Register
DEPARTING WORDS
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

DEPARTING WORDS  Reply with quote  

Hello everybody.

First off, pats on the back make me feel cheesy a lot of the time, so please don't respond to my posts with overly-positive remarks unless you truly feel compelled to do so. It looks like I egged it on or something...so I WILL edit your posts and make you say something bad about me if I have to. However, I am also a fragile boy...so don't let your pot-shots hit too close to home.

I go above and beyond my obligation as an entertainer to interact and offer myself to the people who appreciate my work. I like to do it. Partly because I'm neurotic and anti-social in weird ways, but the whole process keeps me sane and grounded. When I'm done a show, I don't care so much about the hand shakes and positive feedback...because what the hell else is a person supposed to say to a performer who just spilled his guts on stage? Seriously. I have been to shows where I didn't dig the performance at all, but when the artist walks by me I can't do ANYTHING except smile and say, "Good job." It's like a girl asking you if you think her ass looks big in those pants. Even if her ass DOES look fat...even if you DO like fat asses...you can't say yes. I don't why the hell I thought of that analogy, but I did.

When I'm done a performance I try to take a minute or so to collect myself on stage. Drink some water. Then it's off to the merch table to try and sell what I can to the people about to leave. I do this because it personalizes the transaction between artist and fan. People are more apt to buy a cd when it is coming from the artist's hand. It's nice to look into people's eyes who support you. Pictures aren't my thing, but who the hell am I to reject a photo? I usually stick around until the place empties out.

Then I go to my hotel. Alone. I go to the hotel alone because I am too tired to hang out and talk to people. I don't want to be around people. This used to send me into depression though...the dynamic of being cheered by hundreds of random people for a couple hours and then laying in a quiet room all alone for the rest of the night. But like most other things that entail me being alone...I have grown used to it. To the point that I PREFER it that way. It feels comfortable.

So when I go to the hotel room I take a shower and wash off the smoke. I cough until I hack up disgusting mucus. I log online to go through emails. I respond to my emails. I make updates on the site. I do these things because I run shit on my own. I don't have "people."

Now for someone to come on my site and claim that I treat my "fans" inappropriately...I scoff at that. It's a slap in the face. I have dealt with innumerable people (some I have NEVER met) dealing with unmentionable things more times than I can count. Seriously. I do it because it is the position I have put myself into. Some people need guidance...and sometimes it appears as if I have answers. Sometimes I do.

A lot of what I do is not to be EXPECTED of any artist. These are NOT obligations. And to be quite honest...it is not a practice that I will be able to keep for too much longer. It's unfeasible. Here I am...on my birthday...laying on the floor of my apartment...it's 1 AM and I haven't packed for my European tour yet...and I'm writing an essay to explain myself. For what??

I don't fucking know. It's not going to increase my fanbase or your appreciation of me. Nothing will change because of it. It's just some strange habit I have gotten myself into. It's bullshit. Bullshit. Between my last trip and this next one, I have stressed myself out while writing and recording for two albums. But I come to this messageboard a LOT to offer material for those who like the music enough to visit our website. To offer my opinion on random matters. To interact. I do this multiple times a day. Tell me ANY artist who does that shit? I don't see it anywhere.

I considered shutting down the messageboard today, because honestly...there are times when it causes more grief than anything. And I am getting threats of "hacking"...as if I give a shit. i don't. If this messageboard got hacked to bits I wouldn't think twice about doing away with it for good. As much as I have offered myself to it...i just don't see the worth of it beyond letting random people posts their thoughts every so often. but that can be done elsewhere. I care about quality control...so believe me...if your post was deleted it's because I could give a shit about your subject matter being discussed on my website. End of story. Go cry on another messageboard. Sorry, buddy.

I am about to leave for Europe. Solo trip. I am visiting countries (some I never knew existed) to share myself and the messages that get delivered through my music. I am going there to entertain people...somehow. That's the point of my trip. To entertain. If I fail as an entertainer, then I lose. THAT...THAT is my obligation. To entertain. I owe you a performance if I am booked to do a show. I owe you good music if I put out an album. These are my obligations. Beyond those things...I have none.

I won't be able to post much on this board while I'm gone. I would like to make it a habit to post less anyway. When I have time to check out the messageboard and add my thoughts, I will. When I have updates on music and shows, I will post them. But really...like most of the other people who used to post on this messageboard on a greater scale...I am going to phase out.

if you understand the situation...thank you.

if you think less of me as an artist or person because I don't want to cater to the virtual public as much anymore...so be it.

it's a no-win situation for me.

Peace,
Paul Franklin
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:06 am
Dee

Who's Paul Franklin?

No but seriously .... I don't think any of us can truly understand what you are going through...but to respect it we must.
Good luck in Europe
Have sex with some hot french ladies.
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:14 am
sequence

I want a chronicle of the Eastern European portion of the trip...I found my time there so interesting, I'd very interested to see how you feel about being in Bosnia, Slovenia, Hungary, and other countries over there. Some of the best people I've ever met....enjoy yourself....

and fuck whoever doesn't appreciate it.

Adam
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:19 am
MenaceSquad

good luck  Reply with quote  

Good Luck in Europe
Try to enjoy yourself :D

Happy Birthday by the way
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:31 am
firefly

I always knew it would be a matter of time. It's totally understandable.

Question: Is it that you're not able to fall asleep or that you choose to stay up to do the work?

P.S. Good Luck
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:35 am
Five-O-seven

Have fun or don't

I saw Mr. Dibbs puke on Slug tonight.

Last time I saw him puke, it was on you.

When you get back, make sure to wash off the European smell off of you along with the smoke.
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:41 am
Jaryd

Last edited by Jaryd on Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 1:37 am
duke_city

djdee2005 wrote:
Who's Paul Franklin?

Hes boys with Gabe Sanchez.

Brian
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:20 am
hippo

999  Reply with quote  

I love you Sage....

Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:10 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DM

.....  Reply with quote  

Cliche and redundant, but....have a good trip. Regarding the website, I almost always agree with the bullshit posts you lock, and assume the ones you delete are warranted also. Europe is beautiful.

abacus
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:14 am
yournotyourfuckingtshirt

feliz cumpleanos my friend... have a killer world tour
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:34 am
amo1ne

Happy Birthday Sage, hope your day was on a more positive tip than this thread. I act sarcastic and post dumb shit on here A LOT, but in all honesty man, your a really cool guy and I really respect the fact that you can get online and build with your fans and offer advice, etc. It's really cool that we can get to know you through medians other than your music and it's too bad if you decide to do otherwise from now on because of some retard that doesn't have a clue. Eitherway it's been fun man and I'm pretty sure everyone on here feels the same way and for what it's worth it was cool to be able to share feelings and ideas with you and laughs (even some at your expense) ;) and I'd hope you wouldn't take whatever inspired this thread so seriously cause it's pretty stupid and the kid was probably just an attention whore trying to get his "favorite mc" to reply to his post.

Oh and what you said about just heading straight home after shows, I can't even begin to tell you how familiar that scene is. For some reason, even if I'm with all my friends having the best time ever, hiphop shows are just about the most tiring events in the entire world. I don't think there's ever been one single show that I've been to where I didn't head straight home after and fall fast asleep for 10 hours so that's perfectly understandable man. I'd be especially dead if I was travelling to so many places and I'm sure rockin the mic and keeping the crowd entertained and interested is 100 times more stressful and tiring than watching it happen. Anyways have fun in Europe man, don't be too lonely. PEACE.

Amo.
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:41 am
excellrec

yeah, i've always known you wouldn't post here forever sage. Honestly, i would suggest you just stop. for more reasons than mentionable i suppose. i feel like this message board would be a hinderance. all the reduntant topics and queries. I know people all mean well, but really, it'a alot of redundancy to weed through. i would however like to take this opportunity to thouroughly express my gratitude for time taken thus far on your behalf. As well as to all others that have posted on here. i truly do regard this community highly and appreciate all the views and opinions that have been offered on here. so i suppose that is all, peace
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:48 am
name

appreciation  Reply with quote  

I come to this board every once in a while... for the sole purpose of getting info on releases, tour dates, etc. In that respect I think this board is pretty helpful. But... in general i cant stand these things. Ive never once posted a message on this or any other board so here goes.

For some reason I cant just absorb an artistic offering (especially poetry, etc) without having some inkling about who's offering it. Call it wrong, but I cant just "enjoy it" if there's the chance that the person is feeding me hipocritical lines or contrived brushstrokes. Over the course of a year or so i've found myself enjoying your offerrings more and more by piecing together some incomplete picture of who you are. Apart for what comes through in your songs and poems, a lot of pieces come from this board (however fucked up that might be). Anyway... thanks for that.

If you do "phase out" of this message board then i guess it'll be a loss for all of us who want to know more about the people we lend our ear to. But I know that as an artist you've lent MUCH more than an ear... so no one should be pissed about it. So, even though they might annoy the shit out of you, here's a big huge pat on the back. You're interaction with your listeners without a doubt sets you apart... you even managed to motivate me to post message in a forum! I knew the first time would be special.

take care
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:55 am
Abinatra

.  Reply with quote  

happy born day
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:00 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next