to mention how are they designating whos really American? An ISP decoder or something? Wack.
Brian

Actually, this is not an internet poll, the results of the survey are from household in-person interviews conducted in all of the nations mentioned in the results. Your answers on the internet are just for the individual's curiousity as to how they would have done in the survey and do not effect the results of the study whatsoever. (That information can be found on the 'results' page of the survey site in the right margin.) I'm a TA for a Methodology/Statistics class, so I'm somewhat qualified to comment on this sort of thing. Not enough information is provided to truly evaluate the qualitative value of this study, but at face value it appears to be a bonafide work of social science.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:14 pm
tatto0edhands

Re: wow Americans are stupid... and so is the whole world!  Reply with quote  

August Spies wrote:
http://geosurvey.nationalgeographic.com/geosurvey/templates/question_20.html

so so so sad.

* About 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map.

*Despite the threat of war in Iraq and the daily reports of suicide bombers in Israel, less than 15 percent of the young U.S. citizens could locate either country.

*Particularly humiliating was that all countries were better able to identify the U.S. population than many young U.S. citizens. Within the U.S., almost one-third said that population was between one billion and two billion; the answer is 289 million.

*On average, fewer than 25 percent of young people worldwide could locate Israel on the map. Only about 20 percent could identify hotspots like Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq.

i have a quick question, where did you get this info? are you in hs? do you watch channel one? 'cause they showed the same thing on there today at school.

that wasnt a quick question was it ... oh well.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:58 am
August Spies

Quote:

Lesson 1: learn how to use the quote button.

Lesson 2: Yes statistics is a valid branch of math. But guess what buddy. A fucking internet website is not exactly a valid poll. Anyone without internet access is completely left out not to mention how are they designating whos really American? An ISP decoder or something? Wack.

When your sample set is incredibly exclusive and the actual process of the poll is not even disclosed then what is to be gained from the results?

Nothing.

Brian

happy now? as pointed out if you actually bothered to READ the article you would notice that it is NOT an internet poll. The internet poll (which does not even ask yoru country of origin) jsut gives you a SAMPLE of the questions given in the interviews.

Tattoohed hands:

Quote:

i have a quick question, where did you get this info? are you in hs? do you watch channel one? 'cause they showed the same thing on there today at school.

No im out of high school. someone posted it in another forum... and I read it on Fark.com (ive also never seen channel one, is it any good?)
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:19 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Alxotty

Why do stupid people like dallasboy think they are smart and insult other people?
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:46 am
just natalie

just wanted to say that i enjoyed this thread. i got 3 wrong and i am pissed at myself because when the real answers were revealed, i actually knew 2 out of the 3 i got wrong.

i'd like to see more informational threads and less crap as well.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:10 am
califunky

haha  Reply with quote  

i got thum all write! i am smartar then all of u! yeah boy!
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:29 am
barlow

I have heard this sort of thing lots of time, Americans couldn't find their own arse with both hands.
However, I have been to the US seven times now, and I would say that most of the people I have met are pretty clueful.
I don't know if New England (where I have family, and therefore visit) is unrepresentative of the rest of the country, but I always wondered where they found the people to do these tests, as I have just dont seem to meet these dummies.

I do, however, have a theory. I think Absurd, Dr Q, dallasboy and George Bush are all actually British, idiots trained as US imposters, sent to the States to perpetuate the myth that the average American is dumber than the average British citizen. We can then claim that our school system works! "Look, we are doing better than them dummies, and they run the world!!"

Maybe.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:20 am
duke_city

Quote:

The National Geographic-Roper 2002 Global Geographic Literacy Survey assesses the geographic knowledge of 3,250 young adults in nine countries, including the U.S. The research also addresses young adultsí attitudes toward the importance of geography and how aware they are of geography in the context of current events. In total, 2,916 interviews with 18- to 24-year-olds were conducted using an in-home, in-person methodology. Interviews were conducted in the following countries: United States, Canada, Mexico, France, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Great Britain, and Japan. A total of 300 interviews were conducted in each country except the U.S.; in the U.S. nearly 500 interviews were conducted with 18-to 24-year-olds and an additional sample of more than 300 25-to 34-year-olds.

All interviews were conducted using a representative sample of young adults. Interviews were conducted from mid-May to mid-July 2002.

I was wrong before about calling it an internet survey. It is a real survey but still not very accurate.

Anyone else see something wrong with a poll that has a sample set of
.00000272 of the US population? Thats 16 people from each state. Texas alone is over 5 times bigger than the country of England. To cover each state in a fair fashion you are going to have to get a lot more than 16 on each state.

They could have picked a whole bunch of silly southern towns where the highlight of their day is people stopping by to take a dump in their gas station or they could have picked the most affluent suburbs around, point is too much area to cover with such few people polled.

Its not someting anyone from another country will understand unless you have actually come here and seen it for yourself.

500 young people and 300 adult people is nothing if you consider how spread out and large the US population is.

That survey gets the bozack.

Brian (not British)
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:16 am
apeofdeath
FIRE BREATHING DRAG QUEEN

yes, but dallasyboy think about it. They sampled the same number of people from every country so your point has no base whatsoever.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:55 am
August Spies

dallas: Like it or not most surveys are done with a very small percentage of the population. its just the way stats works.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:51 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Petrouchka Rasputin

Thank you, August Spies.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:52 pm
CFL

Dallas, you are a fucking clown.

Texas is 5 times the size of England only geographically - not population wise, you primate.

Just let it go - the land of the free is filled with empty minds.

Fuck George Bush.

And fuck anyone who doesn't agree with that.

Piece
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 3:59 am
Cru Jones

what is really shown in this survey is the simple and disgustly obvious fact that americans are the most egocentric country in the world.
it doesn't have to do with intelligence whatsoever, it is proving that americans only care about america.
that's why kids don't know geography.
"why look at the map, when you already live in the happiest place on earth????"

other children in other countries realize there is a world out there.
american children are only shown things that affect the bubble that is america.
americans have the "why care about it, if it doesn't affect my daily routine" attitude, while other countries are actually aware of their surroundings and affect on this globe.
america would build mirrors around all its borders to bask in it's own glory if it could.

and yes we are behind many developed nations in areas involving school grades and motivation, study time, and time spent with non-nuclear family members.

hey, but our hours spent watching tv is number ONE.

go america!!!!! we're #1
cant be #2
or we're gonna drop a bomb on you.
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:22 am
Cire

I BELIEVE EVERYTHING I SEE ON THE INTERNET. I'm no patriot, and im not a big fan of america myself. But all of you ignorant apocryphal comments make me sick. It's easy to assess the country when your the person that looks back and interpret's everything unsubstantial that you see or hear. Try living in another country that has nothing. You people have no perspective. You all see everything obstinate and one sided. Your the customary American that you are hating on. You people that are making fun of america are the people that dont appreciate the life you live. I'm not saying america is unadulterated. I'm saying appreciate how you live. You upper class american fools.

Igorance is bliss people. Ignorance is bliss.
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 10:18 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next