Search
Register
wow Americans are stupid... and so is the whole world!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

BoggleTheory

Damn...  Reply with quote  

Someone actually wrote that "Bush is working is ass off".

Cute.

I wish I still lived in La La Land.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:36 pm
duke_city

Re: wow Americans are stupid... and so is the whole world!  Reply with quote  

August Spies wrote:
http://geosurvey.nationalgeographic.com/geosurvey/templates/question_20.html

so so so sad.

* About 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map.

*Despite the threat of war in Iraq and the daily reports of suicide bombers in Israel, less than 15 percent of the young U.S. citizens could locate either country.

*Particularly humiliating was that all countries were better able to identify the U.S. population than many young U.S. citizens. Within the U.S., almost one-third said that population was between one billion and two billion; the answer is 289 million.

*On average, fewer than 25 percent of young people worldwide could locate Israel on the map. Only about 20 percent could identify hotspots like Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq.

You are the stupidest for believing such a study. Unless you poll every single person in the US that study is worthless.

Brian
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:16 pm
ihaveagluegun

Re: wow Americans are stupid... and so is the whole world!  Reply with quote  

dallasbboy wrote:
August Spies wrote:
http://geosurvey.nationalgeographic.com/geosurvey/templates/question_20.html

so so so sad.

* About 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map.

*Despite the threat of war in Iraq and the daily reports of suicide bombers in Israel, less than 15 percent of the young U.S. citizens could locate either country.

*Particularly humiliating was that all countries were better able to identify the U.S. population than many young U.S. citizens. Within the U.S., almost one-third said that population was between one billion and two billion; the answer is 289 million.

*On average, fewer than 25 percent of young people worldwide could locate Israel on the map. Only about 20 percent could identify hotspots like Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq.

You are the stupidest for believing such a study. Unless you poll every single person in the US that study is worthless.

Brian

ya, geographical skills dont necessarily mean intelligence, even if those are pretty sad scores, only thing I didnt know was the US population part.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:19 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
name

this is not news. for the last 50 years the US has consistently ranked last among industrialized nations (and behind many developing countries) in knowledge of math, science, geography and histroy.
anyone that doesn't believe this study exposes a glaring and growing problem is probably among the 11% that couldn't find their own fucking country on a map.

true... geography alone isn't a measure of intelligence, but in conjunction with all of our population's other deficiencies, it certainly could be.

the first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem. screw anyone who thinks this is intellectually "pretentious." those people are responsible for that fact that our president is a man incapable of logical decision-making and rational thought. but, hey... at least he's got "personality," right? fuckin fifty-year old frat boy with nukes... great.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:32 pm
mc poohammer

sequence wrote:
Yeah, these two probably want to go to Bovine University when they grow up.

good quote from ralphie.

as for the comment about bush working his ass off.....you've gotta be kidding me. bush doing good? i dont think so.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:34 pm
sliquid

I had read that study before and it doesn't surprise me one bit. Why are all these frat boys getting pissy about it? Is it cause the truth hurts? WE ARENT AS SMART AS WE THINK WE ARE. Get over it. At least it gives everyone here something else to talk about besides the size of Eminems penis as compared to Jay Zs'.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:40 pm
August Spies

well thanks for the show of support everyone :wink:

When you think about it, it doesn't really matter if the common citizen knows where Iraq is. Let's just hope the US military does when they go there to fight. ;)

well I dunno. If we got to war in Iraq many people could be drafted. What does this say about us if people are going to fight in Iraq that can not even locate it? they probably don't know the issues at stake and are not informed.

Unless you poll every single person in the US that study is worthless.

Oh come now. You might as well say "every study/survery/poll/stat is worthless." There is a little subject that might interest you called Statistics. Its a valid form of math, and necessary since its impossible to poll the entire world.

this is not news. for the last 50 years the US has consistently ranked last among industrialized nations

True, I knew this.... but I was quite surprised at how bad the other countries did also.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:44 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sliquid

http://www.cnn.com/2002/EDUCATION/11/20/geography.quiz/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Young Americans may soon have to fight a war in Iraq, but most of them can't even find that country on a map, the National Geographic Society said Wednesday.

The society survey found that only about one in seven -- 13 percent -- of Americans between the age of 18 and 24, the prime age for military warriors, could find Iraq. The score was the same for Iran, an Iraqi neighbor.

Although the majority, 58 percent, of the young Americans surveyed knew that the Taliban and al Qaeda were based in Afghanistan, only 17 percent could find that country on a world map. A U.S.-led force attacked the Taliban and al Qaeda in Afghanistan in October 2001, and President Bush has said he is prepared to use force to rid Iraq of any chemical, nuclear or biological weapons programs.

WHERE IN THE WORLD
Among 18- to 24-year-old Americans given maps:

87 percent cannot find Iraq

83 percent cannot find Afghanistan

76 percent cannot find Saudi Arabia

70 percent cannot find New Jersey

49 percent cannot find New York

11 percent cannot find the United States
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:44 pm
apeofdeath
FIRE BREATHING DRAG QUEEN

yes, I concur absurd you are a moron.

Wow, that was an eye-opener.
20/20 baby! ungh
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:54 pm
Sarcastro

I feel like an idiot, i got the religion question and the el nino questions wrong

how is there more christians than muslims? (retorical question)
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:36 pm
ihaveagluegun

just wanted to add, I wasnt trying to justify world-wide stupidity, ignorance angers me, but considering there is no way around it, sometimes we just have to deal with it, right now I am in one of those "who cares about anything, life dosent even mean anything, so why worry about how it is spent, every person serves a purpose, stupid or genius" moods...I hate things that you could just argue about over and over and over again, they just make me want to melt into nothingness, blah, you crazy non-prophets board people, damn you for making me think.."ignorance is bliss."
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:47 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Solomon Klepto

Why does most of the world Hate America....  Reply with quote  

Mysterious Dr.Q wrote:
don't be making fun of any americans, it's defiling to the whole world because we're the best there is, and George Bush is working his ass off to make sure we can stay free and not die a horrid life in the clutches of that idiot, Sadam, plus, when you make fun of americans, we bounce right back and make fun of Canadians! (no, not really, just wanted to say that)
The world is not dumb my friend, you are. Just calm down, it will get better.

Because of people like this ^ .
BTW, Wake up You poor ignorant soul....
SK
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:11 pm
duke_city

August Spies wrote:
well thanks for the show of support everyone :wink:

When you think about it, it doesn't really matter if the common citizen knows where Iraq is. Let's just hope the US military does when they go there to fight. ;)

well I dunno. If we got to war in Iraq many people could be drafted. What does this say about us if people are going to fight in Iraq that can not even locate it? they probably don't know the issues at stake and are not informed.

Unless you poll every single person in the US that study is worthless.

Oh come now. You might as well say "every study/survery/poll/stat is worthless." There is a little subject that might interest you called Statistics. Its a valid form of math, and necessary since its impossible to poll the entire world.

this is not news. for the last 50 years the US has consistently ranked last among industrialized nations

True, I knew this.... but I was quite surprised at how bad the other countries did also.

Lesson 1: learn how to use the quote button.

Lesson 2: Yes statistics is a valid branch of math. But guess what buddy. A fucking internet website is not exactly a valid poll. Anyone without internet access is completely left out not to mention how are they designating whos really American? An ISP decoder or something? Wack.

When your sample set is incredibly exclusive and the actual process of the poll is not even disclosed then what is to be gained from the results?

Nothing.

Brian
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:50 pm
sinista

name wrote:
this is not news. for the last 50 years the US has consistently ranked last among industrialized nations (and behind many developing countries) in knowledge of math, science, geography and histroy.

name is right on point. i've had a bunch of cousins move here from overseas. they come over here and get straight A's, become valedictorians, and get scholarships. they would do better in english classes than most of the US-born kids. i still remember my mom questioning me in middle school as to why were doing certain things in math so late. my cousins were doing things back in poland in 2nd grade that i was doing in 4th.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:58 pm
gerhupsom vanbone

MR. Q

Americas the only country youve lived in man. Its not that great here.I havent lived in any other countries but its not that great here.

how old were these people.how can they not know where america is?

Granted its probably everywhere now, but that besides the point.

I want to know the suicide rate of other countries cause it seems to be quite high in america.

Remember only one percent of the world is stupid, the rest just seem to think its fun and want to follow.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:03 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next